Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I guess that sort of magic would probably be used for things like alchemy?
    Well electromagnetism magic could technically do alchemy.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I ask once more for the gestalts help!

Still planning a Sci-Fi RPG kind of like my old one, Pale Star, and would like some help with names for ships and a governing body that rules/runs the solar system. I thought about something like the United Sol Union or such (but the government covers more than just our solar system), but that seemed weak to me, and The Alliance is a bit over used. And Empire doesn’t work because it has a governing council at its head, not a single leader like a king or president.

Any ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 08-19-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Confederacy. Coalition. League. Compact. All decent titles for a 'whatever', all with different feelings. Compact gives the feeling of allied individual worlds. Coalition seems a little tighter. Confederacy and League feel even more tightly bound. Www.thesaurus.com is your friend.

Names for ships. First you need a designation - if you have the Sol League (let's say), then SLSV (Sol League Space Vessel) might be an example. After that, it's always good to find a theme. Are they named after famous people (SLSV Obama or SLSV Payne-Gaposchkin)? Famous generals (SLSV Rommel or MacArthur)? Abstract ideas (SLSV The Quiet of Joy)? Famous battles (SLSV Dunkirk)? Cities of Earth (SLSV Nairobi)? Stirring/martial concepts (SLSV Retribution)? Basically, get a theme and follow that theme to make things feel consistent.

And follow that pattern for every different group's fleet - if they come up against an evil empire, make the ship names consistent to some framework.

Don't forget to consider various classes of vessels - frigates, corvettes, cruisers, heavy cruisers, battleships, dreadnoughts, superdreadnoughts, monitors, light/heavy carriers, etc (stealing shamelessly from 'The Stars at War'/'Starfire', here). And the differences/uses for each. And why. Heck, you can start using different name themes for different classes. Carriers get one type of name, ships of the line get another, patrol ships get a third, etc.

Technology and weapon systems will expand on how things work/WHAT kinds of stuff is used/strategy. If all weapon systems are 'short ranged' for space battles, or ECM is spectacular, there's a darned good reason to develop fighters. If weapon systems are super-accurate, rapid-firing, and there are gigantic shields on everything, fighters become less important unless they have some kind of edge. Etc.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-19-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post

Still planning a Sci-Fi RPG kind of like my old one, Pale Star, and would like some help with names for ships and a governing body that rules/runs the solar system. I thought about something like the United Sol Union or such (but the government covers more than just our solar system), but that seemed weak to me, and The Alliance is a bit over used. And Empire doesn’t work because it has a governing council at its head, not a single leader like a king or president.

Any ideas are welcome.
    How about having a magic system based on the fundamental forces, like a science based magic system?
    My Forum check it out

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

My Forum check it out

Any ideas are welcome.
    Sagan Galactic Accord (SGA) or Sagan Interplanetary Accord (SIA) or Sagan Accord Galactic Alliance (SAGA)

Still very fond of Carl Sagan.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Dragonball: spoilers:
    Well, the explanation for Black Frieza makes sense. But it's a really out of nowhere plot development
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Confederacy. Coalition. League. Compact. All decent titles for a 'whatever', all with different feelings. Compact gives the feeling of allied individual worlds. Coalition seems a little tighter. Confederacy and League feel even more tightly bound. Www.thesaurus.com is your friend.

Names for ships. First you need a designation - if you have the Sol League (let's say), then SLSV (Sol League Space Vessel) might be an example. After that, it's always good to find a theme. Are they named after famous people (SLSV Obama or SLSV Payne-Gaposchkin)? Famous generals (SLSV Rommel or MacArthur)? Abstract ideas (SLSV The Quiet of Joy)? Famous battles (SLSV Dunkirk)? Cities of Earth (SLSV Nairobi)? Stirring/martial concepts (SLSV Retribution)? Basically, get a theme and follow that theme to make things feel consistent.

And follow that pattern for every different group's fleet - if they come up against an evil empire, make the ship names consistent to some framework.

Don't forget to consider various classes of vessels - frigates, corvettes, cruisers, heavy cruisers, battleships, dreadnoughts, superdreadnoughts, monitors, light/heavy carriers, etc (stealing shamelessly from 'The Stars at War'/'Starfire', here). And the differences/uses for each. And why. Heck, you can start using different name themes for different classes. Carriers get one type of name, ships of the line get another, patrol ships get a third, etc.

Technology and weapon systems will expand on how things work/WHAT kinds of stuff is used/strategy. If all weapon systems are 'short ranged' for space battles, or ECM is spectacular, there's a darned good reason to develop fighters. If weapon systems are super-accurate, rapid-firing, and there are gigantic shields on everything, fighters become less important unless they have some kind of edge. Etc.
    Ohh, hmm, I like this. This is solid advice.

What do people think of these……….

Coalition of Terran Territories

Solar Order of Terra

League of United Colonies

Sphere’s Union

Syndicate of Stars
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Solar Order of Terra

Sphere’s Union

Syndicate of Stars

I like Sphere's union the best, I feel it has the best acronym.
    My Forum check it out

Any ideas are welcome.
    Well, there's always the Republic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Well, there's always the Republic.

Somehow I feel like if I pick that one, the players will automatically presume the leaders are corrupt.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Somehow I feel like if I pick that one, the players will automatically presume the leaders are corrupt.
    I mean they'll probably assume that no matter what. Republics usually at least put on the pretense of caring about what the people want.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Solar Order of Terra

Sphere’s Union

Syndicate of Stars
    Sharp's advice was good, and some of those are good if not a little non-poetic. I still like my ideas, though I figure I'm in the minority on that.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The New Fullmetal Netflix Movie is out now! Should be good for a laugh.

Piece of advice: Watch the sub. The dub's audio is completely off.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.