Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Are you...are you KIDDING ME? It's that close? Edit: 'Close' in a 'I know a dude who would ship it to me buuuut....' way.

And you guys have it in ALASKA? But nooooo, Canada can't get any?

Argh.

The thought is hugely appreciated. Thanks, man. ^_^

This stuff...someone once asked me 'if you could only have one kind of alcohol to drink for the rest of your life, what would it be?' The answer was Don Julio 70, for me (runner up Nikka Coffey Grain). But Don Julio 70 is only sold in the US and Mexico.

While I'm sure there are better tequilas, I haven't met them.
    Well... we're technically a part of the US (unfortunately, hurry up and annex us Canada); so it stands to reason we'd get it... but it's really hard to beat Don Julio 70 as a sipping Tequila. Don't get a lot of it mind you, but definitely a few bottles every so often at the biggest/fanciest stores.

Do love the Nikka though, they also have a gin and a vodka I've yet to try but.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Well... we're technically a part of the US (unfortunately, hurry up and annex us Canada); so it stands to reason we'd get it... but it's really hard to beat Don Julio 70 as a sipping Tequila. Don't get a lot of it mind you, but definitely a few bottles every so often at the biggest/fanciest stores.
    Nice. And lucky. Yeah, the DJ 70 basically redefined Tequila for me, years ago, and I've only ever managed to get my hands on a single bottle.

I would annex you just for the Don Julio, but then you'd be part of Canada and wouldn't get it any more.

Do love the Nikka though, they also have a gin and a vodka I've yet to try but.
    I've tried the Gin, for a Gin it's good (I like some Gin's, not others, but this one for sure was a 'like'). Haven't tried the vodka. The Coffey Grain Whisky, I got served that in Japan from a dude at an East Indian restaurant (was our waiter and also turned out to be the owner). I asked for a scotch, he asked 'what kind', and I said 'surprise me'. So he brought back this whisky and said 'It's not a scotch, but if you like scotch I think you'll like this', poured me a generous amount from the bottle, explained that it's called 'Coffey' because of the distillation process (invented by a dude named Coffey), and left the bottle on the table to marvel at.

I've never really liked the other kinds of whisky (non-scotch) a lot, but this one...wah. Good stuff - super-smooth and tasty. Was pleasantly surprised when it turned up in Canada about three years later.

Turns out that two of my favourite 'scotches' (can't REALLY call them that, they're not from Scotland) are the Nikka Miyagikyo and Nikka Yoichi. So I seem to have standardized on Nikka. O_o
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Nice. And lucky. Yeah, the DJ 70 basically redefined Tequila for me, years ago, and I've only ever managed to get my hands on a single bottle.

I would annex you just for the Don Julio, but then you'd be part of Canada and wouldn't get it any more.
    You might be able to get a bottle shipped, depending... and honestly if I can get my hands on a bottle I'd be more than happy to ship it as well ^^

But... as much as it'd be sad to lose the Don Julio, I'd be getting better healthcare >_>

I've tried the Gin, for a Gin it's good (I like some Gin's, not others, but this one for sure was a 'like'). Haven't tried the vodka. The Coffey Grain Whisky, I got served that in Japan from a dude at an East Indian restaurant (was our waiter and also turned out to be the owner). I asked for a scotch, he asked 'what kind', and I said 'surprise me'. So he brought back this whisky and said 'It's not a scotch, but if you like scotch I think you'll like this', poured me a generous amount from the bottle, explained that it's called 'Coffey' because of the distillation process (invented by a dude named Coffey), and left the bottle on the table to marvel at.

I've never really liked the other kinds of whisky (non-scotch) a lot, but this one...wah. Good stuff - super-smooth and tasty. Was pleasantly surprised when it turned up in Canada about three years later.

Turns out that two of my favourite 'scotches' (can't REALLY call them that, they're not from Scotland) are the Nikka Miyagikyo and Nikka Yoichi. So I seem to have standardized on Nikka. O_o
    They do good stuff, and with your Gin endorsement... I'll have to pick a bottle up this paycheck.

I can't say I remember why I got turned onto them, myself, though. Probably just happened naturally, as I've always had a preference for imports, most of the beer I drink is Japanese; and my favorite Vodka right now, Reyka, is an Icelandic. Also helps that the bottle design isn't busy. Says what it is, looks clean. Isn't obscenely expensive... yea that's probably it. Plus, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Nikka.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    You might be able to get a bottle shipped, depending... and honestly if I can get my hands on a bottle I'd be more than happy to ship it as well ^^
    You are tempting me to try lawbreaking. Somehow.

But if you meant 'if Canada took over Alaska you'd have some left in stock', yeah. ^_^ Might be able to grab a couple in that instance.

But... as much as it'd be sad to lose the Don Julio, I'd be getting better healthcare >_>
    Truth.

Out of the healthcare countries, ours isn't the best (no free pharma, unlike...oh, EVERYWHERE else, thank you Liberals), but it's decent enough.

