Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Eternals was ok. A solid 7 to 7 1/2 out of 10.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

I think Eternals was a 5/10 for me. Wasn’t a fan
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    So, watched the newest Death Battle, and spoilers:
    Shao Khan wins. And the Next Time is Korra vs... Storm (X-Men). Honestly surprised by that, was expecting it to be either Delsin Rowe or Rey Palpatine to be her opponent.
    end of spoilers
    Strike 2, DB. You guys are not off to a solid start during this season.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    What do you mean? The winner, or the next time? And are you talking the season as a whole, or this half of the season?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Eternals was ok. A solid 7 to 7 1/2 out of 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I think Eternals was a 5/10 for me. Wasn’t a fan
    Both of these posts illustrate to me why numerical scores for reviews are not very useful.

On a ten point scale "ok" should not be 7.5/10. That's well above average and clearly better than okay.

Similarly 5/10 for "not a fan" is a bit odd. Surely if your weren't a fan, you felt it was below average (therefore sub five) no?

Extraordinary Member

Start? The season's almost done

*Note, I have not read that spoiler. I watch DB with my friends*

What do you mean? The winner, or the next time? And are you talking the season as a whole, or this half of the season?
    The winners thus far. I know DB tends to rely more on A-B-C powerscaling, calculations and statements more than demonstrable feats on-screen when determining the outcome of a match, but they been consecutively egregious in their logic this season.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Both of these posts illustrate to me why numerical scores for reviews are not very useful.

On a ten point scale "ok" should not be 7.5/10. That's well above average and clearly better than okay.

Similarly 5/10 for "not a fan" is a bit odd. Surely if your weren't a fan, you felt it was below average (therefore sub five) no?
    My average is 6/10 for my numerical scale, so it does come out to that basically. On another note one factor of my scale is that there are no 10/10s.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I generally think a 7/10 is a completely ok movie that I would watch again in full. It had some flaws but was enjoyable.

6/10 is a movie that has some ok stuff, but I would never watch again in full most likely.

5/10 is so average as to leave me feeling nothing: it was neither good or bad, just….there. No rewatchability.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

Numerical scores bereft of explanation (explicit or understood) are useless, yes.

That being said, I've always interpreted generic 10 point scores similar to (US) school grades, where:

Below 6: Failure
    6 to 7: Poor
    7 to 8: Average
    8 to 9: Good
    9 to 10: Excellent
    Above 10: Superior

Which tends to fit how I see the numbers used.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

The winners thus far. I know DB tends to rely more on A-B-C powerscaling, calculations and statements more than demonstrable feats on-screen when determining the outcome of a match, but they been consecutively egregious in their logic this season.
    Oh, don't get me started on that. Dio vs. Alucard alone is a blatant example of "the writer really wanted Dio to win, so we're downplaying Alucard and massively overplaying Dio, even if it blatantly goes against previous episodes (Jotaro vs. Kenshiro)". An even MORE egregious example of that is Joker vs. Needles Kane/Sweet Tooth.

No, there is NOTHING that says that Alucard wouldn't have his standard vampire powers (telekinesis, hypnosis, etc.) with the Schrodinger powers. The only abilities he explicitly loses with the Schrodinger power is the army of familiars (and thus his ridiculous healing factor). But as an omni-present deity who is literally everywhere and nowhere, and exists so long as he believes he exists, he doesn't need them. (And no, there is absolutely nothing that says that Dio could hypnotize Alucard and make him get rid of Schrodinger).

Hell, there's a way Alucard wins without Schrodinger: bring out Rip Van Winkle, and while Dio is focused on Alucard, have her use one of her magic jet/helicopter destroying musket balls to tear him into so many chunks he can't regenerate (or even just hit him in the head and blow it to bits). Because Dio canonically hyper-focuses on what he believes to be the biggest threat in a fight, allowing others to sneak attack him, as that's exactly why Polnareff was able to sneak up on Dio and stab him in the head with Silver Chariot's sword.

Yes, I'm hyper-focusing on that battle, but that's mostly because it's the most recent battle in a while I was really excited for.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

Oh, don't get me started on that. Dio vs. Alucard alone is a blatant example of "the writer really wanted Dio to win, so we're downplaying Alucard and massively overplaying Dio, even if it blatantly goes against previous episodes (Jotaro vs. Kenshiro)". An even MORE egregious example of that is Joker vs. Needles Kane/Sweet Tooth.

No, there is NOTHING that says that Alucard wouldn't have his standard vampire powers (telekinesis, hypnosis, etc.) with the Schrodinger powers. The only abilities he explicitly loses with the Schrodinger power is the army of familiars (and thus his ridiculous healing factor). But as an omni-present deity who is literally everywhere and nowhere, and exists so long as he believes he exists, he doesn't need them. (And no, there is absolutely nothing that says that Dio could hypnotize Alucard and make him get rid of Schrodinger).

Hell, there's a way Alucard wins without Schrodinger: bring out Rip Van Winkle, and while Dio is focused on Alucard, have her use one of her magic jet/helicopter destroying musket balls to tear him into so many chunks he can't regenerate (or even just hit him in the head and blow it to bits). Because Dio canonically hyper-focuses on what he believes to be the biggest threat in a fight, allowing others to sneak attack him, as that's exactly why Polnareff was able to sneak up on Dio and stab him in the head with Silver Chariot's sword.

Yes, I'm hyper-focusing on that battle, but that's mostly because it's the most recent battle in a while I was really excited for.
    1. Don't start with this "They rigged the fight so Alucard would lose" conspiracy BS. They bought into some dumb calculations for Dio, that's all.
    2. Yes, they massively overplayed Dio. But no one has been able to give me any examples of them under playing Alucard.
    3. "This goes against Jotaro vs Kenshiro". So what? The crew have been very open about the fact that their process has changed over time, and that video is three years old. It's as simple as "Our process has changed, so now we realize we got Jotaro vs Kenshiro wrong"
    4. And similarly, there is nothing that says Alucard kept any of them when he returned. Because we don't have any information post schrodinger Alucard due to him never getting into a fight.

Furthermore, if you have two mutually exclusive choices, and one of them is "Have Alucard fight using his iconic powerset" and the other is "Have Alucard fight using a powerset which he's never actually used in a fight" then it's a really obvious choice

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Battletech: Negotiated a job with some pirates to go break out one of their own from prison. Needed the job with Hope's of good salvage. The difficulty is apparently 2/5 and I've been careful with 1/5s so why not.

Got jumped by a well armed lance that proceeded to rip my forces apart and had to withdraw. I lost a Centurion, the Cicada was so damaged I ultimately scrapped it, two mechwarriors wounded with one out for 90+ days, and my reputation went down the toilet.

...Typical Battletech moment.
    Sorry to hear, man.

I guess the moral is 'never work for pirates'. Except Nik.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Sorry to hear, man.

I guess the moral is 'never work for pirates'. Except Nik.
    Pretty much.

...I'm gonna say screw it and save enough to buy a Marauder...If I hadn't gave the entire crew a million c-bill bonus just so they wouldn't kill each other...

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Pretty much.

...I'm gonna say screw it and save enough to buy a Marauder...If I hadn't gave the entire crew a million c-bill bonus just so they wouldn't kill each other...
    ...this is sounding like a frustrating exercise in accounting.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate