Wish me luck Mr. Pointies.

Big interview today... If all goes well, the dream of getting you a bottle of Don '70 will move from impossible to, highly probable.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post

Big interview today... If all goes well, the dream of getting you a bottle of Don '70 will move from impossible to, highly probable.
    wat

Well, you would have had my best wishes in any case! Without reservation!

I hope the interview works out for you! ^_^ *crosses fingers*

The Dom 70 is just an added bonus, if it occurs. If not, still a win if you get this!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Good luck Squid Face!

As an aside, 1970 Dom would be undrinkable now. Champagne doesn't age that well. Better to get a bottle of modern vintage and find someone willing to part with an empty bottle from 1970. Protip.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    As an aside, 1970 Dom would be undrinkable now. Champagne doesn't age that well. Better to get a bottle of modern vintage and find someone willing to part with an empty bottle from 1970. Protip.
    Not sure if serious, but we're talking about tequila, not champagne. ^_^ 'Don' isn't a misspelling.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    wat

Well, you would have had my best wishes in any case! Without reservation!

I hope the interview works out for you! ^_^ *crosses fingers*

The Dom 70 is just an added bonus, if it occurs. If not, still a win if you get this!
    Be much easier to get you a bottle when I'm responsible for selling the portfolio in. Especially since, IIRC the company I'd work for operates in Canada.
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 11-17-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Be much easier to get you a bottle when I'm responsible for selling the portfolio in. Especially since, IIRC the company I'd work for operates in Canada.
    Being in science, I have only the vaguest idea what you mean - congrats, you can baffle me with technical jargon.

However, being a technologist I know to trust people who are operating in their area of expertise, so...good stuff! ^_^

Thank you for thinking of me.
    Why are we here?

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Big interview today...
    Good luck, man!

Being in science, I have only the vaguest idea what you mean - congrats, you can baffle me with technical jargon.

However, being a technologist I know to trust people who are operating in their area of expertise, so...good stuff! ^_^

Thank you for thinking of me.
    Honestly not all that technical. Basically a glorified sales person; my products would just be household names when it comes to liquor... If it comes to mind, it's probably "mine" responsible for bringing it in, to specific stores in my network.

But... I'd also have the ability to move around the pacific northwest (and Hawaii) for work.

Of course, that's getting ahead of myself. Interview went well, but there's obviously no way of knowing til I know. So we'll see.

Worst case, I gotta smuggle the '70

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Good luck, man!
    Thanks! Considering how much I'll save on liquor, I'm hoping I get good news!

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Not sure if serious, but we're talking about tequila, not champagne. ^_^ 'Don' isn't a misspelling.
    I simply misread that. Ooops.

Well, then, even better, because that would be exquisite!
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Reminds me of an old idea for a zombie apocalypse I had wherein the zombie virus spread through the air, and everybody got zombied, but they actually keep their intelligence. Now you have a bunch of ageless corpses walking around, technically now liberated from needing the vast amount of resources (no food, air, water, or rest is needed anymore, people don't really feel pain or temperature like they used to). Sounds not the worst on paper (bearing in mind other complications like no more reproduction or direct aging).

The "apocalypse" part comes from the fact that their bodies, while not undergoing decay due to micro-organisms rejecting the virus-tainted cells, are subject to the same wear-and-tear damage over time that now never heals. Humanity is now literally falling apart, and it's up to the worlds engineers and scientists to find way to keep their bodies protected and functioning. Even just daily activity will eventually break down joints, so people start having basic surgeries where they implant small pully and cable and support rod systems into the body. They're working overtime to figure out how to create fully realized cyborg bodies to implant their brains into (now much more viable an option, since the brains seem by far the most resilient to break down with how to virus creates it's own unique neural networks).

I never ended up writing it, because I wasn't really sure how to present it. I imagine it would be a mostly a Twilight Zone-esque, slow-burn, kinda depressing fight-against-time drama that I wasn't even sure how it would end other than a vague "we're making strides, at least, but we're not there yet, boy I really hope we figure the robot suit thing out in the next decade".

Ah, old ideas. Nostalgic!
    Kind of curious about the rest of the world. If they no longer eat or drink then that changes politics worldwide as nations no longer compete or trade for these resources. Economies topple as several industries collapse, from farms, grocery stores, transport of food (truckers), kitchen appliances manufacturers. A lot of zombified people are out of work, but even without the need for food and heating and cooling they'll still want niceties like tv and internet, which still costs money. Civil unrest between the haves and have nots would probably spark in short order. Never mind those who still have jobs will clash with their employers, as the managers and board of directors see no reason not to double the work day since sleep is out of the equation bringing worker rights back the great depression of nastiness.

The first few years would see all manner of chaos and conflict long before the issue of wearing down becomes a priority to solve.

