Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'm reading the new Strange comic. It's awesome.

A quick rundown.

spoilers:
    Art is great.

For those not in the know, Strange has died and bequeathed the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme on Clea. This isn't REALLY how it goes, normally, but...she does mention that due to love and their marriage, there was a 'cheat' involved. Looking forward to further explanation of that in the future.

Clea answers the door of the Sanctum using the Cloak of Levitation as a bathrobe.

Clea is completely unimpressed by Dr. Doom, as she should be. And not at all intimidated by him, even wearing what amounts to a bathrobe.

Clea finds Earth coffee awful. Interesting. It means there's coffee everywhere.

Doom tries to take the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme from Clea. She finds this amusing.

Doom shouts in her face to try to intimidate her. Given who Clea's uncle was, and how he likely did the same at times, she's not at all intimidated and finds it mildly annoying.

The writer seems to be perfectly cool with the fact that Clea and Strange were married (they were, it's often overlooked when writers want to give Strange a new girlfriend, ugh).

Clea flat-out tells Doom to 'Remember to whom you speak.' When he postures with magic, she outdoes him easily. He then states he's going to complain to the Vishanti about it, and Clea flat-out says 'You go ahead and cry to the Vishanti.' It's fun watching Clea put Doom completely in his place, and about time; with regard to Earth, he's pretty special. As a Sorcerer Supreme, he would at best be 'somewhat over his head.'

War of Seven Spheres and 5000 years of Strange fighting for the Vishanti noted. The writer has SERIOUSLY done their homework, and clearly wants this to work in somewhat old school, established continuity rather than 'making up something cool'.

Wong and Clea have an awesome relationship already, as it should be. They've known each other a loooong time. 'Was that Dr. Doom I saw leaving?' 'Yes, I'm afraid I rather hurt his feelings.' 'Gods, I wish I could have been here for that.' 'He will be a problem, though.' 'Really? Dr. Doom? Do you think so?' 'Hush.'

Clea makes sure when she's operating as Earth's sorcerer supreme to dress the part, but when she and Wong go out into New York in search of Dark Dimension Dark Roast coffee (because 'Earth coffee is a waste of time'), she switches to clothing appropriate to the Dark Dimension. Which gets some attention.

Clea continues to be. Fucking. Awesome. She's written very well so far.

Unlike Strange, Clea shows no worries about killing the shit out of a bunch of people who invade the Shrouded Bazaar (interesting place, and new for this series). They show up, start killing with enruned and enchanted modern weaponry and she casually murders a bunch of them, leaving one alive to go home and tell his bosses. Most writers forget that Clea has fought two different all-out wars in the Dark Dimension.

More Wong/Clea hilarity. 'How many of Stephen's little friends, the cape and mask ones, have come back from the dead?' 'All of them, it sometimes seem.' 'Then we must entertain the possibility that Stephen will simply come back on his own. Oh, don't give me that look, Wong.' 'You can't even see me.' 'I know the look.'

Wong does complain about her murdering the dudes. Clea points out it would have gone worse for them in the Dark Dimension ('worse' I don't feel this is correct, Clea wasn't a tyrant; but people who killed innocents in front of her might have very well be simply cut down on the spot).

The writer does explain further what Fantinian blood does for Clea, in terms of her personality, her drive. It's interesting.
    end of spoilers

In all, I'm actually going to be watching for this comic. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I might have to read that
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I might have to read that
    I’m not sure what I was expecting other than ‘probably disappointing’.

I am not disappointed at all.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I’m not sure what I was expecting other than ‘probably disappointing’.

I am not disappointed at all.
    Well, I haven't touched a comic in the better part of a decade, but if you think this highly of it. Definitely worth a glance.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm reading the new Strange comic. It's awesome.

A quick rundown.

spoilers:
    Art is great.

For those not in the know, Strange has died and bequeathed the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme on Clea. This isn't REALLY how it goes, normally, but...she does mention that due to love and their marriage, there was a 'cheat' involved. Looking forward to further explanation of that in the future.

