Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Very different direction than Marvel, to be sure. I might actually watch this one, anyway.
    While I have banished Marvel from my film podcast, and my personal viewing habits, DC is still fair game.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    While I have banished Marvel from my film podcast, and my personal viewing habits, DC is still fair game.
    I haven't watched Marvel since Falcon/Winter Soldier (which was, for me, disappointing). Tried Loki, couldn't get past the second episode.

I will likely watch the new Spider-man movie when it comes out in a way I can, because Toby Mcguire and Andrew Garfield.

Miiiiight watch the new Strange stuff? *wiggles hand*

Been avoiding DC because A - I don't like a whole lot of DC and B - I don't like a lot of the tone of the DC stuff. But the Black Adam thing looks interesting.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I haven't watched Marvel since Falcon/Winter Soldier (which was, for me, disappointing). Tried Loki, couldn't get past the second episode.

I will likely watch the new Spider-man movie when it comes out in a way I can, because Toby Mcguire and Andrew Garfield.

Miiiiight watch the new Strange stuff? *wiggles hand*

Been avoiding DC because A - I don't like a whole lot of DC and B - I don't like a lot of the tone of the DC stuff. But the Black Adam thing looks interesting.
    As a person who has loved the MCU for over a decade now... I am actually starting to feel the fatigue.

I do actually still enjoy the movies and series as a whole. But I kinda want something new from my super hero entertainment now.

With DC it helps that each movie is just kinda doing its own thing and there are fewer of them so there's less of a constant mad dash to keep up with everything.

*Watches the latest episode of Obi-Wan*

What is the actual point of Stormtrooper armour? It does NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

To make them faceless goons. Makes it much easier to watch them get killed if they're 'dehumanized' by their armor.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

Trigun is getting a new anime

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post

Oh really now? A proper adaptation of the manga?

Extraordinary Member

New trailer for the next One Piece film

Did not know I needed to see Usopp in full on Kiss regalia, but there you go. And I just realised that this is the first movie with Jimbei as a crew member. That's nice.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    *Blinks* This year is full of good manga/anime news, isn't it? Now, all I need is for Guyver to get out of hiatus and Battle Angel Alita to get a proper anime adaptation.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Meanwhile, Garou has become further OP: spoilers:
    He's able to create actual nuclear explosions with the force of his punches, imitate the casual strength of Saitama, and fire off small-scale gamma ray bursts.
    end of spoilers
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    He's able to create actual nuclear explosions with the force of his punches, imitate the casual strength of Saitama, and fire off small-scale gamma ray bursts.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, this has certainly taken a turn.

spoilers:
    And all this just because he briefly touched "God's" hand while rejecting him. I do like that Saitama is now concerned that the effort he'll have to put in to deal with Garou will accidentally kill him. So he has to find a balance between knocking down Garou (since that needs to happen at this point) and not exploding him.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    To make them faceless goons. Makes it much easier to watch them get killed if they're 'dehumanized' by their armor.
    Pretty much nailed it, here.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    end of spoilers
    I mean... sigh.

spoilers:
    Garou is able to master any technique he's experienced, meld it with other techniques at his disposal and evolve himself to maximise the effectiveness - hence the birth Instant God Slayer Fist in the original webcomic.

But him being able to "copy" Saitama's consecutive normal punches doesn't make any sense because it's literally just what name of the move says it is - consecutive normal punches. There's no trick to it, it's just Saitama is so ridiculously strong that it counts as a "technique". Copying and using something like this should make Garou weaker because it's him specifically not using any techniques.
    end of spoilers

Other than that, I am glad that

spoilers:
    Garou has turned his attention back to the other heroes so there are like, some, stakes again.
    end of spoilers

Not going to get into the overall direction the comic has gone, because my comments on that are starting to feel repetitively negative. ^_^ So no more of that.

However, the business of this power creep is pretty meh.

spoilers:
    Now, he's supposedly increased his power by aligning himself with all the energies of the universe. He uses that to...make nuclear explosions.

That's actually a gigantic step down from 'hitting the planet so hard it was deforming', which he was doing last chapter, pre-powerup. It's a step down from pretty much everything he was doing last chapter.

Then, does he actually use this alignment with the energies of the universe to fight equally with Saitama by pulling out some crazy stuff? Nope. He...copies Saitama and equals him. Nik makes some good points about why this just doesn't work on a fundamental level, but it doesn't work for drama or mood, either. It's not original. It's not impressive. All of this about his mastery of this business of aligning himself with energies, the big visuals, etc and he copies Saitama to equal him.

The only thing vaguely interesting in all of this was the gamma-ray burst. I was hoping for something quantum or the like, but okay, that might be a bridge too far.
    end of spoilers

The one thing I liked in all of it was

spoilers:
    the part where he refuses the god-being's offering.
    end of spoilers

That was very in-character for him, and I thought that was good.
    Why are we here?