Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Given that this is the first time we've had a dead monarch in 70 years, we're seeing an opportunity for an outpouring of a lot of grievances held by those impacted by those systems. Time for modern conversations and, yes, a lot of memes, vitriols and clowning.

I mean, Elizabeth has been Queen for 30% of the entire lifespan of the United States and she is only the most recent monarch. You guys just don't really have historic institutions of that scale, people get very deep into the weeds about it.
    Yeah that’s the part that may be a bit hard to grasp immediately. Multiple Generations have been born, lived, and potentially died in the span of her being in power.

I am sure I would hate her and what she stands for if I knew her more intimately but since I’m an American I don’t have experience with either being colonized or living under her so I don’t have that history
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the break down.
    Happy to help. The monarchy and its cultural position in the British psyche is quite a complex topic and, since it's going to be in the news for a while, I'm very inclined to try and provide context.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Yeah that’s the part that may be a bit hard to grasp immediately. Multiple Generations have been born, lived, and potentially died in the span of her being in power.

I am sure I would hate her and what she stands for if I knew her more intimately but since I’m an American I don’t have experience with either being colonized or living under her so I don’t have that history
    And the thing is, some people really like her in part because of that longevity. Genuinely. There are crowds of hundreds of people outside the palace now and have been all day of people mourning her passing.

I've seen so many more centrist and right wing pundits saying words to the effect of "She was the one thing that could unite this country, regardless of politics," and actually believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Not really no. And this idea that Maki never had a mentor to unlock her full potential has a bit of a lacklustre presentation. But that might be an intended joke, not sure.

The joke worked better when Maki decimated the Zenin clan seconds after they all got these really dramatic introductions.
    Alright with a new chapter of JJK we now see that Maki was doing sumo /for a really long time./

So that err, that err... makes it better?

Humans really are mutants

Scientists have discovered a glitch in our DNA that may have helped set the minds of our ancestors apart from those of Neanderthals and other extinct relatives.

The mutation, which arose in the past few hundred thousand years, spurs the development of more neurons in the part of the brain that we use for our most complex forms of thought, according to a new study published in Science on Thursday.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'm pretty sure all life on Earth is mutants.

Black Clover: Okay, interesting developments in this chapter. I look forward to seeing if Asta actually learns new techniques involving Ki or if he'll gain a new sword. And I'm not buying that "Childhood Friend" claim in the slightest spoilers:
    because the resemblance between Ryuga and Yami is far too prevalent for it to be a mere coincidence. Additionally, that Charmy-Paisen gives me hope that it's a hint that we'll finally get to see Dwarves/the Earth Spirit in this arc.
    end of spoilers And it's surprising to see Nacht being positive in his belief that Asta is alive and rallying the troops to search for him; it's also uplifting to see how much Asta truly means to the Black Bulls. I do wonder where Noelle, Secre and Mimosa are doing right now.

Jujutsu Kaisen: Okay, so spoilers:
    Maki gained a new extrasensory perception.
    end of spoilers
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

But when is Magneto coming
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I'm pretty sure all life on Earth is mutants.
    If all life on Earth is Mutants, then where are the Non-mutants?

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    But when is Magneto coming
    Any generation now. All it takes is enough environmental stressors and *Boom* the human DNA glitches again.

Cobra Kai Season 5 is a breezy watch so far.

Mildly annoyed at the true origins of Cobra Kai's style and parts of Chozen's portrayal, but not enough that it pulls me out of this silly karate-based world.

Also Sam continues to be the worst character, but that's not really a spoiler.

Mutation isn't a binary category. Like within humans right now there are tons of mutations, like ginger hair and green eyes or more extreme stuff albinism and even some forms of disability.

Mutation is, by definition, something that has the chance to occur generationally all the time. You would be hard pressed to find a singular group that contains zero mutation in its history to classify as non-mutants.

Fantastic Member

Overly Sarcastic Productions looks at Deus Ex Machinas:

Extraordinary Member

Good One Piece this week.