Clea answers the door of the Sanctum using the Cloak of Levitation as a bathrobe.

Clea is completely unimpressed by Dr. Doom, as she should be. And not at all intimidated by him, even wearing what amounts to a bathrobe.

Clea finds Earth coffee awful. Interesting. It means there's coffee everywhere.

Doom tries to take the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme from Clea. She finds this amusing.

Doom shouts in her face to try to intimidate her. Given who Clea's uncle was, and how he likely did the same at times, she's not at all intimidated and finds it mildly annoying.

The writer seems to be perfectly cool with the fact that Clea and Strange were married (they were, it's often overlooked when writers want to give Strange a new girlfriend, ugh).

Clea flat-out tells Doom to 'Remember to whom you speak.' When he postures with magic, she outdoes him easily. He then states he's going to complain to the Vishanti about it, and Clea flat-out says 'You go ahead and cry to the Vishanti.' It's fun watching Clea put Doom completely in his place, and about time; with regard to Earth, he's pretty special. As a Sorcerer Supreme, he would at best be 'somewhat over his head.'

War of Seven Spheres and 5000 years of Strange fighting for the Vishanti noted. The writer has SERIOUSLY done their homework, and clearly wants this to work in somewhat old school, established continuity rather than 'making up something cool'.

Wong and Clea have an awesome relationship already, as it should be. They've known each other a loooong time. 'Was that Dr. Doom I saw leaving?' 'Yes, I'm afraid I rather hurt his feelings.' 'Gods, I wish I could have been here for that.' 'He will be a problem, though.' 'Really? Dr. Doom? Do you think so?' 'Hush.'

Clea makes sure when she's operating as Earth's sorcerer supreme to dress the part, but when she and Wong go out into New York in search of Dark Dimension Dark Roast coffee (because 'Earth coffee is a waste of time'), she switches to clothing appropriate to the Dark Dimension. Which gets some attention.

Clea continues to be. Fucking. Awesome. She's written very well so far.

Unlike Strange, Clea shows no worries about killing the shit out of a bunch of people who invade the Shrouded Bazaar (interesting place, and new for this series). They show up, start killing with enruned and enchanted modern weaponry and she casually murders a bunch of them, leaving one alive to go home and tell his bosses. Most writers forget that Clea has fought two different all-out wars in the Dark Dimension.

More Wong/Clea hilarity. 'How many of Stephen's little friends, the cape and mask ones, have come back from the dead?' 'All of them, it sometimes seem.' 'Then we must entertain the possibility that Stephen will simply come back on his own. Oh, don't give me that look, Wong.' 'You can't even see me.' 'I know the look.'

Wong does complain about her murdering the dudes. Clea points out it would have gone worse for them in the Dark Dimension ('worse' I don't feel this is correct, Clea wasn't a tyrant; but people who killed innocents in front of her might have very well be simply cut down on the spot).

The writer does explain further what Fantinian blood does for Clea, in terms of her personality, her drive. It's interesting.
    end of spoilers

In all, I'm actually going to be watching for this comic. ^_^
    Yeah, the recent Strange comics have been surprisingly well-written.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Jed McKay is a very good writer. I believe his big claim to fame prior to this was a Black Cat run (Which strange was a guest star in at points)

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Being depressed sucks.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Being depressed sucks.

Alright everybody link up! Group hug!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Alright everybody link up! Group hug!
    I can always count on you to make me smile. Thanks Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I can always count on you to make me smile. Thanks Guy.
    Anytime Tami!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Makoto, my girl, I thought you had healthier habits than that.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Has anyone heard from Yun Lao?

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Makoto, my girl, I thought you had healthier habits than that.
    Gotta love concept art. She was originally a smoking delinquent gang member named Mamoru Chino.
    https://www.tuxedounmasked.com/was-m...ber-of-a-gang/
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator