BANNED

One of the guys I worked with gave it to their grandfather.

Needless to say, he spent a night in the ER when he has a horrible reaction to it.

BANNED

I can't wait for the queen to make her grand return.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crunkula View Post

I can't wait for the queen to make her grand return.
    Hmm...

While I'm always happy for more Bayonetta, there's definitely going to be an adjustment period for me with her new voice actor.

Also, controlling her summons directly looks like it's kinda sluggish to control. Kind of hope that's not mandatory, I like when the games play fast and it's all about tight dodges and countering. Controlling a big stomping summon while you stand there in the background feels very antithetical to that.

Otherwise, it looks pretty wild in terms of what it's doing with set pieces and story. I'm obviously going to buy it.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    As an aside, what was your opinion on Dr. Strange subjecting a man to weeks of torture because he wanted tried to stop his traveling companion from stealing a hot dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Lmao that scene was wild when you think about it. He should be dead

But I bought it bc it was Bruce Campbell and a shout out to his tie with raimi (where he has his own history of beating himself up) basically
    Yeah, that scene....

Okay, Classic Strange would occasionally get into situations with 'normal people' (sometimes muggers, sometimes just annoying people) and use minor magics to deal with it. Like, the 'worst' one was when some obnoxious dude who had heard of him interrupted his date to sit down at his table at a cafe (I kid you not), help himself to Strange and his date's food, and talk talk talk. Strange magicked him to have a huge appetite then, while he was frantically scarfing all the food, told the waiter 'That guy there is picking up the bill.'

I kind of can get that one.

But for me, this scene in the movie is a great example of the 'shallow humor' I was talking about. It's very Whedon-esque, done for a momentary laugh without considering the broad implications.

1. They have stolen food from this guy.
    2. He's confronting them over it.
    3. They didn't attempt any sort of restitution - sure, the guy was aggressive, but Strange going straight to 'use magic ON A NORMAL when we are in the wrong' seems...ugh.
    4. Strange makes the guy punch himself in the face for a couple of weeks. 'Weeks of torture' is a good way of putting it.

I get that it's a call-out to Bruce Campbell, etc. But there would have been better ways to do some Raimi/Campbell call-out without a scene that is, in essence, absolutely appalling and rather against everything Strange was taught (and who he is).

By the way hope it doesn’t come across like I’m trying to talk you out of or into a different opinion Sharp, just trying to explain my headspace with the two films lol
    No, no worries, same here (why I'm going constantly with 'my feelings' and 'I feel that' etc). These are my opinions, is all.

One thing I would be curious about is if there are people here that liked The Eternals though. I feel like that is a film that really didn’t go over well by having the unenviable position of being just different enough from the mcu norms to cause confusion among hardcore fans while also having new ways to mess up for a marvel film on top of that
    Haven't seen it, sorry.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Putting Final Fantasy-esque stuff in One Piece games always creates a bit of a disonance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    But for me, this scene in the movie is a great example of the 'shallow humor' I was talking about. It's very Whedon-esque, done for a momentary laugh without considering the broad implications.

I get that it's a call-out to Bruce Campbell, etc. But there would have been better ways to do some Raimi/Campbell call-out without a scene that is, in essence, absolutely appalling and rather against everything Strange was taught (and who he is).
    That’s interesting and I can definitely see your point. However I feel like when I was watching it I felt like it was such a dick move (and then tied with that after credits scene) that it felt intentional and I read it as Raimi going over the top and just putting a mean spin to Strange, which kinda just tied in to my feeling of enjoyment to the movie lol. I know the MCU has done shallow humor but I guess I can’t recall a hero going out of his way recently to just absolutely screw over some poor man like this. Raimi would tie someone into a slapstick routine for weeks though.

Of course it doesn’t change how you’d feel if you viewed it out of that lens. Would I want this from Strange all the time, or from someone else, nah, not really. I guess I take it kind of like an author coming into a character and doing sone cracked out stuff and just enjoying that instance

Haven't seen it, sorry.
    Like I said I have low standards with the mcu right now so boring or otherwise shallow stuff doesn’t bother me much, but I remember Eternals actually made me angry at points lol, which is a rarer experience. It was like it had just enough attempts to flout an MCU formula that when it failed to escape or did poorly it was worse. Just smart enough to be real stupid iirc
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Got a manga recommendation for the Rumbles community.

Tenkaichi: Nihon Saikyou Bugeisha Ketteisen

This is basically a "What If" fantasy tournament between Japanese greatest warriors. The art is ridiculously nice, combat is very visceral and it's got just a touch of the Baki-esq combat madness and hyper expressive art to it which is fun. Some really gonzo visuals out here.

