The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    And then there's the Comedian-dude whose comedian powers are so potentspoilers:
    that he'd be a match for Gojo Satoru.
    end of spoilers

The series strikes a nice balance between enagingly intense, heart-renderingly dramatic and just plain silly.
    I like it. It's tempting me to watch the anime, which is something I don't do a lot of these days.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Oh, no connection, other than 'the fights in Kaisen are great because they make sense'. I talk a lot about 'fights needing to make sense and be comprehensible'; just commenting on why.

Back in the day, when Appleseed was still coming out, it got a lot of praise from a lot of people. With some good reason - art was good, characters were interesting, there was depth. Etc. But boy, some of Shirow's fight sequences were downright incomprehensible (to the point where in the later volumes, when there WAS a sequence that was actually extremely well-done, myself and my friends actually marveled over it). And that was one of my first exposures to manga.

So these days, thirty-five years later, when I see a fight sequence that I can follow panel by panel, easily, without wondering 'how did the characters get from X to Y?' I make note of it. The whole Shirow business is just 'why'.

Edit: I can see why it was somewhat confusing, that mention. Apologies.
    No need to apologise, I just read it as if you were implying Shirow had worked on JJK or something.

Thought you might know something I didn't haha ¬_¬

I like it. It's tempting me to watch the anime, which is something I don't do a lot of these days.
    FWIW, the anime is a very good adaptation. Lovely animation, really solid soundtrack and voice work, I would highly recommend it.

EIDT: Just a little sequence from the first episode ^_^:

Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-31-2022 at 07:34 AM.

On an unrelated note, I reread pretty much all of the current Zhao Campaign storyline from Kingdom recently.

The Shukai Plains especially, definitely went down in a longer form viewing, Houken felt less obnoxious and the resolution of that fight felt a bit more telegraphed.

Unsurprisingly, it's still a very solid series, does big broad emotional strokes really well, fight scenes are fun if largely quite simple affairs and it manages a pretty big cast really rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    No need to apologise, I just read it as if you were implying Shirow had worked on JJK or something.

Thought you might know something I didn't haha ¬_¬
    Cool, cool.

FWIW, the anime is a very good adaptation. Lovely animation, really solid soundtrack and voice work, I would highly recommend it.

EIDT: Just a little sequence from the first episode ^_^:

That's quite good. And, like the manga, even though there's crazy stuff happening, it's easy to follow and 'realistic' in cause and effect (not 'realistic' as in 'real world', but in 'assuming this sort of thing is possible, this is how it could proceed').

Must check and see if Canadian Netflix has this.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

On an unrelated note, I reread pretty much all of the current Zhao Campaign storyline from Kingdom recently.

The Shukai Plains especially, definitely went down in a longer form viewing, Houken felt less obnoxious and the resolution of that fight felt a bit more telegraphed.

Unsurprisingly, it's still a very solid series, does big broad emotional strokes really well, fight scenes are fun if largely quite simple affairs and it manages a pretty big cast really rather well.
    I'm still reading it; that I hang in this long with a series that I need to wait for future installments says something.

It doesn't have the same draw for me as it used to, but I'm still somewhat invested.
    Why are we here?

Christ, it's quite the day in Parliament once again.

I really hate our Prime Minister. >__<

It seems that 2022 is starting off on shaky footing nearly everywhere.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Is it the Partygate report? Or something different?

...dare I ask? Anything to get my mind off my own Parliament, currently under siege.
    Why are we here?

So, Justin Trudeau just tested positive for COVID. I can't bring myself to say 'just desserts', because thus far Trudeau...ugh, I have to say this, Trudeau has done a better job than many of the premiers with regards to COVID. Our premiers have been so bad that I'm complimenting Mr. Performative.

In other news, Ottawa police are now saying that 'ticketing and towing' the protesters might incite them, and they don't want to do that.

[Ottawa Police] *facing BLM protesters* Drive trucks through their lines! Break out the riot gear!

[Ottawa Police] *facing truckers who tolerate swastikas in their ranks, and who harass business employees and vandalize* B-but doing our basic job might make them angwy... Shy.jpg
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-31-2022 at 11:55 AM.
    Why are we here?

Is it the Partygate report? Or something different?

...dare I ask? Anything to get my mind off my own Parliament, currently under siege.
    The preliminary, heavily redacted Partygate report which talks about failures of leadership and decision-making in Downing Street, and then Boris starts defending himself with a bizarre, tasteless rant about long-deceased serial paedophile Jimmy Saville and about the opposition front bench taking drugs.

I mean when we all think this twat is scraping the bottom of the barrel he just starts digging through the bottom of that barrel into the sewer beneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    The preliminary, heavily redacted Partygate report which talks about failures of leadership and decision-making in Downing Street, and then Boris starts defending himself with a bizarre, tasteless rant about long-deceased serial paedophile Jimmy Saville and about the opposition front bench taking drugs.

I mean when we all think this twat is scraping the bottom of the barrel he just starts digging through the bottom of that barrel into the sewer beneath.
    He really is stupid. And desperate. And clearly not listening to any advisors he has who have brains (if those ones haven't all deserted him).

He just keeps shooting himself in the foot.
    Why are we here?

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So they saw Halloween (2018) and decided "Let's do that with Texas Chainsaw Massacre".
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

This show was too glorious.