"I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!"
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

"I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!"
    *Sighs* And to think, an anime series still hasn't been green-lit.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    The Manga is more than long enough that you could adapt it straight through without needing to worry about Filler at all. It's a Cyberpunk Gold Mine.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Looks like Yuno has found a strong competitor for the title of Yandere Queen.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    There was a two episode Original Video Animation released in 1993, Battle Angel Alita: Rusty Angel and Tear's Sign.

In fact the bulk of the movie's plot structure and I suspect James Cameron's impressions of the work were influenced by these episodes, specifically in the characters of Grewicica, who replaces the first arc villain Makkaku, and Dr. Chiren who does not appear in the manga.

While it takes some liberties with the plot to keep it digestible by streamlining some of the early arc silliness of Gunnm - for instance, Gally fights a werewolf as a one-off to save Yugo - the tone of these animated episodes is far darker and grittier, which I feel is truer to the series than the movie aesthetically.

Like, the Scrapyard should not be a place that fills you with wonder; Terror, maybe some dread and awe at the helplessness of the situation, perhaps, but definitely not like somewhere you'd want to visit.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    There was a two episode Original Video Animation released in 1993, Battle Angel Alita: Rusty Angel and Tear's Sign.

In fact the bulk of the movie's plot structure and I suspect James Cameron's impressions of the work were influenced by these episodes, specifically in the characters of Grewicica, who replaces the first arc villain Makkaku, and Dr. Chiren who does not appear in the manga.

While it takes some liberties with the plot to keep it digestible by streamlining some of the early arc silliness of Gunnm - for instance, Gally fights a werewolf as a one-off to save Yugo - the tone of these animated episodes is far darker and grittier, which I feel is truer to the series than the movie aesthetically.

Like, the Scrapyard should not be a place that fills you with wonder; Terror, maybe some dread and awe at the helplessness of the situation, perhaps, but definitely not like somewhere you'd want to visit.
    The movie definitely did feel like more of an attempt to make things brighter, more fun, and more 'cool'. Even a little 'softer', with its depiction of everyday life in sunshine.

I recall the OVA series; I can't recall if I watched it subbed or completely without translation, though. Been a while. Didn't matter either way, as I had the first volume of BAA.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Maaan, that brings me back. Now I'm getting memories of sitting around with my friends watching bootleg copies of untranslated Gall Force, Record of Lodoss War and Bubblegum Crisis, back in the late 80's.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

I did wonder why Makaku's name got changed. I've never seen the OVAs.

I'm just over here hoping that we one day get a good adaptation of the ZOTT Tournament for Last Order, some really top tier fight scenes in there. Put my boy Toji into true motion!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I did wonder why Makaku's name got changed. I've never seen the OVAs.

I'm just over here hoping that we one day get a good adaptation of the ZOTT Tournament for Last Order, some really top tier fight scenes in there. Put my boy Toji into true motion!
    Someday we'll get the whole darned thing. It's amazing it hasn't happened yet.
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Someday we'll get the whole darned thing. It's amazing it hasn't happened yet.
    I just fell into a hole and read the final match of the ZOTT instead of working.

It's so damn good, so much fun choreography and clever stuff in there.

Toji's Predator Slaying Fist railgun bullet through a tornado of electromagnetic plasma.

Tunpo's Void Fist and Matter Fist and sending Zekka to the damn moon.

Rakan's bullet piercing fingers and Zazie's grand strategy.

UNNNFFFF

would love to see it animated!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I just fell into a hole and read the final match of the ZOTT instead of working.

It's so damn good, so much fun choreography and clever stuff in there.

Toji's Predator Slaying Fist railgun bullet through a tornado of electromagnetic plasma.

Tunpo's Void Fist and Matter Fist and sending Zekka to the damn moon.

Rakan's bullet piercing fingers and Zazie's grand strategy.

UNNNFFFF

would love to see it animated!
    ...I'm going to end up doing that myself, now. O_o
    Why are we here?

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Maaan, that brings me back. Now I'm getting memories of sitting around with my friends watching bootleg copies of untranslated Gall Force, Record of Lodoss War and Bubblegum Crisis, back in the late 80's.
    Loved Lodoss and BGC.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

So came to work yesterday to find out someone had drilled into our waterline, causing us to not have access to bathrooms the entire day (they were drilling for another reason and hit it on accident).

We have four portable bathrooms (port-a-johns) instead now. And probably will the rest of the week.

Answered more than one call about being Supervisor of Port-Potty’s more than once yesterday from the main building. All in good fun, but man it took them seven hours to figure out how to shut that water off before they can even attempt to fix it. That was a bit ridiculous. Just glad it’s in the garage area so there was no flooding done.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Loved Lodoss and BGC.
    Original Lodoss (OVA series, NOT Chronicles) and Original BGC were quite well-done. Quality varied between episodes, but some of the animation was absolutely great.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    So came to work yesterday to find out someone had drilled into our waterline, causing us to not have access to bathrooms the entire day (they were drilling for another reason and hit it on accident).

We have four portable bathrooms (port-a-johns) instead now. And probably will the rest of the week.

Answered more than one call about being Supervisor of Port-Potty’s more than once yesterday from the main building. All in good fun, but man it took them seven hours to figure out how to shut that water off before they can even attempt to fix it. That was a bit ridiculous. Just glad it’s in the garage area so there was no flooding done.
    Brilliant.

So sorry to hear, man.
    Why are we here?