1. #25726
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Not that I'm gunna play it anyway, but I hope this is going to be "open world". Of all the directions the series could have gone, truly open 3D environments to dash around in, with environmental obstacles to do tricks off of feels like a no-brainer we should have gotten by at least ten years ago.

    Closest we've gotten is Sonic Boom!, and I hope the flop of that branch of the franchise didn't chuck that possibility in the bin.

  2. #25727
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,986

    Default

    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  3. #25728

  4. #25729
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,986

    Default



    God-DAMN! Rita is done with the Ranger's s-t!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  5. #25730
    JUST DO IT?!?! Postmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,905

    Default

    Saw Arcane.

    Shit is sad as fuck bro I wasn't ready for this.

    Good stuff though
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

  6. #25731
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Saw Arcane.

    Shit is sad as fuck bro I wasn't ready for this.

    Good stuff though
    Yeah, it’s a really good show. And I’ve never played LoL (nor do I intend to).

  7. #25732
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post


    God-DAMN! Rita is done with the Ranger's s-t!
    Huh. Surprised it took this long to include her.

    I was gunna say, a better outright melee character would be Scorpina, but looks like they added her a year ago.

    Also, that top looks like she could gore someone as a finisher move, goddamn.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 12-11-2021 at 04:31 AM.

  8. #25733
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    10,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Yeah, it’s a really good show. And I’ve never played LoL (nor do I intend to).
    For my money, Arcane has some of the best characters, best storylines, best themes and exploration of such, best mood, and easily best choreographed and executed combat sequences I’ve seen in ages.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  9. #25734
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    21,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    For my money, Arcane has some of the best characters, best storylines, best themes and exploration of such, best mood, and easily best choreographed and executed combat sequences I’ve seen in ages.
    I am.. glad to hear this.

    League of Legends lore is some of my favorite if the medium. That other people are able to get a taste of it, and that they managed to make a show that not obky lived up to the hype but far surpassed it, brings me joy.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  10. #25735
    Reborn Samurai Len Ikari145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Right behind you.
    Posts
    5,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Not that I'm gunna play it anyway, but I hope this is going to be "open world". Of all the directions the series could have gone, truly open 3D environments to dash around in, with environmental obstacles to do tricks off of feels like a no-brainer we should have gotten by at least ten years ago.

    Closest we've gotten is Sonic Boom!, and I hope the flop of that branch of the franchise didn't chuck that possibility in the bin.
    Sega stated that it's open world (though they term it "open zone" *insert dry chuckle here*). I'm also surprised that they actually hired Ian Flynn as the game's main scenario writer.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

    Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

  11. #25736
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    For my money, Arcane has some of the best characters, best storylines, best themes and exploration of such, best mood, and easily best choreographed and executed combat sequences I’ve seen in ages.
    100% agree with this. I loved it.

    Even best music. I mean it’s an animated series based on a video game and, just for an example, the season closing theme is a piece specifically written and performed for the show by Sting of all people. And there’s a bunch of other artists. Imagine Dragons even appear briefly in the show (it’s not really a spoiler because they’re not actually doing anything plot-centric - they’re just there).

  12. #25737
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    8,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    For my money, Arcane has some of the best characters, best storylines, best themes and exploration of such, best mood, and easily best choreographed and executed combat sequences I’ve seen in ages.
    I fell off two episodes in. I've seen bits and pieces from later stuff and it's a technical masterpiece. A real testament to what you can accomplish if you give highly talented animators all the time and money in the world.

    I keep thinking I should go back to it because it's very highly regarded but I just didn't feel like I connected to it very much.

    For clarity, I know basically nothing about LoL beyond a few of the characters by sight.

    Maybe I'll give it another go.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  13. #25738
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I fell off two episodes in. I've seen bits and pieces from later stuff and it's a technical masterpiece. A real testament to what you can accomplish if you give highly talented animators all the time and money in the world.

    I keep thinking I should go back to it because it's very highly regarded but I just didn't feel like I connected to it very much.

    For clarity, I know basically nothing about LoL beyond a few of the characters by sight.

    Maybe I'll give it another go.
    Then you knew more than me.

  14. #25739
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    10,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I am.. glad to hear this.

    League of Legends lore is some of my favorite if the medium. That other people are able to get a taste of it, and that they managed to make a show that not obky lived up to the hype but far surpassed it, brings me joy.
    Yeah, the game itself...not for me. But I've adored their videos (Warriors being my favourite, which also happens to star Vi and Caitlyn). And, ironically, when I tried it for a week or so years ago, I happened to use Jinx.

    I understand there's a small group of fans who are really upset that their chaos-bunny-character Jinx is being represented in such a dark, not-so-cute fashion. I don't know...I remember her opening video, long ago, and it was pretty grim despite the fireworks and madness. I guess it's the same idea as the Harley Quinn fans who forget that she's a brutal murderer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    100% agree with this. I loved it.

    Even best music. I mean it’s an animated series based on a video game and, just for an example, the season closing theme is a piece specifically written and performed for the show by Sting of all people. And there’s a bunch of other artists. Imagine Dragons even appear briefly in the show (it’s not really a spoiler because they’re not actually doing anything plot-centric - they’re just there).
    Yeah, I forgot that part. The music is exceptional - it fits the mood, the themes, the characters so well. Missed the cameo by ID, but I'll watch it again. ^_^

    Even the opening credits are fantastic, reminiscent of Netflix's Daredevil and that kind of thing.

    Netflix does a lot of wrong, but they did this one RIGHT.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-11-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  15. #25740
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    10,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I fell off two episodes in. I've seen bits and pieces from later stuff and it's a technical masterpiece. A real testament to what you can accomplish if you give highly talented animators all the time and money in the world.

    I keep thinking I should go back to it because it's very highly regarded but I just didn't feel like I connected to it very much.

    For clarity, I know basically nothing about LoL beyond a few of the characters by sight.

    Maybe I'll give it another go.
    I'm picky as crap about watching animated stuff, and I'm pretty picky about how themes and mood is presented as well. And I'm picky with my characters, and oh yes, fight choreography.

    And while personal taste is...personal...this hit ALL the right points for me (especially in the 'this is people being people' area). And the animation is some of the best I've ever seen in my life.

    Don't know a whole lot about the LoL lore, myself. A wee bit, what I've garnered from their short videos, but that's all.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-11-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •