The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Sorry to hear about the old group not being up for gaming. My group did go through that. But at the age we are now, with more free time, suddenly there has been a renaissance in the last few years. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

It happens, people move on or have other things going on in their lives. It's not the first time.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Speaking of games I’ve been having fun binging Seth Skorkowskys YouTube channel even though I don’t play anything lol
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I have this idea for a Pathfinder game I wanna run, totally maxed out level 20 mythic rank 10 whatever bullshit where the players are legendary heroes called upon to try and stop a rogue planet (with a strangely stable ecosystem) full of sci fi stuff from crashing into their fantasy setting. They come in on the heels of another uber dude who has seemingly failed and do a sort of Heart of Darkness thing following his footsteps through a sprawling underground alien complex with cyclopean architecture, horrifyingly strong monsters, and maybe a few little civilisations that have somehow come to haunt the place. I've been working out some systems I can use to incentivize the usual D&D loop of kill-monsters-get-stuff for characters who already seemingly have everything. Reviving an old idea I had for a three part weapon system for doing fantasy tech stuff and hacking out some rules for it. None of my old players are really up for gaming these days though.

So if you're a high level character, what are some things you'd like an item that becomes central to your character to do for you, besides just "more damage?" Could be whatever.
    So, thinking about the magic item/legendary item/whatever.

The more I think about it, the more I'm edging (haha) toward 'just works better'. I mean, for something like a sword, not (for example) a Wizard's Orb, which I guess could have all kinds of stuff it does, Wizards being that kind of people.

A sword is a killing tool. If one needs to pull out a sword, it's for that purpose (even if you're protecting someone, you pull a sword it's to kill the attacker). 'Kills better' seems to be the only real thing I'd want on it, were it something I were to use. 'Ignores defenses', 'does more damage', 'shears though armor like cheesecloth', 'obliterates enemy weapons when it encounters them', 'capable of killing anything, even things that supposedly are unkillable', 'enhances my own fighting skills/powers somehow', 'suppresses enemy powers' (<-- this would be the only one I can think of that really isn't just a 'sword choppy better' power), whatever. Kills better. Finishes the fight faster.

It's a sword. This is what it's for. It doesn't need to make me fly, or play 'Ride of the Valkyries', or whatever. By the time any character I'm playing is level Epic whatever, I feel they're going to be sick of fighting and killing and such, and if they pull out their sword they're going to want this over fast. Without 'glory' or some other way of glitter-washing what happens in life-and-death struggles.

This really doesn't change a lot if I'm playing a rogue-type. If it's a weapon, I want it to do what a weapon does, only better.

Once played an epic D&D campaign (PbP, sadly it folded all-too-quickly) that was going to be a more intrigue-style game (with some action and stuff, of course, but not constant fighting). I ended up making up an old school Epic Iaijutsu Master who was the bodyguard for the group mage, whose swords were basically 'really good swords' with bonuses toward Iaijutsu stuff (because that's what got me fast wins in fights), and whose other equipment was more pedestrian 'traveler's magic items' and basic protection. No epic weapons, legendary artifacts, anything.

That...that was fun. Sad it didn't go for a long time, but that's PbP 99% of the time.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 07-06-2022 at 11:25 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Government collapse now looks to be morphing into authoritarian coup.

So, that's happening.

Brace brace lads, it's going to get bumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

So, that's happening.

Make Boris should exit
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Make Boris should exit
    Get Borexit Done.

27 resignations in less than 24 hours.

Full on government collapse.
    What happens if it all goes down? If Boris goes bye-bye?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I have this idea for a Pathfinder game I wanna run, totally maxed out level 20 mythic rank 10 whatever bullshit
    Oooh I DO like hearing "Whatever bullshit".

Template stacking for DAYS!

And/or prep time abuse, that's another fun one.

So if you're a high level character, what are some things you'd like an item that becomes central to your character to do for you, besides just "more damage?" Could be whatever.
    Esoteric effects are the obvious answer.

Maybe something like Amberite Trumps that let you Sending at will and whatever the bigger teleport spell is once per day.

Boats that sail the Astral Plane or between Stars like Spelljammer.

Of course you say not "more damage", I once cranked the math on something that stacked every type of defensive bonus, but only as high as other preexisting items that used that bonus. It weighed in at AC +43, Spell resistance 24, and +30 to all saves for only 336,300 GP.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

So, that's happening.

He’s refusing to leave, isn’t he?

He’s refusing to leave. Ugh.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    A sword is a killing tool. If one needs to pull out a sword, it's for that purpose (even if you're protecting someone, you pull a sword it's to kill the attacker).

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Been following the production of this short for a while, lovely to see the finished product.

We are up to 52 resignations at time of writing for those playing along at home.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel