The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

The fight between Denken, Frieren, and the Great Demons Macht and Solitär seems to be reaching a conclusion (we're on chapter 99 now, no surprise, I predict it'll end in chapter 100).

spoilers:
    Frieren continues to show her absolute disgust and hatred of demons (again, it's surprising given how she treats everyone else, but perfectly in character for her). But she gets attacked by Solitär in a way she has never experienced before, with Solitär using a 'very simple spell' that 'just blasts away mana', that nonetheless is 'the easiest way to kill a person'. I can appreciate this - simplicity is often the best route - and this doesn't create fancy lightning or hellfire or anything, it just (in Frieren's words when she analyzes it) creates attacks that 'pierce her defensive magic with unfathomable density, as if it was made of scrap paper'. She talks about how their mana is roughly equal, but that Solitär's control of her own mana is 'almost from another dimension' it's so good.

Note that this attack is punching right through Frieren's shields like they're nothing, shields shown to be some of the best in the series, shields that have withstood attacks that utterly devastate vast swaths of rocky landscape as collateral for the attack, shields that casually block attacks that - when they miss - slice through 10' thick stone pillars and keep going afterward, etc.

Frieren then shows what she's good at, herself, and after dodging and getting clipped by this attack about three times, analyzes it and promptly uses the exact same attack on Solitär at point-blank range. This again comes with a speed feat for Frieren - they're there, they're just hard to see, but she consistently outpaces and pre-empts people capable of flash-stepping great distances, dodging and blocking lightning from multiple directions, and that sort of thing. Solitär herself easily deals with Fern and Stark simultaneously, both Fern and Stark having some pretty impressive speedfeats as I recall, and Frieren is shown to be easily faster than Solitär.

The Rundown for speed: Stark easily blink-steps while fighting. Fern easily fights against demons who blink-step, and when she pushes herself can actually overwhelm them based on pure speed.
    Solitär casually defends herself against both Stark and Fern, and equally casually beats both of them.
    Frieren, when badly injured, decides 'Okay, I really have to kill this person' and easily outspeeds Solitär, who has also shown herself as capable of using pinpoint shield defenses against multiple lightning bolts coming at her simutaneously.

Frieren reacting to lightspeed attacks isn't so much ridiculous anymore.

Better yet, it also shows some solid damage soak, given that despite her shields being busted up and her body hammered hundreds of feet through the air, busting huge trees with its passage and opening gigantic bleeding wounds on her, Frieren continues to operate as if she's doing just fine, thanks.

I guess next chapter will start likely with Frieren finishing off Solitär then switch to Macht versus Denken. I'll be a little sad about losing Macht, because the character is pretty interesting.

Solitär is also interesting, but more in a 'makes a good antagonist, will applaud when she gets buried' sort of way.
    end of spoilers

Gradually building up my library of Frieren feats, and this one is pretty good.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-31-2022 at 05:01 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I look forward to the inevitable respect thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I look forward to the inevitable respect thread.
    I won't be putting up scans of everything, but if people need a scan I'll track it down. It'll be more 'Frieren: where does she sit? Who can beat her, and who can she beat?'

She's in the top area of her own world (but not THE top), but that doesn't make her the be-all and end-all. There are a whole lot of mages and so forth in fiction who are waaaay above her.

At the same time, she's not street-level or anything of the sort.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I won't be putting up scans of everything, but if people need a scan I'll track it down. It'll be more 'Frieren: where does she sit? Who can beat her, and who can she beat?'

She's in the top area of her own world (but not THE top), but that doesn't make her the be-all and end-all. There are a whole lot of mages and so forth in fiction who are waaaay above her.

At the same time, she's not street-level or anything of the sort.
    That's a respect thread, or perhaps respect post.

The longer I've been in the Rumbles game, the more I've felt that exhaustive respect threads aren't that useful. You need accurate interpretations of the characters' parameters and any special cases they might have.

That's a respect thread, or perhaps respect post.

