Female Musashi.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Good ol' "Anything for a Laugh" Ari.

The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

The Matrix Resurrections was very okay. It did not need to be made, either.

The narrative core fixated with parallels with the deja-vu motif - "set and setting" as one character exposits - reaches for some intriguing ideas to explore, but in a strange move where characters poke fun metatextually about surface level presentation vs expectations, what's delivered is kind of underwhelming. There's a lot of this tongue-in-cheek ribbing about how things were so good back in the day that is a lot less clever than the characters and writers seem to feel.

It's one thing to jab at that sort of familiar yet obnoxious discourse that's all to common with a legacy franchise installment, but if there was an alternative presented outside of retreaded beats and surface presentations, I don't feel it was present.

The stakes in this plot, I feel are a bit toothless, and for all but our protagonists' party, rather listless overall. Why they are doing what they are doing, perfectly understandable; why they continue to do it in the context of this movie's narrative, less so.

Bringing back a familiar face who you'd think would be built up better than 'here I am' especially with how important they are in the final act seemed to rush into a mandatory action-packed conclusion. If this was meant to springboard into some franchise revival, I don't think this is going to do it.

Sidenote, I think it was Sharp who had the chief complaint that the lobby shootout from the first film felt unnecessary with the number of people killed as a result and a lack of a clever resolution. I feel Resurrections does something in that vein on a much greater scale.
    Last edited by grampagen; 12-22-2021 at 10:18 PM.

cant wait

Unless I'm mistaken the trailer was the second after credits scene for Spiderman, for anyone wondering.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Canada makes it very difficult to import/mail liquor.

Why, Canada. Why.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post

Why, Canada. Why.
    Just pour it into a maple syrup bottle. That should work.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Why, Canada. Why.
    You see my problem.

Canada has liquor laws that are ancient, and kept that way because the provincial governments want to keep their monopolies on selling the good stuff.

I appreciate you trying!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I thought Cthulhu was in the Northern US (aka Alaska)

New Matrix was good but it's also aiming at dramatically different focus than the original trilogy which will definitely be divisive.
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    You see my problem.

Canada has liquor laws that are ancient, and kept that way because the provincial governments want to keep their monopolies on selling the good stuff.

I appreciate you trying!
    I'll find a way. Barbaric and ancient laws or no. Like really, under 50 proof maximum?!

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I thought Cthulhu was in the Northern US (aka Alaska)
    Am attempting to find a way to get Sharp a bottle of the good stuff, AKA Don Julio 70.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Am attempting to find a way to get Sharp a bottle of the good stuff, AKA Don Julio 70.
    Ah, gotta ask Santa to sneak it past the border on his reindeer
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'll find a way. Barbaric and ancient laws or no. Like really, under 50 proof maximum?!
    They don’t want people evading their monopoly. It’s really a source of irritation up here.

Or…down here, to you.

If you somehow manage it, I’m gonna find something you want and send it up there!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Ah, gotta ask Santa to sneak it past the border on his reindeer
    From what little I've come to understand about these outdated import laws, they'd confiscate anything above 48 proof if I attempted to cross into Canada with it? Though if that IS an option I do have plans to take a trip. Could drive instead of fly... still a good ways off of that though. A year maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    They don’t want people evading their monopoly. It’s really a source of irritation up here.
    But they can't stop the theft of 20 million in Maple Syurp. Disgraceful.

Or…down here, to you.

If you somehow manage it, I’m gonna find something you want and send it up there!
    You southerners and your silly laws ; )

Arx Inosaan

soooo Spiderman
    spoilers:
    I can't believe they did a One More Day storyline that not only wasn't completely horrible but also good and about as touching a sendoff to the Garfield and Tobey Spidermen movies as you could of asked for
    end of spoilers

Cero-Ho-Ho.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.