Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Johnson was less incompetent as he was just incredibly corrupt. Highlights of his premiership include but are not limited to; allowing an epic amount of corruption over government covid contracts, doing some crimes by breaking laws he himself had instated, attempting to protect and promote a couple of sex offenders within parliament, lying constantly, having three ethics ministers resign on him in protest and other such fun things.

Despite all this Johnson was somewhat successful as he was using populist rhetoric about levelling up deprived areas of the country which outflanked Labour to the left on the economy, though the new department for levelling up is pretty inefficient, and he was somewhat charismatic to a certain section of the population. So he got by for a while without his party turning on him.

Truss appears to be worse in that she's a hard right economic ideologue with no ideas and no charisma. During the leadership election in the Tory party, much hay was made of her economic plan with pundits saying "Well, she's saying she's going to do this but once she's in office, she'll have to face reality and make a different choice,"

Alas, she did not. The main thing is that her economic plan is in the process of crashing our economy with the pound being the lowest it's ever been at since the invention of the dollar and our economy shrinking by 3% in less than a week.

This Twitter thread is a more full accounting of what the last seven days have been like.

So things are pretty bad.

The last three Tory Prime Ministers have all resigned rather than been voted out. We have had two elections 2017 and 2019 in that period which the Tories won both times.

Truss is falling apart in record time though, that's the unprecedented bit. The difference between her and Johnson is that her party really hate her and they liked Johnson.
    Read through the Twitter thread, then continued down the comments til I found this lovely quote.

Margarine Thatcher or, as the Tory members who voted for her are starting to call her, I Can't Believe She's Not Better.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

My comment wasn't that the price point reflected the quality of the film, I have bought cheap DVDs of lots of good films over the years. MD Geist isn't one of them but I don't think the price you pay for a piece of media really factors into its quality.

My point was more that I came across this weird DVD very much by chance, having never heard of it before nor heard of anyone else who had seen it since. Because of that context, it's surprising for me to encounter two people who have not only seen it but even like it.

Is it on the intellectual level of Monster or the artistic gracefulness of Cowboy Bebop? Oh hell no!

While not something that I would label a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, I still would recommend it to anyone who wants a more gritty take on the mech genre. Or, at the very least, a show you can kill a few hours with a group of friends and some beer.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crunkula View Post
    Or, at the very least, a show you can kill a few hours with a group of friends and some beer.
    This was definitely the level we were on.

It killed about an hour, we had some drinks and some laughs.

If I were to recommend a gritty mecha show, not that I am big mecha guy, I'd probably go with Blue Gender. Post apocalyptic, very downbeat vibes, fair amount of gore and grit and all that.

BANNED

This was definitely the level we were on.

It killed about an hour, we had some drinks and some laughs.

If I were to recommend a gritty mecha show, not that I am big mecha guy, I'd probably go with Blue Gender. Post apocalyptic, very downbeat vibes, fair amount of gore and grit and all that.
    Ah, Blue Gender.

A goofy show with a WTF ending and mech designs that made no sense whatsoever.

Extraordinary Member

Chainsaw man: spoilers:
    5 chapters into the school arc and now we have a school shooter. Yep, this sure is Chainsawman
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Can't believe it. Refuse to
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Audibly booing.

Okay so obviously this video is a bit, but I think it also is illustrative of the larger issue with the MCU. As in, we have no ideas so let's raid whatever banks of nostalgia we can to get butts in seats.

I'm sure Hugh Jackman likes money and I don't begrudge him getting a nice payday but I am a little disappointed. Logan was a great send off to the character and the actor in one. Except now it's not, this has made that film a little less special.

The issue is they can't do this indefinitely.

Or i guess they can do this until it's far enough that Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans coming back is a draw in of itself.

Edens Zero: spoilers:
    The revelaton about Conner was certainly shocking and I look forward to his conversation with Rebecca in near future. Meanwhile, the conversation between the Oracion Seis reveals much in regards to their lack of interpersonal relationship and group integrity. It's no wonder why Cure was able to conduct his plans without oversight. It also seems like Mashima is hinting that Cure isn't actually dead, but we'll see. We also have confirmation that Grandpa Ziggy was trying to break through from his other personality's control when he tried to convince Elsie to kill him. It was also ingenious of him to install Pino with a failsafe to restore him to normal, albeit temporarily. But I pity the position that Ziggy has put Shiki since we know that Shiki doesn't have the nerve to kill his grandfather now that he knows that he's technically innocent of his crimes.
    end of spoilers

Chainsaw man "YIKES." That's all that needs to be said about this chapter. O_o
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Gundam Evolution is pretty fun

Audibly booing.

Okay so obviously this video is a bit, but I think it also is illustrative of the larger issue with the MCU. As in, we have no ideas so let's raid whatever banks of nostalgia we can to get butts in seats.

I'm sure Hugh Jackman likes money and I don't begrudge him getting a nice payday but I am a little disappointed. Logan was a great send off to the character and the actor in one. Except now it's not, this has made that film a little less special.

The issue is they can't do this indefinitely.

Or i guess they can do this until it's far enough that Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans coming back is a draw in of itself.
    I think it's a safe bet to say that Reynolds has probably been campaigning for Jackman to play the role in one of his movies ever since the first one, maybe it just happened that everything aligned right this time(particularly since playing the role used to require a ton of time for Jackman to get into shape for it)

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

After ten thousand years of forgetting to do so, I have finally gotten around to playing Wild ARMs 5.

You know, it ain't half bad. Yeah, it ain't the best WA cast, and has some weird quirks to it, but overall I've enjoyed it. The cameos from previous WA characters was quite nice, especially getting a chance to vicariously save Raquel.

Man, other than a quick replay of 3 a few years ago, it's been over a decade since I played a Wild ARMs. Now I've played them all, though I still never beat XF. Always liked the series. Will definitely give Armed Fantasia a shot when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    After ten thousand years of forgetting to do so, I have finally gotten around to playing Wild ARMs 5.

You know, it ain't half bad. Yeah, it ain't the best WA cast, and has some weird quirks to it, but overall I've enjoyed it. The cameos from previous WA characters was quite nice, especially getting a chance to vicariously save Raquel.

Man, other than a quick replay of 3 a few years ago, it's been over a decade since I played a Wild ARMs. Now I've played them all, though I still never beat XF. Always liked the series. Will definitely give Armed Fantasia a shot when it comes out.
    According to the creators, we won't see either title until around mid-2025.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    According to the creators, we won't see either title until around mid-2025.
    Oh, good, that'll give me just enough time to grind through XF.

Well, it's looking increasingly that the UK might end up with it's third Prime Minister in a single calendar year.

Absolute scenes.
    Who could possibly have foreseen that Liz Truss was out of her (teaspoon-shallow) depth or that her economic policy was a piece of ill-conceived, paper-thin guesswork which a 7-year old might have come up with?

Oh, wait… we all did.