Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Ohh, hmm, I like this. This is solid advice.

What do people think of these……….

Coalition of Terran Territories

Solar Order of Terra

League of United Colonies

Sphere’s Union

Syndicate of Stars
    Kind of depends what kind of governmental system you have and how you want to present it. Also, how many members and who has the power in that alliance.

A "syndicate" for example, is usually associated with organised crime. An "order" is usually a group founded a shared philosophy rather than a conglomeration of territories. "coalitions" tend to be a temporary arrangement of convenience rather than something that is a unified organisation - it implies two or more organisations working together for a limited duration.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Ohh, hmm, I like this. This is solid advice.

What do people think of these……….

Coalition of Terran Territories

Solar Order of Terra

League of United Colonies

Sphere’s Union

Syndicate of Stars
    Glad to hear the ideas were useful. Seems like you're getting some of your own, now.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Kind of depends what kind of governmental system you have and how you want to present it. Also, how many members and who has the power in that alliance.

A "syndicate" for example, is usually associated with organised crime. An "order" is usually a group founded a shared philosophy rather than a conglomeration of territories. "coalitions" tend to be a temporary arrangement of convenience rather than something that is a unified organisation - it implies two or more organisations working together for a limited duration.
    Great points here.

There's also the possibility of introducing some religious element and having that be part of the name. For example, The Holy Order of Terra, or the like. Of course, at this point it has to be part of the setting as well.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Great points here.

There's also the possibility of introducing some religious element and having that be part of the name. For example, The Holy Order of Terra, or the like. Of course, at this point it has to be part of the setting as well.
    And given enough time in that setting it'll turn into WH40K.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    And given enough time in that setting it'll turn into WH40K.
    Well, okay, you've got me there. ^_^

Okay, 64 pages into my New Year's Story, feels like I'm maaaaybe 2/3 finished (good, length is reasonably close what is expected though there's plenty of time for the darned thing to balloon on me), had some revelations for themes and extended metaphors halfway through it (it's the first draft, there will be changes), so I'm pretty happy being this far ahead while still in August.

Especially since Staples now needs to send the darned thing Montréal to get it printed and bound. That takes three weeks, it's new (as of last year), and screwed me last year with regards to delivering it printed and bound on New Years (ended up wrapping the manuscript and then getting it bound AFTER it was read).
    Why are we here?

The Guardian had an article on spiders this week, and DIDN'T put a big photo of one on the front page.

Either it was already earmarked as a non-photo-worthy article, or my last letter to them begging to never to do that again had an impact. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Okay, 64 pages into my New Year's Story, feels like I'm maaaaybe 2/3 finished (good, length is reasonably close what is expected though there's plenty of time for the darned thing to balloon on me), had some revelations for themes and extended metaphors halfway through it (it's the first draft, there will be changes), so I'm pretty happy being this far ahead while still in August.

Especially since Staples now needs to send the darned thing Montréal to get it printed and bound. That takes three weeks, it's new (as of last year), and screwed me last year with regards to delivering it printed and bound on New Years (ended up wrapping the manuscript and then getting it bound AFTER it was read).
    My husband finally finished his manuscript [a History of Japan for a Reference Resource (World History Project, so there are many other authors submitting works) for College Students] and submitted it to his publisher. Unfortunately, the Editor is on vacation but promised to contact him early next month.

My husband worked really hard on it, so fingers crossed that the editor is impressed.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    My husband finally finished his manuscript [a History of Japan for a Reference Resource (World History Project, so there are many other authors submitting works) for College Students] and submitted it to his publisher. Unfortunately, the Editor is on vacation but promised to contact him early next month.

My husband worked really hard on it, so fingers crossed that the editor is impressed.
    Tell him good luck!

Well, better late than never, but that does sound aggravating. But it's sweet your still keeping the tradition going! :3

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Tell him good luck!

Well, better late than never, but that does sound aggravating. But it's sweet your still keeping the tradition going! :3
    He's got himself locked away in his home office. He's already starting in his next project.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

Congrats to your husband, and good luck!
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I do enjoy it, so...
    Why are we here?

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I do enjoy it, so...
    "I enjoyed things once."

Stares off into the horizon while smoking a cigarette. Chokes and coughs on the smoke after the first puff.

"Hack, cough, what the hell, this is just a candy cig, why is there real smoke?"

spoilers:
    nah, but that's good
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

....Wow, that long I was not really here?