Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch
    You really are a heel
    You're as cuddly as a cactus
    And as charming as an eel, Mr. Grinch
    You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel

So yeah there's a Grinch Horror Move in the works.
    SYNOPSIS: As reported by Bloody Disgusting, The Mean One will retain some of the classic story How The Grinch Stole Christmas, but will both parody it and twist it into a horror slasher movie, which stars Terrifier’s David Howard Thornton in the titular role. According to the blurb, “The Mean One (David Howard Thornton) is a hairy, green-skinned grump in a Santa suit, living on a mountain high above the town of Newville, despising the holiday season. Young Cindy You-Know-Who (Krystle Martin), whose parents were butchered by The Mean One twenty Christmases earlier, is returning to town to seek closure… but is about to discover that this fiend with a heart two sizes to small is still quite eager to carve the roast beast.”
    https://movieweb.com/the-grinch-turn...-the-mean-one/

Blood and Honey opened the floodgates man!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Rings of Power continues to make me sad. That is all.
    It's kind of hilarious how they just hand waive Celeborn out of the entire plot with a single sentence

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Rings of Power continues to make me sad. That is all.
    Do you giggle when the Eldar relentlessly break accent into this ridiculous over-pronunciation every single time they say a name ('Morgoth' sounds like they're hacking up a hairball - which I suppose isn't un-apt, but is still ridiculous - and 'Galadriel' inexplicably gets two or three more syllables thanks to all of the rolls of the tongue)?

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Apologies for the tasteless joke. But in all seriousness, I dropped the series as a lost cause by the third episode when I saw what they did to Galadriel's character. To say nothing of the incredibly forced and awkward 'dialogue' aka exposition dumps and the contradictions in lore that even goes against what the Peter Jackson movies maintained is excruciating. It's getting the CW treatment, but with a loftier budget.
    My wife and I made it through the first episode. SHE was the one who decided the show was an utter trash-fire she couldn't continue to watch, and that's not based on lore; she loved the LotR Jackson movies (not Hobbit ones) and just felt the whole TV show was a mess.

I am reminded of times on Rumbles when people have reacted to me stating how much I dislike most of Jackson's stuff by saying 'But it could have been worse'. This is not a good excuse for Jackson's stuff that magically makes it into something I would enjoy, mind (I get served tripe at a restaurant, sure it could be worse, but it's still tripe); but they were correct. This, this is worse. A LOT worse.

I saw a review the other day that basically made the point 'Yay, Episode Six of Rings of Power FINALLY delivers and it was great!' I don't know how good Episode Six really was, will never know, but any show that requires six episodes before it starts actually satisfying people has utterly failed from a writing standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It's kind of hilarious how they just hand waive Celeborn out of the entire plot with a single sentence
    wat

Okay, this I gotta hear. What's up with Celeborn (other than getting shuffled out of the way so Galadriel can have some kind of fling with the character who is 'Sauron in Disguise' most likely, dum dum dum DRAMA, which...once again, would totally miss the point re: Eldar, but would be par for the course with this series)?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Galadriel was asked if she lost anyone close to her.

She replied her brother and her husband.

The person was surprised she was married, and she explained the last time she saw him she was correcting him on how to wear his armor IIRC.

She did not, technically, say he was dead if I recall the dialogue correctly.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Relevant link to the scene

https://youtu.be/VucA08EyrLg

It’s less than two minutes long.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Galadriel was asked if she lost anyone close to her.

She replied her brother and her husband.

The person was surprised she was married, and she explained the last time she saw him she was correcting him on how to wear his armor IIRC.

She did not, technically, say he was dead if I recall the dialogue correctly.
    Blargh.

So disappointing.

Edit: *watches scene* Blaaaargh. Even worse. 'We have room to make up what we want because Tolkien didn't detail a lot in the Second Age' yeah, but Tolkien has some pretty firm details about Celeborn and Galadriel!

Ugh.

*throws more stones*
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-10-2022 at 08:08 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Blargh.

So disappointing.

Edit: *watches scene* Blaaaargh. Even worse. 'We have room to make up what we want because Tolkien didn't detail a lot in the Second Age' yeah, but Tolkien has some pretty firm details about Celeborn and Galadriel!

Ugh.