Back to the larger picture.
    The "stuff happens in the rest of the world"-chapters are always a hoot. And I do appreciate a little more explanation of why Yamato isn't joining up immediately with the crew.

Seems Vegapunk has created spoilers:
    much stronger pacifistas that are look like the Shichibukai when they were kids for some reason.
    end of spoilers Weird design choice but whatever floats his boat.

My favourite part is spoilers:
    Rayleigh scaring away Blackbeard but admitting to himself that he probably would've lost.
    end of spoilers
    This tweet sums it up real well.

Saw another twitter thread pointing out all the small details that hint at Shakky's former position that was revealed this chapter. Oda is so damn good at this whole foreshadowing thing.
    Alright with a new chapter of JJK we now see that Maki was doing sumo /for a really long time./

So that err, that err... makes it better?
    I mean, kinda. A domain expansion basically being a room of spirit and time exclusively for sumo wrestling fits the series quite well. But I'm still not super into that it's brought to us by one of two random weird dudes that just showed up.

At least they're both kind of honest about it. They're just here to do sumo and cut shit up, and they don't care about anything else. Compare that to the MHA situation (which I will admit that I'm not entirely vibing with) where Edgeshot has been established as existing and being a capable hero, but otherwise completely lacks the narrative weight to be a relevant sacrifice in saving Bakugou.

I don't really care for either solution to the problems presented. But at least in JJK they're kind of honest that they're just here for a quick fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Black Clover: Okay, interesting developments in this chapter. I look forward to seeing if Asta actually learns new techniques involving Ki or if he'll gain a new sword. And I'm not buying that "Childhood Friend" claim in the slightest spoilers:
    because the resemblance between Ryuga and Yami is far too prevalent for it to be a mere coincidence. Additionally, that Charmy-Paisen gives me hope that it's a hint that we'll finally get to see Dwarves/the Earth Spirit in this arc.
    end of spoilers And it's surprising to see Nacht being positive in his belief that Asta is alive and rallying the troops to search for him; it's also uplifting to see how much Asta truly means to the Black Bulls. I do wonder where Noelle, Secre and Mimosa are doing right now.
    I can buy Asta going into a kind of ki-sensory based Ultra Instinct-esque zen mode. And it would be cool if Asta and Liebe could get to forge their own sword and add it to the book.

And yeah, spoilers:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ryuga is Yami's brother. I was a bit surprised Asta didn't confuse the two actually.
    end of spoilers

When Nacht starts beliving in a person he goes all in on that. He's a tough cookie to crack, but once that happens you've got a fan for life.

Mutation isn't a binary category. Like within humans right now there are tons of mutations, like ginger hair and green eyes or more extreme stuff albinism and even some forms of disability.

Mutation is, by definition, something that has the chance to occur generationally all the time. You would be hard pressed to find a singular group that contains zero mutation in its history to classify as non-mutants.
    Scientifically speaking that is correct. Speaking in terms of Comics and similar fiction (which I was in using the word Mutant instead of mutation), Mutants are a whole subspecies or something similar.

In my poor attempt at a joke, I was making that distinction in regards to the comment that Everything on Earth is a Mutant.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Whatever the first life form was.

Which was some kind natural protein mutation, probably.

Or aliens.

I mean, I'm not saying it was aliens, but it could totally be aliens.

And God only knows what they mutated from.

In my poor attempt at a joke, I was making that distinction in regards to the comment that Everything on Earth is a Mutant.
    The funny thing is, the first thing this made me think of was an Amalgam Comics issue where the Hellfire League of Injustice summons Fin Fang Flame to annihilate all mutant kind. He proceeds to roast his own summoners and then try to burn down the entire planet, because "all Earthly life is born from a series of mutations, so everyone is a mutant".

Then he got punched in the brain by the JLX.

It was pretty based.

Based in what, you might ask?

How the hell should I know, I just work here.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 09-10-2022 at 07:09 AM.