The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

While Gangsta can be a hard read due to the extreme violence, I'm finding a lot of good points in the writing. One thing I enjoy is that while the central character - Nico, an augmented human - is ranked as top-end for his kind, he's actually not. Bit of a trope inversion, there.

See, 'Twilights' (yes, that's the name given to them) tend to be ranked by letter and number - C-2, D-5, A-0, that kind of thing. Lower the number and closer to 'A', the better you are (at least that's what I've sussed out so far - not a lot of info-dumps in this, another thing I like). Nico is rated A-0, or something along those lines. But again, that's not the whole truth.

Apparently Nico is basically a B-5 or in that ballpark (they mentioned it chapters ago, I forget the exact rank) - good, but not nearly the best. However, when he gets in serious fights he literally overdoses himself on combat drugs and by doing so manages to keep up with the higher-level people; he's ranked A-0 because of how well he has done in fights with them, not because he's 'that good'. This also means that he usually has issues AFTER those fights and needs to go to the hospital, and it's probably shortening his lifespan by some ridiculous degree.

But it's a nice twist on 'Protagonist is just bestest and keeps getting better'. Nope, Nico just jacks himself up on combat drugs.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

....I'm having some sort of mental breakdown with the odd fact that I've been working with just one manager this week in a rather big store. Like not enough coverage for...Anything really. If a customer is asking to look at something while the two of use employees are preoccupied, tough ****.

...the short staffed situation is ridiculous. Plus, people still can't read freaking signs that are just right there had they paid attention...

Extraordinary Member

So on Twitter, Curtis Arnott (Takahata101) is revealed he's reprising the role of Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate Abridged for the Dio vs. Alucard Death Battle.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    So on Twitter, Curtis Arnott (Takahata101) is revealed he's reprising the role of Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate Abridged for the Dio vs. Alucard Death Battle.
    Sweet. Now, I wonder who they'll get to voice Dio. If they somehow get a hold of Patrick Seitz, I will be both pleased and impressed.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Boku no Hero Academia: That...is the single most overpowered, broken-as-hell Quirk that's been introduced in MHA thus far and if Shigaraki/AFO manages to absorb it from S&S, Deku and co. can soundly kiss their asses goodbye.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Boku no Hero Academia: That...is the single most overpowered, broken-as-hell Quirk that's been introduced in MHA thus far and if Shigaraki/AFO manages to absorb it from S&S, Deku and co. can soundly kiss their asses goodbye.
    I'm a little like "what's the point of this?"

Like Shigaraki was already melting entire cities before he got his big sexy upgrade and AFO's additional powers and now he might get even more new tricks on top of that?

I don't know, it kind of just feels like stake raising for the sake of it to me. Like a real hat on a hat situation.

EDIT: All that said, I did think Stars & Stripes catching the laser was cool.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-15-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    While Gangsta can be a hard read due to the extreme violence, I'm finding a lot of good points in the writing. One thing I enjoy is that while the central character - Nico, an augmented human - is ranked as top-end for his kind, he's actually not. Bit of a trope inversion, there.

See, 'Twilights' (yes, that's the name given to them) tend to be ranked by letter and number - C-2, D-5, A-0, that kind of thing. Lower the number and closer to 'A', the better you are (at least that's what I've sussed out so far - not a lot of info-dumps in this, another thing I like). Nico is rated A-0, or something along those lines. But again, that's not the whole truth.

Apparently Nico is basically a B-5 or in that ballpark (they mentioned it chapters ago, I forget the exact rank) - good, but not nearly the best. However, when he gets in serious fights he literally overdoses himself on combat drugs and by doing so manages to keep up with the higher-level people; he's ranked A-0 because of how well he has done in fights with them, not because he's 'that good'. This also means that he usually has issues AFTER those fights and needs to go to the hospital, and it's probably shortening his lifespan by some ridiculous degree.

But it's a nice twist on 'Protagonist is just bestest and keeps getting better'. Nope, Nico just jacks himself up on combat drugs.

Commence the crossover!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post

I have to admit, the idea that the fnal bad guy of One Piece is spoilers:
    also Kaguya
    end of spoilers is hilarious to me

Awesome.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Commence the crossover!
    That's a Gangstar.

Unfortunately, he might not fit in so well in the world of Gangsta

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Awesome.
    The narrator is the greatest character in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'm a little like "what's the point of this?"

Like Shigaraki was already melting entire cities before he got his big sexy upgrade and AFO's additional powers and now he might get even more new tricks on top of that?

I don't know, it kind of just feels like stake raising for the sake of it to me. Like a real hat on a hat situation.

EDIT: All that said, I did think Stars & Stripes catching the laser was cool.
    Maybe Horikoshi feels that Shigaraki doesn't have enough advantages over Izuku?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    That's a Gangstar.

Unfortunately, he might not fit in so well in the world of Gangsta

Oooh... that's an aesthetic I can get behind.

Reading the first chapter it reminds a little of Zombie Powder from back in the day. I guess I gotta read it now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Maybe Horikoshi feels that Shigaraki doesn't have enough advantages over Izuku?
    When has Shigaraki not had advantages over Deku?

Deku never got a win on him to really justify the dynamic of Shigaraki needing to power up per say. Again, don't get me wrong, the series pivoting to villains-as-protagonists for a bit was a lot of fun and one of the best periods of the series but... eh, I just don't feel invested in the battle between them? Even with him getting a bunch of new powers, I don't really feel like the supposed rivalry between the two is that interesting because it's kinda lopsided but they both have just been receiving buffs.