Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    A friend of mine mentioned that they might start an Anima campaign. I fear I have gone mad as a result, as my casual browsing through the advantages turned into writing an actual guide ranking each of them.
    I do a mental version of this every single damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    …this, I totally comprehend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I do a mental version of this every single damn time.
    That's part of why I'm writing it down. I realized that I was doing it mentally every time I made a new sheet, and since I'm likely to make at least three characters for this game before picking one I figured getting it in writing would save me time in the long run.

I'll post it here once it's done, that way we can get some discussion going if anyone disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I actually thought it was a meme from some of the images I saw the past couple days.

Wait, what?

Boy I hope that's the equivalent of a marketing typo, because that suddenly throws the whole "series" into some rather strange anachronistic implications.
    Hoe do you figure? Like.. The complaints I'm seeing so far seem rather sily to me, what's the big deal exactly?
    Last edited by Cody; 10-30-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

That's part of why I'm writing it down. I realized that I was doing it mentally every time I made a new sheet, and since I'm likely to make at least three characters for this game before picking one I figured getting it in writing would save me time in the long run.

I'll post it here once it's done, that way we can get some discussion going if anyone disagrees.
    Presume you’re using the Core Exxet advantages rather than the Core ones…?

Big difference for some. *cough*Elan*cough*

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Presume you’re using the Core Exxet advantages rather than the Core ones…?

Big difference for some. *cough*Elan*cough*
    Core, I don't have Exxet (a friend does) and am not fond of some of its changes, particularly regarding how spells work.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Hoe do you figure? Like.. The complaints I'm seeing so far seem rather sily to me, what's the big deal exactly?
    I'm just thinking, the Toy Story setting never really indicated high technology on the level of FTL warp ships, never indicated confirmed alien contact, etc. Stinky Pete talks about how Sputnik paved the way for the big Space Race, kicking him and Woody's Wild West era of pop culture to the wayside, and technology seems to measure up to our real world as far as entertainment technology progress. Buzz Lightyear is inspired by the general dream of a fantastical sci-fi future.

But according to the article, Buzz is now inspired by an actual sci-fi future era of technology and adventure. You'd think that would have considerably higher impact on civilization beyond inspiring some plastic action figures.

Now, I don't know what the deal with the talking, self-mobilizing, sapient toys is. That always seemed to be magic. Maybe its actually some form of super-technology that has hidden itself from humanity. I don't know. Maybe its some physical law of the universe that sapience evolves in a wider variety of ways and mechanisms. Irregardless, it just seems very strange that a world where science fiction tech and confirmed existence of aliens has still resulted in a "normal" world like ours as far as culture and tech have developed. They don't even have cell phones in Toy Story 1, and you'd think they'd have smart phones well before someone cracked sci-fi warp gates.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 10-30-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Core, I don't have Exxet (a friend does) and am not fond of some of its changes, particularly regarding how spells work.
    There’s quite a few changes in advantages.

Some advantages have been boosted, like Acute Senses is now +50 rather than +30.

They’ve removed Natural Learner 3 completely.

And Elan’s been nerfed hard. Gone from 20/45/60 to 20/40/50 (which means Elisabetta actually has 33 CP worth of Elan, among her various other bullshit advantages at age… 13 or whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I'm just thinking, the Toy Story setting never really indicated high technology on the level of FTL warp ships, never indicated confirmed alien contact, etc. Stinky Pete talks about how Sputnik paved the way for the big Space Race, kicking him and Woody's Wild West era of pop culture to the wayside, and technology seems to measure up to our real world as far as entertainment technology progress. Buzz Lightyear is inspired by the general dream of a fantastical sci-fi future.

But according to the article, Buzz is now inspired by an actual sci-fi future era of technology and adventure. You'd think that would have considerably higher impact on civilization beyond inspiring some plastic action figures.

Now, I don't know what the deal with the talking, self-mobilizing, sapient toys is. That always seemed to be magic. Maybe its actually some form of super-technology that has hidden itself from humanity. I don't know. Maybe its some physical law of the universe that sapience evolves in a wider variety of ways and mechanisms. Irregardless, it just seems very strange that a world where science fiction tech and confirmed existence of aliens has still resulted in a "normal" world like ours as far as culture and tech have developed. They don't even have cell phones in Toy Story 1, and you'd think they'd have smart phones well before someone cracked sci-fi warp gates.
    Way I see it; in a setting where inanimate toys, and a plastic fork, can talk just because? I wouldn't even see an eldritch abomination coming out of Andys toilet as all that out there.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Nah the Toy Story world is clearly supposed to be our 90s world with some magic realism with the toys. The idea that they actually had (advanced) space travel is anachronistic to that expectation. It's like learning that actually the Neverending Story universe was in a cyberpunk future, or like if the or if they just told us the Stranger things universe was actually in medieval times without expecting us to look askance at it because there were some fantastical elements with telekinesis.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Here we go, I've only done the advantages for now but hopefully this will be decent.

Anima Advantage Tier List(s):
    General Advantages
    Elan
    Ki-related Advantages
    Magic-related Advantages
    Psychic-Related Advantages.

I haven't played in quite some time, so comments are welcome.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Here we go, I've only done the advantages for now but hopefully this will be decent.

General Advantages
    Elan
    Ki-related Advantages
    Magic-related Advantages

Really nice list, and you’ve given me food for thought on a couple of things. I’ll give some more detailed thoughts when I’m sat at my laptop (so I can actually access the books rather than just try and vaguely remember wording), but there’s a few things I notice straight away.

For example, you rated Touched by Destiny as being pretty universally terrible, but there’s a particular usage where it’s… gah, not exactly ubiquitous, but it does seem very, very popular. Summoning. Mainly because, while it may not be ultra-effective at guaranteeing success, it DOES almost guarantee you’re not going to fail by a huge amount and thereby drop yourself in a massive problem (and likely sentence yourself to death or a fate-worse-than etc.).

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

General Advantages
    Elan
    Ki-related Advantages
    Magic-related Advantages

The thing about the DM guys having Familiars is they probably "Earned them during play" so to speak rather than just starting with them at level 1. So I could see where just begging, won't get the GM to give you a free equal or higher level bonus character WITH monster powers.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!