But what I think you will all find quite intriguing; according to the author, this series is technically operating with PIS off. In the authors notes for a chapter, they revealed that they haven't actually planned who is going to win in the end, there is no formal protagonist specifically to prevent trope-like victories and the like. Apparently, they plan out each combat encounter on a per-encounter basis, without thinking about a larger narrative.

So, check it out? You might find it fun. It is quite violent but in a fun way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Got a manga recommendation for the Rumbles community.

Tenkaichi: Nihon Saikyou Bugeisha Ketteisen

This is basically a "What If" fantasy tournament between Japanese greatest warriors. The art is ridiculously nice, combat is very visceral and it's got just a touch of the Baki-esq combat madness and hyper expressive art to it which is fun. Some really gonzo visuals out here.

But what I think you will all find quite intriguing; according to the author, this series is technically operating with PIS off. In the authors notes for a chapter, they revealed that they haven't actually planned who is going to win in the end, there is no formal protagonist specifically to prevent trope-like victories and the like. Apparently, they plan out each combat encounter on a per-encounter basis, without thinking about a larger narrative.

So, check it out? You might find it fun. It is quite violent but in a fun way.
    ...okay, I will for sure look this up.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Kate Beaton has written a graphic novel about the Canadian Oil Sands: Ducks.

Having loved Beaton in the past, and worked with Oil Sands waste (eff-you Trudeau for keeping it alive!), I am certainly purchasing this.
    Why are we here?

Kate Beaton has written a graphic novel about the Canadian Oil Sands: Ducks.

Having loved Beaton in the past, and worked with Oil Sands waste (eff-you Trudeau for keeping it alive!), I am certainly purchasing this.
    I been waiting for this book for like two years now, it my pre-order in last week, should get it in the next day or so.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

1. They have stolen food from this guy.
    2. He's confronting them over it.
    3. They didn't attempt any sort of restitution - sure, the guy was aggressive, but Strange going straight to 'use magic ON A NORMAL when we are in the wrong' seems...ugh.
    4. Strange makes the guy punch himself in the face for a couple of weeks. 'Weeks of torture' is a good way of putting it.
    Ugh. Strange could have easily magicked up some money, I'm pretty sure. Like not even fake money, just "give me a second to get my wallet" makes a small portal to his wallet, and grabbed some cash. Could had a funny reaction from Campbell to that, too.

MCU is not the best for humor.

MCU Doc Strange never felt like comic Doc Strange to me much.

Extraordinary Member

So it seems like the Yakuza franchise is rebranding to be the "Like a Dragon" franchise, at least in the west

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    So it seems like the Yakuza franchise is rebranding to be the "Like a Dragon" franchise, at least in the west
    Technically, Like a Dragon is just the Japanese name for the series in English.

It just didn't seem viable over here in the west, so they dropped it or something and went with Yakuza.

It's more like a return to form, kinda.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Edens Zero: spoilers:
    So, Cure fancies himself to be another Aizen. Admittedly, this does explain why Drakken just so happened to stumble upon a book that told him how to use his Ether Gear as a child. Same with Nero's dice. And what he did to the Yukino Cosmos, simply to mold Holy into the warrior he wanted her to be, is just vile. I'm glad that Acronella and Ziggy are outliers in his plans for "Balance". I'm hoping that he isn't taken out too quickly since he is an intriguing villain.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I wouldn't make the Aizen comparison myself. Cure is more "My weirdly saddistic view of good and evil justifies all the evil I do because if I didn't do the evil stuff then there wouldn't be anything for the good guys to do."

While Aizen was more "I have seen the face of god, it is a sham puppet controlled by facist bureaucrats, and I really don't want to uphold other peoples' evil bureaucracy so I'm going to cut out all the middlemen and become the god bureaucrat to rule them all."

But yeah, Cure is quite decidedly vile, even compared to a lot of the other vile characters in this series. I think the story is moving towards a Deadend Crow is destroyed while Cure escapes. And it's good that he isn't behind all the evil in the galaxy. Would seem quite silly.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Seven Deadly Sins KoTA: Jeez, Arthur, when and where did you get the Gate of Babylon? Gilga-douche will not be pleased. spoilers:
    Seriously, Arthur is genuinely intimidating and off-putting as the series' seemingly main antagonist and his attempts at gaslighting Brittania with visions of his ideal Camelot while endorsing racial cleansing just solidifies how far gone he is. I'm honestly looking forward to seeing how Meliodas measures up against him.
    end of spoilers
    Arther is really good as a villain, and it'll be interesting to see how this power dynamic works out next week. I mean, there has to be some reason for why they need the four knights.

Extraordinary Member

One Piece: spoilers:
    Damn, Rip Sabo I guess
    end of spoilers