Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I can honestly say I’d never even heard of Wheel of Time until this trailer came out.

But then I don’t pay attention to anything.

Even myself.

Especially myself.

Ignore me.

I certainly will.
    The series or the books or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The series or the books or both?
    Firstly, WHY WON’T PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION WHEN I TELL THEM TO IGNORE ME?!!

Also, both.

Firstly, WHY WON’T PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION WHEN I TELL THEM TO IGNORE ME?!!
    I ignored what you said.

Also, both.
    Huh, that slightly surprises me. Though I guess I wouldn't class them as higher than like mid-tier prestigious(?) so perhaps that's not reasonable.

I ignored what you said.
    ….

….

….

Huh, that slightly surprises me. Though I guess I wouldn't class them as higher than like mid-tier prestigious(?) so perhaps that's not reasonable.
    I honestly am oblivious to most things.

It’s like I live in a cardboard box wrapped in brown paper inside an opaque zorbing ball in a bathosphere at the bottom of the ocean.

I don’t know pop culture. I don’t know nerd culture.

The only culture I do know about is yoghurt. And I don’t know anything about that.

Neat
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Huh.

I had no idea this was coming. So Prime will have both the LotR series and Wheel of Time in their stable.

Very much trying to chase that Game of Thrones adult fantasy market, eh?

I read the first Wheel of Time book, kind of liked it, but felt no compulsion to continue with the series so I'm not sure if I'll watch this.

Might be a way to absorb the material with committing to a ton of really chonky books tho...
    I got about halfway through the book series. I think book 9 was where I stopped? Whatever book it was where three days passed in a 1000 page book, and nothing really progressed?

Anyway, the Dragon-Age accent in the trailer is a bit of a turn off; I'm rather tired of fantasy stuff with that kind of thing, the breathy, faux-somewhere-in-England accent (no idea if it's a real one, but I'm tired of it).

Wonder how much they'll play with the plot (in this case, they kind of HAVE to or it'll be fifteen years before the series is 'finished', maybe). Wonder how much that'll honk off everyone. spoilers:
    Wonder if they'll keep the central character in a somewhat male-fantasy polyamorous relationship with three women.
    end of spoilers Spoiler, I guess?

Colour me morbidly curious, though I doubt I'll watch it.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Wheel of Time really got bogged down from Book 8 to 11, almost sank the series, if you can power through them(or read summaries) it picks up again once Sanderson takes over with Book 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Wheel of Time really got bogged down from Book 8 to 11, almost sank the series, if you can power through them(or read summaries) it picks up again once Sanderson takes over with Book 12.
    It picks up in book 12?! How many books were there in this series I’ve never heard of?!

It picks up in book 12?! How many books were there in this series I’ve never heard of?!
    14 books. The last two were supposed to be one book but it was too long even by doorstopper standards
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It sure sank it for me. Glad to hear people who stuck with it got a good ending.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I agree with Sharp. I got to just before the Prequel came out (so like ten books in) before I stopped reading (mostly because I was irritated he did a prequel instead of KEEPING THE STORY GOING).

But WoT is a good/unique series. Just be prepared for long stretches of….not a lot of action and more names that start with E, Eu, and G than you can shake a stick at or remember their relevance to the plot.

One day I’ll finish it.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    But WoT is a good/unique series. Just be prepared for long stretches of….not a lot of action and more names that start with E, Eu, and G than you can shake a stick at or remember their relevance to the plot.
    This was my reaction to the first book.

Like, I liked it but felt like it could have been half as long.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

This was my reaction to the first book.

Like, I liked it but felt like it could have been half as long.
    There was one book, oh number eight or nine I think, where I swear not a single. Blasted. Thing. Happened except me getting mad at Euganjak (that’s not her name, but there are too many E names and I’m not looking that up). 1000 pages and only like the last 150 actually meant anything.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

it was intended to be 6, but Jordan fell into the same trap that George RR Martin did and the series started bloating and it really started getting bad with book 8 and progressively got worse with every one, then he announced he had cardiac amyloidosis and a few years to live and passed away before he could finish the series. So his wife hired Sanderson to finish the series based on his already written stuff, notes, and outlines. But by this point there was simply too much to cram into a final book and it got split into 3 instead(and all 3 are some of the longer books in the series).

Anyone want to see what Rick and Morty would be as alive action? Check this out from Adult Swim.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.