Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Obviously, it's telling you to write a mystery/horror novel. It's also telling you that you're horny.
    I didn't feel horny. I said I checked myself out, but that's not quite true - in my dream I overheard a teacher muttering something about saggy breasts with my keen blindness induced enhanced hearing and worriedly felt myself up before she noticed and was like "I didn't mean you!"

...I worriedly felt myself up. That's something I never thought I'd type out...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    ...I just had the strangest dream. I was a blind teenage girl investigating a mystery at high school with another girl.

I dreamed I was blind. A teenager. And female.

That's a new one.

Didn't get as deep into the mystery aspect as I'd have liked before waking up, but I know it involved dead rats that made that industrial machine electrical WHUM WHUM WHUM noise.

Honestly, it'd make a great premise for a YA novel. But I'm still trying to figure out what my mind was trying to tell me with this one...

Also yes I checked myself before I woke up and I was petite and perky. Not sure how I feel about that.
    If you were blind, how did you 'see' your dream? Are you sure this wasn't viewed in the 3rd person?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If you were blind, how did you 'see' your dream? Are you sure this wasn't viewed in the 3rd person?
    It was weird - there was like in a lot of my dreams kind of 2 pov's. There was me the dreamer viewing it some times, and me the character in my dream, which is normal, a lot of times I'm both 3rd and 1st person in my dreams. And 3rd person dreamer/viewer me saw fine like watching a movie, while 1st person character me had this really blurry vision like if I took my glasses off and crossed my eyes, and I just sort of shifted back and forth. It was...interesting. 3rd pov me could see me hanging onto people or objects to get around, while 1st pov me had to hold onto people or objects not to run into things...I did walk into and knocked over either a tv or computer monitor I think...
    Last edited by Vakanai; 09-06-2021 at 07:02 AM.

It was weird - there was like in a lot of my dreams kind of 2 pov's. There was me the dreamer viewing it some times, and me the character in my dream, which is normal, a lot of times I'm both 3rd and 1st person in my dreams. And 3rd person dreamer/viewer me saw fine like watching a movie, while 1st person character me had this really blurry vision like if I took my glasses off and crossed my eyes, and I just sort of shifted back and forth. It was...interesting. 3rd pov me could see me hanging onto people or objects to get around, while 1st pov me had to hold onto people or objects not to run into things...I did walk into and knocked over either a tv or computer monitor I think...
    The gender thing I wouldn't worry about. It's not that dissimilar to how I've played many RPG characters, some male and some female.

When you talked about the POV, I went and looked up a good article on it: Point of View in 2021: Third Person Omniscient vs. Third Person Limited vs. First Person

I've had several story ideas that have come from my dreams, and sometimes I also mix up 1st and 3rd, or do both.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It sure sank it for me. Glad to hear people who stuck with it got a good ending.
    Sanderson did a good job getting it back on track. Yeah, books 9 through 11 were borderline painful. 1000 pages where the main character is in under 30 of them and you spend 600 pages dealing with borer skirmishes and politics between people who should just be allies against the big bad in places that just don't matter.

I started reading the series around the time book 5 came out, and read each new book as it came. I do that to myself.

Jordan was really good at world-building and spectacular at complexities: combat is richly developed, magic (channeling) is details and rules-based, there are games within games between so many factions.

But. There are almost 2900 named characters in the series. And at least 200 are still plot-critical approaching the end of the series (others are around, just no longer plot-critical by then). That really go away from him. I think he loved Elayne and Gawyn as much as Rand and Mat, but we didn't need that much Elayne and Gawyn filler.

Sanderson was a good choice to pick it up and tie it together, for me: he's pretty good at dealing with complicated systems and such, having displayed the knack for that over several series.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I didn't feel horny. I said I checked myself out, but that's not quite true - in my dream I overheard a teacher muttering something about saggy breasts with my keen blindness induced enhanced hearing and worriedly felt myself up before she noticed and was like "I didn't mean you!"

...I worriedly felt myself up. That's something I never thought I'd type out...
    Were you lucid during this part of your dream? Do you remember questioning yourself over "Wait, why am I suddenly a teenaged girl? Why am I blind? Why am I in a classroom?" etc?
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Were you lucid during this part of your dream? Do you remember questioning yourself over "Wait, why am I suddenly a teenaged girl? Why am I blind? Why am I in a classroom?" etc?
    Nope, not lucid, didn't question a thing. I was a blind teenage girl, it made perfect sense, I just went with it. Dreams.

Extraordinary Member

One Piece: A reminder that as cool as Kaido is as a villain he's a really horrid parent. Luckily Yamato had some good early influences from an unexpected source.

My Hero Academia: A very heartfelt and emotional end to this first arc of the series final act. spoilers:
    As much as I enjoyed Deku's forray into anti-hero aesthetics (dude still had his license through this whole thing and was working with the top three heroes, the only dark part was his poor self-care), I'm glad to have the crybaby hero back.
    end of spoilers

SPY X FAMILY: Well... that got really bloody really quick, as should be expected I guess. Lots of cool new feats for Yor and her co-worker though. Their opponents need to step up their game a bit if they want to have any shot at this.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

One for the LotR fans perhaps

I'm getting tired of the shared universe concept of comics becoming the dominating aspect of comic book movies and shows. Just had a massive debate over why not all DC live action media should be a part of the DCEU, and like usually in such debates, it went from me just wanting variety in these things, to starting to actively despise the DCEU more just because of the fanboys. Like I get people are married to the shared universe thing, but crap it feels like some fans are rabid over it. Even the comic books have a bunch of out of continuity stories every year, the occasional show and film shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm getting tired of the shared universe concept of comics becoming the dominating aspect of comic book movies and shows. Just had a massive debate over why not all DC live action media should be a part of the DCEU, and like usually in such debates, it went from me just wanting variety in these things, to starting to actively despise the DCEU more just because of the fanboys. Like I get people are married to the shared universe thing, but crap it feels like some fans are rabid over it. Even the comic books have a bunch of out of continuity stories every year, the occasional show and film shouldn't be a big deal.
    DC is competing with Marvel, but they can't so easily. Marvel comics began creating a single Universe decades before DC did. So it was easier for Marvel to take that shares universe and translate it into feature films.

DC also has a long standing problem with rewriting the past, to the point of total confusion. That doesn't help things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    DC is competing with Marvel, but they can't so easily. Marvel comics began creating a single Universe decades before DC did. So it was easier for Marvel to take that shares universe and translate it into feature films.

DC also has a long standing problem with rewriting the past, to the point of total confusion. That doesn't help things.
    I brought that up in the debate, that DC isn't Marvel and that the DCEU isn't the MCU. Their response was to get there they needed to double down and continue the shared universe. Even though DCEU has been going on for 8 years and isn't even close to halfway to where the MCU is with audiences. And again, I wasn't debating if the DCEU should continue, I was debating that not every DC live action movie or show should have to be DCEU. But they are very focused that it should all connect because "only way to compete with MCU". Because anything other than competing and answering the MCU doesn't seem to matter.

It was very frustrating. It's like some fans love the MCU so much that they won't accept anything less or other from DC except an exact clone of the MCU but with DC characters.
    And I'm not even that fond of the MCU! Outside of Iron Man all my top favorite Marvel movies came from Fox or Sony. It just kind of got to me, the insistence that there's only one MCU-ified future for superhero media and the belief in the wake of the Disney+ shows that not even the shows can be out of continuity any longer.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

I just heard that if Jim Henson were alive today he'd be 85. Considering he's been dead forever I looked it up and he was only 53 when he died.
    Crap, it felt like he was much older when I was little.