Hey Sharp, sounds like things got a little uh...let's say, obnoxious in the Capital today. It's not much, but I hope that hasn't been much more than a rowdy annoyance on your end.

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

I come back to this fan-edit of Game of Death every so often. Though the broader context outside of the fights is missing, it's more concise than what Robert Clouse took out and stitched back in to his edit in 1978.

For example, the other two guys that job to the Pagoda opponents really sell the threat level, especially where Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is concerned.

Something interesting that somehow eluded me through the years is that Ji Han-jae, who plays the guardian of the second level, is one of the founders of Hapkido. Not only is it very generous and sporting turn to put your own martial art on blast like that in a major motion picture, but as he employs a similarly mixed art I suppose that explains his higher booking.
    Last edited by grampagen; 01-30-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    ...so the frog was evil then?

Wait... Guldo had a wife!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Nagatoro: We're absolutely, definitely not dating but if you try to touch or flirt with him then there will be a reckoning!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Hey Sharp, sounds like things got a little uh...let's say, obnoxious in the Capital today. It's not much, but I hope that hasn't been much more than a rowdy annoyance on your end.
    Canada's own right wing on full display for the world, including swastikas, comparisons to the Holocaust, and tolerance of such by the other demonstrators.

I'm out in the West End, so I don't see or hear any of it (except on the news), and my work is far enough away that we're just under a security alert (fed-gov building). Other than absolute disgust, I'm basically okay. Thanks!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

I come back to this fan-edit of Game of Death every so often. Though the broader context outside of the fights is missing, it's more concise than what Robert Clouse took out and stitched back in to his edit in 1978.

For example, the other two guys that job to the Pagoda opponents really sell the threat level, especially where Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is concerned.

Something interesting that somehow eluded me through the years is that Ji Han-jae, who plays the guardian of the second level, is one of the founders of Hapkido. Not only is it very generous and sporting turn to put your own martial art on blast like that in a major motion picture, but as he employs a similarly mixed art I suppose that explains his higher booking.
    Going to watch this at lunch hour. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Canada's own right wing on full display for the world, including swastikas, comparisons to the Holocaust, and tolerance of such by the other demonstrators.
    Also, Canada's racism. Gonna quote Fareed Khan, of Canadians United Against Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fareed Khan
    "This smacks of racism and white privilege...If you had a Muslim, or a brown person, or an Indigenous person who organized such an event and called for unseating the government of this country, security forces would have been down on them like a bag of hammers."
    Weird metaphor aside, he's 100% correct. We SAW that, here in Canada, with BLM protests (more peaceful, less disruptive) getting out-and-out escalated and attacked by the police themselves.

Edit: the more I think about the metaphor, the more I think it might have been an intentional mixed metaphor. Security forces...like a bag of hammers...'dumb as'....
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-31-2022 at 06:24 AM.
    Why are we here?

Jujutsu Kaisen's fights continue to please and amuse.

spoilers:
    "My complex plan has succeeded: now I will hit you with an elephant!"

"Fine, I hit you with a house!"

"Hah, just as I expected! Endgame!"
    end of spoilers

Joking aside, the move-countermove is really good, the art is still great, and the fighting is actually logical and sensible in that art*. Good stuff.

* I bring this up a lot because Masamune Shirow's early stuff, while lauded as fantastic manga, had fight sequences that were all-but incomprehensible in terms of 'how did they get from there to there?'. Dammit Appleseed, whi did it take a whole bunch of volumes before your hand-to-hand fights actually made sense?
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

spoilers:

end of spoilers

Joking aside, the move-countermove is really good, the art is still great, and the fighting is actually logical and sensible in that art*. Good stuff.

* I bring this up a lot because Masamune Shirow's early stuff, while lauded as fantastic manga, had fight sequences that were all-but incomprehensible in terms of 'how did they get from there to there?'. Dammit Appleseed, whi did it take a whole bunch of volumes before your hand-to-hand fights actually made sense?
    Wait, what's the connection with Shirow here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Wait, what's the connection with Shirow here?
    Oh, no connection, other than 'the fights in Kaisen are great because they make sense'. I talk a lot about 'fights needing to make sense and be comprehensible'; just commenting on why.

Back in the day, when Appleseed was still coming out, it got a lot of praise from a lot of people. With some good reason - art was good, characters were interesting, there was depth. Etc. But boy, some of Shirow's fight sequences were downright incomprehensible (to the point where in the later volumes, when there WAS a sequence that was actually extremely well-done, myself and my friends actually marveled over it). And that was one of my first exposures to manga.

So these days, thirty-five years later, when I see a fight sequence that I can follow panel by panel, easily, without wondering 'how did the characters get from X to Y?' I make note of it. The whole Shirow business is just 'why'.

Edit: I can see why it was somewhat confusing, that mention. Apologies.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-31-2022 at 06:24 AM.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers

Joking aside, the move-countermove is really good, the art is still great, and the fighting is actually logical and sensible in that art.
    And then there's the Comedian-dude whose comedian powers are so potentspoilers:
    that he'd be a match for Gojo Satoru.
    end of spoilers

The series strikes a nice balance between enagingly intense, heart-renderingly dramatic and just plain silly.