The longer I've been in the Rumbles game, the more I've felt that exhaustive respect threads aren't that useful. You need accurate interpretations of the characters' parameters and any special cases they might have.
    Hence, 'who can she beat?' Might get some discussion going, and further examination of stuff, rather than me just dumping a ****-ton of scans without context. ^_^

Basically I plan on writing up where I figure she sits with regards to offensive magic, defensive magic, durability, speed, that kind of thing. Giving a few examples. Then dumping a list of spells she knows, and giving spells/examples for other people in the series she has faced, or who are blatantly beneath her.

After that, if people are interested in discussing I'm open! ^_^
    Why are we here?

Hence, 'who can she beat?' Might get some discussion going, and further examination of stuff, rather than me just dumping a ****-ton of scans without context. ^_^

Basically I plan on writing up where I figure she sits with regards to offensive magic, defensive magic, durability, speed, that kind of thing. Giving a few examples. Then dumping a list of spells she knows, and giving spells/examples for other people in the series she has faced, or who are blatantly beneath her.

After that, if people are interested in discussing I'm open! ^_^
    I'm always in the market to give a niche character a wee push.

You've certainly been the lone reply in some of my weirder threads haha.

I'm always in the market to give a niche character a wee push.

You've certainly been the lone reply in some of my weirder threads haha.
    Same deal here - niche characters are what we need in some ways, as we've beaten most of the others to death with very large sticks.

I rather enjoy your weirder threads, and am always sad when I have to say 'I got nothing'.
    Why are we here?

Oh, Penny Blood definitely has that Shadow Hearts energy, and Matthew feels like a reborn Yuri!

Last edited by Len Ikari145; 08-31-2022 at 08:42 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Four Knights of the Apocalypse: When the power of hope and friendship isn't quite enough, the power of being a pissed of demon-angel hybrid will suffice.

Hajime no Ippo: Actually quite interested in how this fight will go. Ricardo should win for narrative purposes, but how far will Woli push him. And will he make Ricardo enjoy the fight?

Edens Zero: The cast are asking questions I've been pondering. There's something that doesn't quite add up with Ziggy's story. But things just keep getting worse for the heroes. This series certainly pushes the cast to their brink quite a lot.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Four Knights of the Apocalypse: When the power of hope and friendship isn't quite enough, the power of being a pissed of demon-angel hybrid will suffice.

Hajime no Ippo: Actually quite interested in how this fight will go. Ricardo should win for narrative purposes, but how far will Woli push him. And will he make Ricardo enjoy the fight?

Edens Zero: The cast are asking questions I've been pondering. There's something that doesn't quite add up with Ziggy's story. But things just keep getting worse for the heroes. This series certainly pushes the cast to their brink quite a lot.
    I was entertained by how deliciously condescending Ziggy was when Shiki (acting as the audience surrogate) asked him all of the questions that we want to know, only to respond with what is essentially: "Did I ever say that you need to understand my motives?" What a troll. And yeah, Mashima is keeping us on our toes both with these revelations and what's occurring with the crew. And that last page...Oof.

If only Injustice ended this way.

So, Undead Unluck is getting an anime adaptation in 2023 produced by both David Productions and TMS. Considering the quality of anime created by both studios(Fire Force, Lupin and the JoJo series), productions values are going to be insane!
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 08-31-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Oh, Penny Blood definitely has that Shadow Hearts energy, and Matthew feels like a reborn Yuri!

Baller!

Nice spin (lol) on the judgement ring system.

Yeah, best way to level up was to fight outside of that Mako.

...the Mako which, ironically, isn't a whole lot easier to drive in ME Legendary. I feel it's less bouncy, but the 'jump' function is kind of garbage now. ^_^ Oh, Mako, you gigantic PITA, how I love you.

If anyone still gets on ME Multiplayer on Xbox Live...I'm still there (Sharpandpointy). Not often, but at least once or twice a week, saving the galaxy from the Reapers alongside my wife (she's still working on her N7 weaponry, is about 2/3 finished it all Edit: luckily she finished the best 'generalist' AR in the game a while back - the Lancer - and now uses it with almost everything).
    Mako in general feels like has more weight to it in its handling