Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Oh, so this was some stupidity that actually had an impact before they canned it?

*facepalms*

So sorry, guys.

Edit: *reads story* Oh, gawd, it's worse. They're not even saying it was a bad idea, they're saying 'all the bad stuff that started was because of international reasons, not because tax cuts on rich people doesn't help at all'.

Jeez.
    Basically the proposed tax cuts, as they were completely uncosted, caused the markets to freak out; the pound crashed to an all time low, yields have gone way up, and there was a run on mortgages that could have caused mass insolvency on like 45% of mortgages in the country.

The bank of England had to intervene, which they did to the tune of £60 billion. The IMF also chewed out the government for being irresponsible.

I'd be very happy stress-testing it. I like that kind of thing. ^_^
    I don't have much of an idea for narrative yet, so it would be a mechanical thing but it's useful to put the system in the hands of actual players and see what they do with it.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Basically the proposed tax cuts, as they were completely uncosted, caused the markets to freak out; the pound crashed to an all time low, yields have gone way up, and there was a run on mortgages that could have caused mass insolvency on like 45% of mortgages in the country.

The bank of England had to intervene, which they did to the tune of £60 billion. The IMF also chewed out the government for being irresponsible.
    Yeah, that's...awful. Huge surprise.

I mean, every time people go for 'trickle down' economics it fails miserably, usually with corporations doing stuff like stock buy-backs or other forms of money hoarding, all to the point where umpteen economic papers have been written on the subject of 'why Reaganomics don't work'. But certain kinds of governments - huge surprise - just keep going for them.

I don't have much of an idea for narrative yet, so it would be a mechanical thing but it's useful to put the system in the hands of actual players and see what they do with it.
    I'm not big on playing a persona of myself, but I enjoy testing rules and trying to 'break' them, so I'm more than happy to give it a shot.

I would state at the outset that there isn't a single rule-system I've met - ever - that couldn't be broken/massively exploited when people are trying to do so (either during testing or by being powergamers in play). In the end it always comes down to 'will the GM establish control and just say "No"?'. Testing like this is more for 'is the system fundamentally broken in a way that's going to be problematic even WHEN people aren't trying to mess it up (ie D&D 3.5)?'
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I'm not big on playing a persona of myself, but I enjoy testing rules and trying to 'break' them, so I'm more than happy to give it a shot.
    I've also been thinking about this. I wouldn't want to play myself or a version of myself in an RPG, so it might be that I make this like a "from the world of Khazan," sort of thing and encourage people to make fresh characters rather than just be themselves. Takes some of the potential for rampant ego and resulting hurt feelings out of it.

As noted, I've put essentially zero thought into plot or setting beyond a few very broad concepts. It's all been system work at the moment.

I would state at the outset that there isn't a single rule-system I've met - ever - that couldn't be broken/massively exploited when people are trying to do so (either during testing or by being powergamers in play). In the end it always comes down to 'will the GM establish control and just say "No"?'. Testing like this is more for 'is the system fundamentally broken in a way that's going to be problematic even WHEN people aren't trying to mess it up (ie D&D 3.5)?'
    Were I to run a game, you would find that I am good at saying no to people haha.

Currently working on how debuff spells/techniques are supposed to work.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-03-2022 at 06:36 AM.

I've also been thinking about this. I wouldn't want to play myself or a version of myself in an RPG, so it might be that I make this like a "from the world of Khazan," sort of thing and encourage people to make fresh characters rather than just be themselves. Takes some of the potential for rampant ego and resulting hurt feelings out of it.

As noted, I've put essentially zero thought into plot or setting beyond a few very broad concepts. It's all been system work at the moment.
    I would consider such a game. I might be able to come up with something interesting for that, given that there would be rules&randomizer.

Were I to run a game, you would find that I am good at saying no to people haha.
    I have little doubt of this. ^_^

Currently working on how debuff spells/techniques are supposed to work.
    Good, because I might make a similar character to the one I did for that god game, oh-so-long ago.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I would consider such a game. I might be able to come up with something interesting for that, given that there would be rules&randomizer.
    To be clear, there is no randomiser, at least not in the players hands. I couldn't be bothered to find a unified dice roller thing but I think the system is complex enough that it will reward creativity and also bite players in unexpected ways.

Good, because I might make a similar character to the one I did for that god game, oh-so-long ago.
    Noted.

To be clear, there is no randomiser, at least not in the players hands. I couldn't be bothered to find a unified dice roller thing but I think the system is complex enough that it will reward creativity and also bite players in unexpected ways.
    So then, question - you say 'not in the players' hands'. Does that mean there WILL be a randomizer? Or is this diceless?
    Why are we here?

So then, question - you say 'not in the players' hands'. Does that mean there WILL be a randomizer? Or is this diceless?
    System is obviously still work in progress but at the moment I'm looking at a diceless approach.

I will be using dice to roll up NPC/mobs, albeit within certain parameters. Obviously, PCs will not know the stats for the enemies, beyond what they can glean from interactions, setting and flavour text. But NPCs will have stats, unlike other games I've run and been involved with here. So there are elements that are obfuscated or somewhat random.

NPCs will work properly within the system and will have access to some (and in cases of bosses, all) of the interesting gimmick stuff that PCs do.

I'm also trying to cultivate a system that allows for synergy. Like, buffs, debuffs, actual team-up attacks and the like. I want it to be pretty flexible in what players can do.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-03-2022 at 07:26 AM.

Thank you!
    Why are we here?

Thank you!
    No worries, very happy to answer questions and talking about it does make me think. At the very least I am having fun messing with the system.

Maybe it'll be a thing I run. Since discussing it a bit, I've had a few ideas of how the game would be structured. Would require a fair amount of set up as some of the content will be player generated but it could be fun to work with.

Might be a taller ask of engagement for players maybe... but it's cooking in my brain atm.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    I very much doubt it, but I wonder if they'd adapt the Lost Children - Rosine and the Land of the Elves - Arc as a miniseries or something.
    The only compromise there would be to make it into an OVA or movie if it's following the continuity of the 2016 anime. Otherwise, I would just assume that we'll only see it properly via reboot.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

No worries, very happy to answer questions and talking about it does make me think. At the very least I am having fun messing with the system.

Maybe it'll be a thing I run. Since discussing it a bit, I've had a few ideas of how the game would be structured. Would require a fair amount of set up as some of the content will be player generated but it could be fun to work with.

Might be a taller ask of engagement for players maybe... but it's cooking in my brain atm.
    I hope you get a lot of players. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Japan will be opening up to independent travellers.

asdfjkl;!!!

Will finally get to go again next year; my sadly non-immersive language training will finally prove itself!
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpandpointies View Post
    japan will be opening up to independent travellers.

Asdfjkl;!!!

Will finally get to go again next year; my sadly non-immersive language training will finally prove itself!
    fantastic news.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    fantastic news.
    Yeah. Was worried they'd just keep things 'Tours only' like...for years and years.

Hopefully they'll stick with opening up.
    Why are we here?