Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Good luck to Vakanai and the dweller in R'lyeh.

In less good luck, it appears that Mr Musk may eventually be missing about

*searches the news*

75% of his remaining workforce soon.

That's not even flying half a ship. Mildly bad for a company probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    The man already sounded the alarm over probable bankruptcy occurring next year after two weeks into the job, so it's not surprising.
    He's a genius inventor tho.

Why you talk bad about your TechnoJesus™
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Given he's trying to go bankrupt, most likely, because he never wanted twitter in the first place and it was likely that or potential jail time...
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Given he's trying to go bankrupt, most likely, because he never wanted twitter in the first place and it was likely that or potential jail time...
    He's likely going to do that, yes.

There's a way he can structure it so that he's the top creditor, allowing him to recoup some of the losses.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Good luck to Vakanai and the dweller in R'lyeh.
    Thanks Post, but I'll be fine.
    How are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's sounds...very difficult to deal with. Even if it helps to make some sense in life.

I mean, is it good or bad that it has clicked? Maybe good, though if that's good, from the sound of things 'good' isn't all that great. Just...illuminating.
    It's not the first upsetting thing to spiral me into depression and it won't be the last.
    It's just got the distinction of being the newest and rawest hurt is all. But I still count my blessings and got family worth living for, so life's still fairly good and blessed in the long run.

Makes for an interesting reveal scene, and I do like it when the usual BS tropes are averted. Probably one reason I like non-Hollywood movies (ie, from other countries). I'm 100% certain they have their own cultural tropes, but many of them are different from ours so it makes for a fresh perspective.

I DO like the sounds of this as a basis for a setting or movie.

Reminds me somewhat of the Husks from Mass Effect, except those were much more overtly 'converted'.
    I like foreign films too, though I'm still a genre fan through and through. Action, horror, fantasy, sci-fi. Plus these days foreign studios have enough cash to make it look good, but not enough to go full own MCU with the CGI everywhere. I like the more grounded stories usually - not grounded like realism, but grounded like more small scale and personal. Like instead of Superman fighting Darkseid on Apokolips I prefer like Superman Smashes the Klan, and you get that kind of scale more outside of Hollywood than in (ok so comics examples not movies but you get the idea).

I kind of like the Tremors route, in the first movie. You never know where the graboids came from in the first film, and I think never knowing where the nanobots making the zombies come from would be the best decision.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

FYI I closed out my Twitter Account. If Twitter survives Musk's attempt to destroy it I might eventually go back, maybe. Anyone using Twitter should consider requesting a backup of their account, assuming that it is still possible to do so. I made mine as soon n as Musk took over.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    FYI I closed out my Twitter Account. If Twitter survives Musk's attempt to destroy it I might eventually go back, maybe. Anyone using Twitter should consider requesting a backup of their account, assuming that it is still possible to do so. I made mine as soon n as Musk took over.
    I mean I'm still hanging out there. Collecting a bunch of Tumblr @s and waiting to see if it falls over.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Kind of curious about the rest of the world. If they no longer eat or drink then that changes politics worldwide as nations no longer compete or trade for these resources. Economies topple as several industries collapse, from farms, grocery stores, transport of food (truckers), kitchen appliances manufacturers. A lot of zombified people are out of work, but even without the need for food and heating and cooling they'll still want niceties like tv and internet, which still costs money. Civil unrest between the haves and have nots would probably spark in short order. Never mind those who still have jobs will clash with their employers, as the managers and board of directors see no reason not to double the work day since sleep is out of the equation bringing worker rights back the great depression of nastiness.
    Yeah, this was the other stuff I was trying to wrangle how to present before I gave up on it.

To a degree, the loss of many basic needs would be remarkably freeing, and if you don't need to pay for most bills, there goes the need for most of where people's money goes these days. However, the single most important need of zombified humanity (beyond getting their bodies reinforced) would be shelter; damage from the elements and violence becomes the foremost concern. Ergo, land and property/infrastructure become the biggest things people would battle over. On the plus side, people could now live in areas previously too hostile to do so. Untethered from needing water, expansion into the deserts and deep wilderness might be viable. Arctic conditions are still a worry, though, as the body can still freeze over.

