BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    And to think that in 2016 many in the US were half-joking about running off to live in Canada to escape the impending Far Right Apocalypse. Now it seems that Canada isn't doing so well in this area either. It's like a Plague of Idiots, spreading faster than COVID.
    A plague we have not one, not two, but three vaccines to innoculate against it.

And treatment.

And anti-body treatment.

Anyone claiming that this is still a pandemic should be ignored outright, and any government body still using Covid to hold on to these useless restrictions deserves an electoral ass-kicking of the harshest order.

Yet those cases are reportedly climbing exponentially by the day by our own WHO, especially with the Omicron variant that's killed 90 million in South Africa alone. Also, almost 30 percent of the country refuses to get vaccinated or take preventative measures such as washing your hands, limiting physical contact, wearing masks, etc. because politicians are convincing them that this is a violation of rights or a matter of political discourse or whatever inane conspiracy they can fabricate that feeds upon people's most base emotions instead of, y'know, trying to contain a highly deadly and virulent disease that's killing us by hundred of thousands. But sure, it's clearly no more dangerous than the flu now.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 02-06-2022 at 02:31 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

While I don't disagree with the broad thrust of your argument Len, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    especially with the Omicron variant that's killed 90 million in South Africa alone.
    Is flatly not true. SA only has a population of 60 million people and has had ~95,000 deaths to date. Africa as a entire continent has had 241,000 deaths so far.

The pandemic is an ongoing issue, especially with the global north refusing to help properly vaccinate the global south, but do try not to spread obviously untrue stuff.

For a decent, if fairly long, video on where we are at the moment, I would recommend this recent one from Some More News.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    While I don't disagree with the broad thrust of your argument Len, this:

Is flatly not true. SA only has a population of 60 million people and has had ~95,000 deaths to date. Africa as a entire continent has had 241,000 deaths so far.

The pandemic is an ongoing issue, especially with the global north refusing to help properly vaccinate the global south, but do try not to spread obviously untrue stuff.

For a decent, if fairly long, video on where we are at the moment, I would recommend this recent one from Some More News.

My bad, I honestly misread the death toll rate of Omicron in relation to South Africa. Thanks for the correction.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Whether it's declared a pandemic or not the failings of the healthcare system in the US will be increased nonetheless. Making it another background statistic just adds to the bill where you pile along the effects and deaths of overprocessed overstimulus-ed junk food/failing water infrastructure/environmental racism/Big Pharma fuckery. And that ****, unfortunately, was endemic long before 2020 and won't be solved by ignoring it or any other aspect of it.

However, I'm sure the US will keep making the wrong choice in enough numbers to prevent things from going well so

Last edited by Postmania; 02-06-2022 at 05:45 AM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Whether it's declared a pandemic or not the failings of the healthcare system in the US will be increased nonetheless. Making it another background statistic just adds to the bill where you pile along the effects and deaths of overprocessed overstimulus-ed junk food/failing water infrastructure/environmental racism/Big Pharma fuckery. And that ****, unfortunately, was endemic long before 2020 and won't be solved by ignoring it or any other aspect of it.

However, I'm sure the US will keep making the wrong choice in enough numbers to prevent things from going well so

Wish we had a line button.

Canada trundling along right behind you guys. They’re talking about repealing all mandates (including masks, even).
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

It's worth noting, too, that even with the vaccine, and boosters, you can still catch Omicron (I know I certainly did, despite wearing a mask, and gloves on top of the three jabs); the vaccinated are just potentially less likely to continue to spread.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    It's worth noting, too, that even with the vaccine, and boosters, you can still catch Omicron (I know I certainly did, despite wearing a mask, and gloves on top of the three jabs); the vaccinated are just potentially less likely to continue to spread.
    Yes. And less likely (by a chunk) to have a serious version of the illness, resulting in hospital time or worse.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Yes. And less likely (by a chunk) to have a serious version of the illness, resulting in hospital time or worse.
    And even with a mild case, it's pretty physically debilitating. I'm two weeks clear of having it, and I'm still not 80% and that's with Pfizer+Booster.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

And even with a mild case, it's pretty physically debilitating. I'm two weeks clear of having it, and I'm still not 80% and that's with Pfizer+Booster.
    Dude, I hope you don't have the Long Covid.
    Why are we here?

Dude, I hope you don't have the Long Covid.
    My favorite joke about Long Covid currently is "won't know til I get there".

... all the more reason for people to do the bare minimum and mask up. If you're too inconsiderate to get the vaccine, anyway.

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Ugh, work and being somewhat coming down with a cold is weighing down my abilities to do much. So did a recheck of every single OC I've done that's a parent and see which one kinda sucked.

...I'm that bored.

And fun enough, only one is honestly considered pretty awful in the sense he had a mental breakdown, leaves his infant daughter to her grandfather, and then proceeds to become a master martial artist who lives in the mountains whose only friend is a tiger. Honestly could've been worse, as I compared him once to Heihachi Mishima, but Heihachi is badddddd when it comes to the fatherhood department.

My favorite joke about Long Covid currently is "won't know til I get there".
    Ugh. Well, here's hoping. Again.

... all the more reason for people to do the bare minimum and mask up. If you're too inconsiderate to get the vaccine, anyway.
    Zero plans to stop masking, even if the mandates (stupidly) disappear. Granted, going to need to be careful because we now have jackasses hassling people wearing masks, but c'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Ugh, work and being somewhat coming down with a cold is weighing down my abilities to do much.
    Yeesh, sorry to hear, man.
    Why are we here?

Ugh. Well, here's hoping. Again.
    Well, my sense of smell and taste is recovering.

Only long-term (I mean three weeks isn't particularly long term), I'm dealing with is chronic fatigue, and what I'm calling "pseudo-asthma". Essentially if I over extert (which is easier now than it was) I devolve into coughing/sputtering until I get my breath back.

... and yea, I've tested negative twice since my quarantine was up.

Zero plans to stop masking, even if the mandates (stupidly) disappear. Granted, going to need to be careful because we now have jackasses hassling people wearing masks, but c'est la vie.
    Yea... at the very least the harassment is consistent across the board. Been getting snide remarks and "how dare your employer require you to wear a mask" since Summer of 2020.

But... you know. Got it from a coworker (I work with them directly) who didn't get vaccinated, came to work before their symptoms escalated and didn't tell anyone, and refused to wear a mask. So...

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Demon Slayer Season 2 Episode 10 might be the best animated single episode of an anime that I've ever seen.

Like Ufotable have had exceptional production values since the beginning but that episode really felt like they raised their game.

Absolutely outstanding work.