The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Okay, at the risk of prompting some long posts...
    ...there you go, Nik; the prophecy has come to pass.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...there you go, Nik; the prophecy has come to pass.
    Dance to my tune puppets hahaha

Okay, at the risk of prompting some long posts...

Anyone feeling any different about Rings of Power with the new trailer?

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Dance to my tune puppets hahaha
    You know all the buttons to push.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

It seems like they're focusing on of of the Queens of Numenor, as well. So, at the very least, I'm curious to see what they end up doing with all of this.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Nik, Beadle, stay cool and hydrated over there. I read it's supposed to get up to 40C (104F).
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Yeah, sounds quite agonizing over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    It seems like they're focusing on of of the Queens of Numenor, as well. So, at the very least, I'm curious to see what they end up doing with all of this.
    I'm also somewhat curious about where they'll go with that, then. Queens DID do some stuff, and there was one in particular....
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

The majority won't agree, but "Zetsubou Billy" from Maximum the Hormone is an all-time favorite

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-16-2022 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Nik, Beadle, stay cool and hydrated over there. I read it's supposed to get up to 40C (104F).
    Yeah, it's gonna be rough. I am not built for the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    The majority won't agree, but "Zetsubou Billy" from Maximum the Hormone is an all-time favorite

I prefer Koi no Mega Lover, MtH slap though.

Still gutted I missed the chance to see them live last month.

I prefer Koi no Mega Lover, MtH slap though.

Still gutted I missed the chance to see them live last month.
    OMG! Thanks for the recommendation (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-21-2022 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    (isn’t Galadriel like dozens of millennia old?).
    Galadriel was born during the Years of the Trees, before the First Age. So she actually saw the Trees, in Valinor. At the time of the beginning of the Second Age, she would likely be between five to ten thousand years old. Could be more; depends when she was born during the years of the Trees (it's hard to get an exact age for Galadriel, because the Years of the Trees aren't nailed down so much 'timewise', I don't know WHEN she was born in Valinor...maybe there's stuff in the Histories, but I'd really need to search for it and I don't feel like cracking open a pile of books ^_^).
    So, highly ironically, I cracked open a book this morning to do some light reading and came across this exact thing.

Tolkien goes through all kinds of different ideas on Elvish maturity and aging (yep, they do age, they aren't 'immortal' so to speak), but he does pretty clearly nail down how old Galadriel is in Years of the Sun (ie, regular years). All things considered, she's over nine thousand years old.

...depending on which version of Tolkien's notes you look at, this puts her at different levels of Elvish maturity, but his later notes (1965) on the matter, and the one with which he appeared happy, placed her at just getting out of her 'youth' (which he considered to be 'fully formed in body, but continuing to increase in knowledge and so forth') and into 'maturity' (which sort of meant still strong, but not really getting more knowledgeable - he uses the terms 'steadfast body' and 'their knowledge ceased to increase'). A rough equivalent in human years would be age 54.
    Why are we here?

So, highly ironically, I cracked open a book this morning to do some light reading and came across this exact thing.

Tolkien goes through all kinds of different ideas on Elvish maturity and aging (yep, they do age, they aren't 'immortal' so to speak), but he does pretty clearly nail down how old Galadriel is in Years of the Sun (ie, regular years). All things considered, she's over nine thousand years old.

...depending on which version of Tolkien's notes you look at, this puts her at different levels of Elvish maturity, but his later notes (1965) on the matter, and the one with which he appeared happy, placed her at just getting out of her 'youth' (which he considered to be 'fully formed in body, but continuing to increase in knowledge and so forth') and into 'maturity' (which sort of meant still strong, but not really getting more knowledgeable - he uses the terms 'steadfast body' and 'their knowledge ceased to increase'). A rough equivalent in human years would be age 54.
    54? The phrase 'their knowledge ceased to increase' is a rather cynical way to look at it.

It's been about 40 years since I read Tolkien, maybe it's about time I revisited it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.