Ugh. I'm sorry. It's hard for me to imagine, but I can try, and at least I can imagine that it must be extremely unpleasant and soul-crushing when it occurs.
    Used to be it was hard for me to imagine too, but life's weird like that. You start to do some self reflection on things that you thought you understood the cause of, like dismissing scowling at your reflection and poor self image issue as part of a lack of confidence and self esteem, or finally begin to think about all the thoughts where you've gone "that's weird...I probably shouldn't poke into that more closely", and puzzle pieces that you didn't know were missing all of a sudden fall into place and a lot of what didn't make sense before suddenly makes sense. And then the self loathing becomes stronger because you did it to yourself.

Luckily we live in an age of constant and easy distractions, so I can limit the quiet and self reflective moments down a lot.

A good idea - I like it, myself.
    Problem was I could never think up a plot to go with the idea. Mostly I just had a picture in my head of some people trapped in a nice house in the country (basic Night of the Living Dead setup but a more modern high end house, lots of windows which becomes dangerous), with one of the people being a scientist or professor type and he or she does a sort of "autopsy" on the still struggling zombie the group manages to subdue, having to use kitchen knives and a science kit microscope they keep in the trunk of their car to make the dissection and examination to discover the nanobots.

Unlike the Night of the Living Dead I wanted the group to actually be friends who know each other and work together. Partly because I hate it in zombie movies where there's a mean jerk and disagreements when everyone should be on board with helping each other survive, and partly because it heightens the terror if everyone is actually likeable and nice.

But like I said, the plot details of the rest of it eluded me.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I simply misread that. Ooops.

Well, then, even better, because that would be exquisite!
    Gotta tone back the drinkin' chief. That's my job D:

Arx Inosaan

Good luck to Vakanai and the dweller in R'lyeh.

In less good luck, it appears that Mr Musk may eventually be missing about

*searches the news*

75% of his remaining workforce soon.

That's not even flying half a ship. Mildly bad for a company probably.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Good luck to Vakanai and the dweller in R'lyeh.

In less good luck, it appears that Mr Musk may eventually be missing about

*searches the news*

75% of his remaining workforce soon.

That's not even flying half a ship. Mildly bad for a company probably.
    The man already sounded the alarm over probable bankruptcy occurring next year after two weeks into the job, so it's not surprising.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Honestly not all that technical. Basically a glorified sales person; my products would just be household names when it comes to liquor... If it comes to mind, it's probably "mine" responsible for bringing it in, to specific stores in my network.

But... I'd also have the ability to move around the pacific northwest (and Hawaii) for work.

Of course, that's getting ahead of myself. Interview went well, but there's obviously no way of knowing til I know. So we'll see.

Worst case, I gotta smuggle the '70
    Okay, that makes sense. And good luck! For you! Sounds like a pretty awesome job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Used to be it was hard for me to imagine too, but life's weird like that. You start to do some self reflection on things that you thought you understood the cause of, like dismissing scowling at your reflection and poor self image issue as part of a lack of confidence and self esteem, or finally begin to think about all the thoughts where you've gone "that's weird...I probably shouldn't poke into that more closely", and puzzle pieces that you didn't know were missing all of a sudden fall into place and a lot of what didn't make sense before suddenly makes sense. And then the self loathing becomes stronger because you did it to yourself.

Luckily we live in an age of constant and easy distractions, so I can limit the quiet and self reflective moments down a lot.
    It's sounds...very difficult to deal with. Even if it helps to make some sense in life.

I mean, is it good or bad that it has clicked? Maybe good, though if that's good, from the sound of things 'good' isn't all that great. Just...illuminating.

Problem was I could never think up a plot to go with the idea. Mostly I just had a picture in my head of some people trapped in a nice house in the country (basic Night of the Living Dead setup but a more modern high end house, lots of windows which becomes dangerous), with one of the people being a scientist or professor type and he or she does a sort of "autopsy" on the still struggling zombie the group manages to subdue, having to use kitchen knives and a science kit microscope they keep in the trunk of their car to make the dissection and examination to discover the nanobots.

Unlike the Night of the Living Dead I wanted the group to actually be friends who know each other and work together. Partly because I hate it in zombie movies where there's a mean jerk and disagreements when everyone should be on board with helping each other survive, and partly because it heightens the terror if everyone is actually likeable and nice.

But like I said, the plot details of the rest of it eluded me.
    Makes for an interesting reveal scene, and I do like it when the usual BS tropes are averted. Probably one reason I like non-Hollywood movies (ie, from other countries). I'm 100% certain they have their own cultural tropes, but many of them are different from ours so it makes for a fresh perspective.

I DO like the sounds of this as a basis for a setting or movie.

Reminds me somewhat of the Husks from Mass Effect, except those were much more overtly 'converted'.
    Why are we here?