Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is taken outside and beaten to death for being a mutant freak.
    Hahaha, very apt.

Well, it's official boys. She's in and already had an awkward speech gaffe within 60 seconds of winning the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    When the economic think-tank dismissed Truss’ economic plans as over-optimistic and ill-thought, her advisors came out with the line that it was actually “novel thinking that challenges orthodoxy” I just had to shake my head in disbelief.

She’s going to cut taxes to ‘drive growth’ instead of focusing on tackling hyper-inflation first, not realising that there will be no growth if nobody has any money left to spend on anything.

She’s bewilderingly out of her depth.

All through the hustings, you could gradually watch in Sunak’s eyes the growing realisation of the institutional financial ineptitude of his colleagues in the parliamentary Conservative party. I could almost hear his brain saying “So it’s just me that gets it then.”
    So her plan is to do what Trump did, essentially. Which... pretty much catapulted inflation.

I uh. You guys gonna be okay?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Honestly, at this point, who knows?

I mean if you looked up the definition of the word ‘truss’ in the dictionary, it would basically be a floppy, beige object that serves no other purpose than to support a Johnson, so it’s very apropos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    So her plan is to do what Trump did, essentially. Which... pretty much catapulted inflation.

I uh. You guys gonna be okay?
    Well, the good news is, she can't force inflation into double figures because it's pretty much there already.

The bad news is she could make things a lot worse.

In personal terms, unless things go exceptionally sideways, my household and I should be just about okay as long as our landlords don't get skittish and our energy bills only go up by like 100% or so. That's just about manageable, our rent is very cheap and I have a pretty low cost lifestyle and no dependents to worry about.

As a country?

Well, the most pointed statistic at the moment is that the energy cap, ridiculously high though it is, only applies to households. Business are exempt and are seeing absolutely insane rises in the cost of energy, as are schools, care homes and hospitals which is... you know.. extremely bad and will see people die.

From a perspective of British psychology, reports are that 7 out of 10 pubs will not survive the winter without serious government intervention. Given how supine and unwilling to mobilise the certain quarters of the country are, I think this is the one thing that cut through all political lines and unite people toward genuine action; the loss of the pub.

I am only like 25% joking on this. Pub culture is unironically hugely important to British culture and identity. Communities will be very, very angry about this if it comes to pass.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Massive tax breaks to the rich while spouting about trickle-down economics (something that has never, ever worked) is kind of a conservative thing in any country. -_-

Sorry you guys are going through this.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 09-05-2022 at 10:04 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Well, the good news is, she can't force inflation into double figures because it's pretty much there already.

In personal terms, unless things go exceptionally sideways, my household and I should be just about okay as long as our landlords don't get skittish and our energy bills only go up by like 100% or so. That's just about manageable, our rent is very cheap and I have a pretty low cost lifestyle and no dependents to worry about.

As a country?

Well, the most pointed statistic at the moment is that the energy cap, ridiculously high though it is, only applies to households. Business are exempt and are seeing absolutely insane rises in the cost of energy, as are schools, care homes and hospitals which is... you know.. extremely bad and will see people die.

From a perspective of British psychology, reports are that 7 out of 10 pubs will not survive the winter without serious government intervention. Given how supine and unwilling to mobilise the certain quarters of the country are, I think this is the one thing that cut through all political lines and unite people toward genuine action; the loss of the pub.

I am only like 25% joking on this. Pub culture is unironically hugely important to British culture and identity. Communities will be very, very angry about this if it comes to pass.
    Sounds pretty terrible. What I've heard secondhand through people talking about it/podcasts has thrown up some pretty alarming numbers wrt to things like cost to operate gas and average salary/paycheck and I'm sure if I went looking for it I could find a lot more specifically worse things.

Best of luck
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    seems to be a case of one character just has appeared in a ton more media than the other and thus has far more feats to draw on in Death Battle's silly everything counts format

next episode is spoilers:
    Black Adam vs Apocalypse and expect Jobocalyspe is gonna job per normal
    end of spoilers

Also the new Rick and Morty season started and the first episode is raising some multiversal existential questions that make my head hurt
    Last edited by Hiromi; 09-05-2022 at 11:25 AM.

As a country?

Well, that's far more dire than I would've expected. Though I suppose in a way it's not... Entirely unsurprising given the level of parity between US, and UK in terms of right wing political incompetence.

Most certainly hoping for the best for you all, and if the Great Pub Dieoff does come to pass, hopefully it'll compel the Brisith people to act in a similar fashion to Americans response to the fall of Roe v. Wade.

And hoping even more hoping it happens before things enter the 'much worse' scenario.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member

SPY X FAMILY: Nice end to that little filler arc. Not gonna lie though, they totally had me in the first part even though I should've known better.

My Hero Academia: Still kinda whatever about the Bakugo stuff. But I'm loving that the true petulant and hate-filled Shigaraki is finally showing himself.

Jujutsu Kaisen: I am cool with Maki getting some kind of psychological power up through training. But I am less cool with it being because of a couple of randos popping up from basically nowhere.

Black Clover: It is time for the series final training arc. Probably in Yami's home country.

What do you mean Dark?

You're not a fan of pep-talk-Sumo guy? That will established character that was introduced last chapter?

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

As a country?

Cripes.

Good luck and hang in there, man. I hope this can all get turned around soon as possible.

Extraordinary Member

What do you mean Dark?

You're not a fan of pep-talk-Sumo guy? That will established character that was introduced last chapter?
    Not really no. And this idea that Maki never had a mentor to unlock her full potential has a bit of a lacklustre presentation. But that might be an intended joke, not sure.

The joke worked better when Maki decimated the Zenin clan seconds after they all got these really dramatic introductions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Not really no. And this idea that Maki never had a mentor to unlock her full potential has a bit of a lacklustre presentation. But that might be an intended joke, not sure.

The joke worked better when Maki decimated the Zenin clan seconds after they all got these really dramatic introductions.
    I'm waiting to see how it lands. I don't mind this per say but I don't love it as a direction.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.