They do good stuff, and with your Gin endorsement... I'll have to pick a bottle up this paycheck.

I can't say I remember why I got turned onto them, myself, though. Probably just happened naturally, as I've always had a preference for imports, most of the beer I drink is Japanese; and my favorite Vodka right now, Reyka, is an Icelandic. Also helps that the bottle design isn't busy. Says what it is, looks clean. Isn't obscenely expensive... yea that's probably it. Plus, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Nikka.
    Indeed, I like the bottle design. Recognizable at a distance (did a double take the first time I saw the vodka label, because I spotted walking past the vodka section - not a vodka drinker), simple... And Nikka...yeah, never had any poor experiences. Couple of 'it's okay, but other than that nothing special', but that's the worst and their good stuff is solidly good. It's higher-priced, but not 'only for super-rich'.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Screw it, I'm going to go to my local booze dictatorship...erm, Liquor Control Board of Ontario (aka LCBO aka the only place one can buy spirits in Ontario) and ask them how to actually buy alcohol, as a consumer, from the US.

I expect they'll say 'You can't', because my lord the LCBO is terrible, but one never knows.
    Why are we here?

Screw it, I'm going to go to my local booze dictatorship...erm, Liquor Control Board of Ontario (aka LCBO aka the only place one can buy spirits in Ontario) and ask them how to actually buy alcohol, as a consumer, from the US.

I expect they'll say 'You can't', because my lord the LCBO is terrible, but one never knows.
    Shame the border is restricted due to COVID. I did a search and it is sold at the DFA store in Ogdensburg, NY. I am assuming that this is within driving distance for you.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Shame the border is restricted due to COVID. I did a search and it is sold at the DFA store in Ogdensburg, NY. I am assuming that this is within driving distance for you.
    Absolutely! And I appreciate the effort!

Unfortunately, that's the Don Julio Reposado; it's a fine tequila, but not on the level of the Don Julio 70. Amazingly enough, I CAN get the DJ Reposado here...but it's closing in on the price of the Casamigos Tequila Anejo, which is the best tequila one can get in Ontario, for my money.

Sadly, I've yet to hit a duty free that carries the 70. The Reposado, even the Anejo (which is also good)...but not the 70. :(

Thanks, Tami!
    Why are we here?

Absolutely! And I appreciate the effort!

Unfortunately, that's the Don Julio Reposado; it's a fine tequila, but not on the level of the Don Julio 70. Amazingly enough, I CAN get the DJ Reposado here...but it's closing in on the price of the Casamigos Tequila Anejo, which is the best tequila one can get in Ontario, for my money.

Sadly, I've yet to hit a duty free that carries the 70. The Reposado, even the Anejo (which is also good)...but not the 70.

Thanks, Tami!
    Good luck on your quest to find the holy grail of tequila.

Good luck on your quest to find the holy grail of tequila.
    Thank you - it is a never-ending quest.

^_^
    Why are we here?

Thank you - it is a never-ending quest.

^_^
    This doesn't help you, unfortunately, but out of curiosity i checked my local liquor store's website and it looks like the do sell the Don Julio 70.

Extraordinary Member

This doesn't help you, unfortunately, but out of curiosity i checked my local liquor store's website and it looks like the do sell the Don Julio 70.
    So lucky!

...if you like something that is smooth as all-get-out, tastes like a (good) mix of tequila and cake, and has a hit of pepper at the end, feel free to enjoy. Just don't use it for mixing (would be a waste, use cheaper stuff for that)!
    Why are we here?

So lucky!

...if you like something that is smooth as all-get-out, tastes like a (good) mix of tequila and cake, and has a hit of pepper at the end, feel free to enjoy. Just don't use it for mixing (would be a waste, use cheaper stuff for that)!
    I may have mentioned it before, maybe not, but I don't drink alcoholic beverages of any kind. I find them fascinating, in a voyeuristic sort of way, but nope don't drink.

Speaking of which, I went back to the website and looked up the most expensive thing they sell (well is has to be ordered)

The Balvenie Scotch Single Malt 50 Year 750ml. List price, $49,949.99

Now that's insane.
    Last edited by Tami; 12-21-2021 at 10:43 AM.

I may have mentioned it before, maybe not, but I don't drink alcoholic beverages of any kind. I find them fascinating, in a voyeuristic sort of way, but nope don't drink.

Speaking of which, I went back to the website and looked up the most expensive thing they sell (well is has to be ordered)

The Balvenie Scotch Single Malt 50 Year 750ml. List price, $49,949.99

Now that's insane.
    Yeah, that one is pretty famous. Obviously one must question if it is actually WORTH 50k.

I'm 100% sure it's better than the Balvinie 12 year-old scotch, for example.

I am somewhat dubious that it's 500 times better than the 12 year-old.
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

just going to put one of the latest splash pages from Dandadan here to remind people that's very funny, very good and the art is REALLY nice.

There is also a regular supply of excellent faces but I'll leave those for you to discover on your own

If you're not reading it, why not consider reading it?