Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

This is surprisingly silly, amazing, and depressing (with the tone) all at the same time.

Extraordinary Member

Just got home from watching Eternals.

I overall liked it quite a lot. I like the meditation on grander concepts than your average superhero fair and the general scope of the story and threat, and the characters were all engaging and interesting. It doesn't quite hit the mark on all the things it's attempting and it lacks that wow-factor that I find in my favourite movies in the genere, and the colors are way too dull. But I overall had a lot of fun with it.

The cameo heavy post-credit scenes are quite a treat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post

This is surprisingly silly, amazing, and depressing (with the tone) all at the same time.
    What the Hell, Japan? O_o
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/...TaQsMfFcA&s=19

In an effort to remain positive, I'll say I don't mind the casting too much so far for the most part. Luffy's actor has the right energy for it. Nami and Usopp's are fine. Neutral on Sanji's. Only Zoro's really seems off to me really lol.

I still can't even begin to visualize what this will even look like though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post

In an effort to remain positive, I'll say I don't mind the casting too much so far for the most part. Luffy's actor has the right energy for it. Nami and Usopp's are fine. Neutral on Sanji's. Only Zoro's really seems off to me really lol.

I'm certain that they can give good performances and convey the characters just fine through live action acting (probably a bit different than in the manga/anime but that's to be expected).

What I'm mainly concerned about is the visuals. The aesthetic of One Piece is so very cartoonish that picturing it in live action just doesn't compute for me. But here's hoping that they can pull it off. That would be a really nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I'm certain that they can give good performances and convey the characters just fine through live action acting (probably a bit different than in the manga/anime but that's to be expected).

What I'm mainly concerned about is the visuals. The aesthetic of One Piece is so very cartoonish that picturing it in live action just doesn't compute for me. But here's hoping that they can pull it off. That would be a really nice surprise.
    Yeah, that's my main concern as well. There was a little bit of noise made about how expensive the budget for this would be but that doesn't really mean anything when it comes to visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    What the Hell, Japan? O_o
    The rest of the OVA is on YouTube...It doesn't get any easier on Mike upon returning home after losing Tom and Al.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Could it have something to do with the fact that Shao Kahn, Dio Brando, and Rooster Teeth are all connected under the Warner Brothers umbrella?

I mean, I hate to cast such cyncism over what are essentially cartoon fights for fun - and disproving this directly is Mitsuru's victory over Weiss - but sometimes I wonder lol
    Never attribute to malice what could just as easily be stupidity.
    Heck, look at their explanation for why Shao Kahn would be impervious to Shun Goku Satsu. By their skewed logic, Akuma should've lost to Shang Tsung back in Season One.
    They've said several times that "We didn't know what we were doing back in the early days" so the fact that this contradicts the 2nd episode of the series isn't surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post

Ironically, Zoro's actor is probably the one that the people here are most familiar with, as he was Enishi in those Kenshin movies.

(He's also Sonny Chiba's son, interestingly)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    General polling.

I have an urge to a respect thread for one of the following. If you have any preference on this, let me know:

- Tsukishima Jinbei - Joujuu Senjin! Mushibugyo: Shonen battle manga centring on samurai versus giant mutant insects. The feats are surprisingly high end and jump immediately to a really fun sense of scale.
    Roughly in the ballpark of: One Piece

- Chinmi - Tekken Chinmi: The original kung fu boy from the 80s. A bunch of fun and somewhat technical feats of kung fu mastery. This would be a bit tricky to hunt down as there's like 40 odd years of Chinmi and he never broke through in the West that hard, my guy definitely being overshadowed by Dragonball.
    Roughly in the ballpark of: Batman/CBPH martial artists

- Yulian Provoke (and maybe Noya) - Red Storm: Korean manwha about a warlike desert tribe that battles demons, armies and society. Solid wuxia influences here, very crisp and functional stuff. It's got a little bit of shine here but it's still very niche.
    Roughly in the ballpark of: Rave Master/Fairy Tail (maybe)

Those are the ones that are on my mind at the moment and they are all lesser known series so let me know if there's any you'd like me to actually work on.
    As someone with zero familiarity with any of these characters, the first one sounds the most interesting.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

Edens Zero: God, this was a depressing chapter. spoilers:
    Not even Rebecca's Cat Leaper abilities can undo the damage and her constant attempts are literally causing her body to break down
    end of spoilers I reiterate: when Mashima claimed that this manga would be darker than Fairy Tail, he was not joking.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Edens Zero: God, this was a depressing chapter. spoilers:
    Not even Rebecca's Cat Leaper abilities can undo the damage and her constant attempts are literally causing her body to break down
    end of spoilers I reiterate: when Mashima claimed that this manga would be darker than Fairy Tail, he was not joking.
    I definitely think this is some of his best work. Darker tone, more complex characters, a more compelling and unique setting.

He's really nailing this. Good solid shonen stuff.

And...I realized Tekken Chinmi is being mentioned.

God, that series is awesome but so hard to find scans of (though it is kinda surfacing a bit last I recalled).

Last I recalled reading of the first series, Chinmi trained to harden his body to no sell pressure points to decent success (like it wasn't perfect but it does work), and struggled against the guy who specialize in it...then Chinmi in sheer anger tanked the guy's attacks before outright breaking his fingers.

...And Chinmi just gets better from there.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    And...I realized Tekken Chinmi is being mentioned.

God, that series is awesome but so hard to find scans of (though it is kinda surfacing a bit last I recalled).

Last I recalled reading of the first series, Chinmi trained to harden his body to no sell pressure points to decent success (like it wasn't perfect but it does work), and struggled against the guy who specialize in it...then Chinmi in sheer anger tanked the guy's attacks before outright breaking his fingers.

...And Chinmi just gets better from there.
    It's been making the rounds on and off. The issue is there's such a lot of it but it's also niche no scans groups tend not to stick with it for very long.

And yes, it's a really fun series. The early series has a lot of Chinmi being like "my potential and speed of learning is kind of bottomless, I trained for 16 hours straight and now I'm notably better," but, critically, that kind of growth feeling unearned, obnoxious or lame.

I also liked the sequel series when he's older and it's like "Chinmi as a teacher, full-fledged master and actually becoming a legend in the wider world,"

The Naval Rebellion Arc and the Kanan War Arc are both utterly superb bits of work.