*throws more stones*
    Not going to lie, my brother and I were both kind of throwing stones this episode. Not one of the better ones (weird editing too).

Mind you, the Durin/Disa and Elrond stuff is pretty good (acting and scene wise, getting away from the Mithril stuff) but someone made some odd edits and her conversation with Theo about not giving in to anger is….kind of undeserved since the episode previous she was giving in to her anger.

Show is sitting at a 6/10 for me so far. Scenery, music, costuming all good. Many of the actors are doing a good job too. But man, this plot………I think I could have come up with a better story, and I am most certainly not a writer or Tolkien historian (extreme amateur at best).
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Not going to lie, my brother and I were both kind of throwing stones this episode. Not one of the better ones (weird editing too).
    That's not so great, given everyone was crowing about how episode 6 delivered.

Show is sitting at a 6/10 for me so far. Scenery, music, costuming all good. Many of the actors are doing a good job too. But man, this plot………I think I could have come up with a better story, and I am most certainly not a writer or Tolkien historian (extreme amateur at best).
    In episode one, I found the costuming pretty bad and blah for a 250 million dollar epic, but maybe that's just me. I reiterate that Cosplayers are doing a far better job with their Elves while playfully deciding to dress them up in homages to Chinese Hanfu than Amazon is with their huge-budget 'professional' TV show.

6/10 for 250 million dollar per episode show is not great.

I mean, this gets worse. According to this scene, Celeborn obviously disappeared/died in the war in the First Age ('the war'). And I'm betting there has been no mention of Celebrian yet. You know, Galadriel's daughter. With Celeborn. Who was born in the Second Age (early, VERY early in the 2nd age).

Who meets Elrond who falls in love with her (and eventually marries her, but that's later).

We're waaaaay outside of 'there's stuff in here they've clearly made up, but really wasn't detailed on Tolkien's writing at all, so they have room to create'. We're outside of 'there's stuff in Tolkien's writing that wasn't detailed WELL, so they still have some wiggle room for details'.

We're into 'they're just writing their own stuff and not caring if it's completely contradictory to the lore', but then they've been doing that from the first episode, so...whatever. 'Amazon's Lord of the Rings Fanfiction starring GINO'.
    Why are we here?

I see you've stumbled upon Galadriel, the Wrong; and the Tragedy of Celegone.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Also, while I find sue to be a problem term for a variety of reasons, there is something to be said about how they took what could've been a compelling female character (better than the boys, athletically; but also so arrogant she starts a rebellion and gets exiled to middle-earth and tries to build her own empire) and...

Turned her into a tired, generic stereotype.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Undead Unluck:

spoilers:
    I wanted some specifically cool Unjustice stuff. I am not happy.

This final arc is going for it though.
    end of spoilers

Also, while I find sue to be a problem term for a variety of reasons, there is something to be said about how they took what could've been a compelling female character (better than the boys, athletically; but also so arrogant she starts a rebellion and gets exiled to middle-earth and tries to build her own empire) and...

And then there's the writers' attempts to humanize the Orcs and make them sympathetic, which is like something out of a bloody fanfiction.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Not fond of that term myself, any more. But as for what they did with Galadriel, yeah. Nailed it.

Siriel made a post a while back that hit the nail on the head, I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Sadly being in it for social status would be an actual character flaw, and big productions are allergic to flawed protagonists unless that flaw is:
    A) Being hesitant for five minutes.
    B) Being overly snarky or making a crass joke or two.
    C) Maybe being dirty. ('Dirty' being cleaner than most people after a walk in the woods.)

Any other seeming character flaw must be revealed to be a virtue later on, like Show-Galadriel's obsession with searching for Sauron is going to be.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    And then there's the writers' attempts to humanize the Orcs and make them sympathetic, which is like something out of a bloody fanfiction.
    There's a couple reasons they could be trying to do this.

None of them are good. One is far more problematic than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Not fond of that term myself, any more. But as for what they did with Galadriel, yeah. Nailed it.

Siriel made a post a while back that hit the nail on the head, I feel.
    Siriel do be nailing it tho.

Showrunners be out here making Putonium Galadriel look better. How you screw up that bad, mm?

Arx Inosaan

Will go clean the bad taste out of my mouth.

*plays MEMP with wife*
    Why are we here?