Extraordinary Member

I have now seen the Dune movie and I find it to be one of those weird movies where I like pretty much all the individual elements but it just didn't clique with me as a whole.

The lore and world building was cool, it has good actors and actresses that I enjoy that put in good performances, the sets and design of everything looked good and all the silly scifi concepts are well realised. But I found the story telling and directing to be almost completely unengaging, and to sit through that for 2 hours and 40 minutes was a bit of a chore honestly. I won't be seeing the sequels.

I had the same feeling after seeing Blade Runner 2049 so I'm thinking that I might just not care for Denis Villeneuve's directing style.

The two Dune fans I saw it with really enjoyed it though. So I'm happy for them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    It’s not about the speed of individual words. It’s about the relentless and unvaried nature of the delivery, without giving pauses to allow any point to sink in. And with the monotone thing it’s more about a complete lack of emphasis on any words or points.

I also failed to mention that some of the examples she was using in the visuals might have helped her to make a point had she actually referenced any of them (apart from the Killing Joke, which she conveniently failed to mention ultimately turned Barbara, despite treating her very badly within the story itself, into Oracle who was a far more engaging version of the character than Batgirl Barb). And sometimes she was describing both fridging and a more positive, arc-concluding and validating form of character death over footage of the same example. For instance, I couldn’t tell whether she was implying that Lisa Tepes’ death in Castlevania was handled well or poorly.

It’s an abject lesson in how not to deliver any sort of information.

But YMMV. If you’re fine with it, great. Enjoy.

I just thought it was execrable.
    1. Again, I don't think she goes too fast to absorb what she's saying, and I think she varies her delivery a fine amount
    2. Killing Joke didn't turn Barbara into Oracle, that happened later, under different authors. The fact that someone else later pulled her out of the fridge doesn't change the fact that she got stuffed into it.
    3. Your free to think whatever you want, I just take issue with people presenting their subjective opinions as objective fact.

Injustice! Where you can murder a pregnant woman, nuke a city, send the world to hell and still receive a slap on the wrist!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Injustice! Where you can murder a pregnant woman, nuke a city, send the world to hell and still receive a slap on the wrist!
    Only if you're Harley Quinn. Every other villain is fair game.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    3. Your free to think whatever you want, I just take issue with people presenting their subjective opinions as objective fact.
    You do this one a lot though, my guy. Touch hypocritical, yea?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Isn't that just comics
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Isn't that just comics
    True. Logically, the Joker should've been prosecuted and executed for his crimes a hundred times over by now or at least given a life sentence, but he keeps getting sent back to the revolving loony bin because "He's crazy, he doesn't know any better."
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    True. Logically, the Joker should've been prosecuted and executed for his crimes a hundred times over by now or at least given a life sentence, but he keeps getting sent back to the revolving loony bin because "He's crazy, he doesn't know any better."
    If they did, there's always a chance he could come back as a ghost though. That'd be pretty bad for everyone lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Fine. You’re right. I never meant to present my subjective views as objective anyway. I was just ranting. Please feel free to change the one time I used the word ‘objectively’ in respect of this YouTuber’s work to ‘subjectively’. Or don’t and ignore my rant completely.

I mean you were perfectly free to do either of those things anyway, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I have now seen the Dune movie and I find it to be one of those weird movies where I like pretty much all the individual elements but it just didn't clique with me as a whole.

The lore and world building was cool, it has good actors and actresses that I enjoy that put in good performances, the sets and design of everything looked good and all the silly scifi concepts are well realised. But I found the story telling and directing to be almost completely unengaging, and to sit through that for 2 hours and 40 minutes was a bit of a chore honestly. I won't be seeing the sequels.

I had the same feeling after seeing Blade Runner 2049 so I'm thinking that I might just not care for Denis Villeneuve's directing style.

The two Dune fans I saw it with really enjoyed it though. So I'm happy for them.
    I heard that this movie is supposed to be a two-parter. How far do they get in this portion?

I know Feyd's not in it yet, but do they at least get to the Fremen, Stilgar's seitch and Jamis?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    I heard that this movie is supposed to be a two-parter. How far do they get in this portion?

I know Feyd's not in it yet, but do they at least get to the Fremen, Stilgar's seitch and Jamis?
    It is indeed a two parter at least. They are very up front with this, calling it Dune Part 1 in the title of the film.

spoilers:
    The final event shown in the movie is Paul's duel with Jamis, and him and his mother joining the Fremen after it.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It is indeed a two parter at least. They are very up front with this, calling it Dune Part 1 in the title of the film.

spoilers:
    The final event shown in the movie is Paul's duel with Jamis, and him and his mother joining the Fremen after it.
    end of spoilers
    Ah cool. Yeah I suppose that would be the logical splitting point.

2h40min though, man, sounds like they're really expanding things relative to the old David Lynch film. From your review it sounds like it's kind of dry - heh - overall, though I think that might be a deliberate choice which is somewhat true to the books. The chapters have a very introspective narration style for the POV characters who, at time, explain things at length, or otherwise take whatever futuristic conventions they have around them for granted. Like, people take ornithopters and folding space as a fairly common thing, but man, stillsuits are weird!

Been cautiously optimistic myself, might see it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    If they did, there's always a chance he could come back as a ghost though. That'd be pretty bad for everyone lol
    Yeah Joker's a weird case bc they curve things so he's always around/dominant. He's like a demon now.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Yeah Joker's a weird case bc they curve things so he's always around/dominant. He's like a demon now.
    Yeah, last I remember they were leaning into that, huh. Honestly, his multiple origins keep him interesting, for me at least. However, I think nothing will top "Gangster falls into chemicals and becomes a clown somehow." Vaguely Pennywise-esque Joker's a good second best though lol.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I can relate to some of Beadle's feelings here. There is a strain of YouTube critique or analysis that is frustratingly superficial or banal.

It feels like it feeds into the cultural concept of being able to "solve" media, like there's an objective set of rules for what is good or bad. I find it quite frustratingly limiting in how one can talk about stuff because there aren't, broadly, any real rules and art is fundamentally subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    (Sorry about the rant, but this sort of valueless, supercilious shite masquerading as informative content pisses me off. And I know it’s ironic, given that I referenced the Riverdale video only a few days ago, but that was actually entertaining, and didn’t just make the same point again and again and again.)
    One reason I downloaded an extension that hides the YouTube rec feed on my PC is that if I see one more fucking video with a "[insert new movie/video game related thing] EXPLAINED!" clickbait title, I'm going to seethe in my chair and imagine burning down the YouTube offices, but not actually do it, because then I would miss out of my favorite podcasts, but I'm still going to feel annoyed. :B

I know it's mostly just people cynically following marketing trends, though, and I think a lot of these people are making videos for younger audiences, or people who really don't do much critical thinking about media, but just want to hear someone talk authoritatively about the movie they saw.

There's also the people who just auto-play these videos for white noise while they work on something else, and probably only add it to their Watch Later list just because it nominally talks about something they've heard of.

The overall effect, though, is just feeling like most of this content is just a slush pile of surface level listings of what, to anyone comfortably familiar with media or pop culture, would probably just say, "Yeah, no ****" to.

(The other reason is a constant stream of less-than-one-minute show clips and animal home videos that pop up for weeks if I dare search for such a clip so much as once.)
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 10-09-2021 at 04:56 PM.