The problem of people literally breaking apart from wear and tear does mean corporate overlords will quickly find attempting to work their workers twenty-four/seven is going to quickly result in violent revolt as they will literally rip through factory workers in a matter of a few months, and no matter how destitute a person gets, I don't think everyone is going to be willing to throw themselves into a literal meat grinder just to afford a nice television. A place to bunker down during a tornado or sandstorm? Absolutely, and if anything, slumlords are going to be the real opportunists, probably, as well as some grifters who try to hold the medical industry for ransom, and attempts to control resource flow by making sure people's mechanical reinforcement is made with planned obsolescence.

I do think the sheer need for survival will push people to cooperate in the short term to getting a good chunk of the population stabilized, but you're right, after that, it could be a brutal time of realigning priorities, and power hungry people trying to find ways to leverage the few things people still actually need to secure their positions. Then, once the needs are largely taken care of, that's when materialism swings back into focus.

I dunno, its one of several spec fic stories I still have on the backburner I may or may not get around to.

Used to be it was hard for me to imagine too, but life's weird like that. You start to do some self reflection on things that you thought you understood the cause of, like dismissing scowling at your reflection and poor self image issue as part of a lack of confidence and self esteem, or finally begin to think about all the thoughts where you've gone "that's weird...I probably shouldn't poke into that more closely", and puzzle pieces that you didn't know were missing all of a sudden fall into place and a lot of what didn't make sense before suddenly makes sense. And then the self loathing becomes stronger because you did it to yourself.

Luckily we live in an age of constant and easy distractions, so I can limit the quiet and self reflective moments down a lot.
    I've had to come to a lot of self-flagellating realizations myself over the years. It can be a rough time.

Problem was I could never think up a plot to go with the idea.
    But like I said, the plot details of the rest of it eluded me.
    I get this problem a lot, myself. :V

Makes me think back on how many of the old, classic sci-fi books these days read like, "So here's this really cool idea for a setting I had", and the whole "story" is a bunch of cardboard cut-out scientist archetypes wandering around, commenting on what they see. Rough reads, but fascinating ideas. I feel like that style of story just doesn't have the audience it used to, though, as most fictions really focus heavily on drama or comedy, so you really need that over just having a neat idea. I think that sort of "idea story" writing has mostly migrated its way into TTRPG books.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

As to Twitter, I thought nothing would really change when this whole sale went through, but now I kinda think Twitter might actually die out of just how poorly Moosk is handling this.

The only thing that would make it worth saving to people is how already entrenched it is as a platform for celebs, politicians, businesses, and online journalism, but it's not like it'd be impossible for people to shift over. But then again, it might actually take Twitter being fully shut off for a couple months to motivate people to actually make the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    As to Twitter, I thought nothing would really change when this whole sale went through, but now I kinda think Twitter might actually die out of just how poorly Moosk is handling this.

The only thing that would make it worth saving to people is how already entrenched it is as a platform for celebs, politicians, businesses, and online journalism, but it's not like it'd be impossible for people to shift over. But then again, it might actually take Twitter being fully shut off for a couple months to motivate people to actually make the switch.
    I figure once it starts getting breached, and location data gets leaked (causing predictable results) among other things, there might be a heavier move away from the site. At the same time however, I feel like the net gain of a free "public square" will outweigh the fear of it tanking. That said, a lot of people, and companies are focusing on posting more on sites like Instagram and Facebook, so at the very least they're mindful of the potential for it completely collapsing.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I mean I'm still hanging out there. Collecting a bunch of Tumblr @s and waiting to see if it falls over.
    I thought about it, but I figure if Twitter doesn't go under and things somehow improve, I can always create a new account. I enjoyed Twitter a lot, but every news report I am reading and hearing about says that Musk is destroying it. Either though incompetence, or for other reasons. Heck, I could have run Twitter better than what hes' doing. There are hundreds of people who could have done a better job.

Anyway, I'm going to wait it out inn the sidelines and see what happens. Best to be prepared for the worst.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I’m just sitting back watching the Twitter world burn, completely unaffected.

I’ll be equally ambivalent if Meta (exc. WhatsApp), Snapchat and TikTok all implode.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I’m just sitting back watching the Twitter world burn, completely unaffected.

I’ll be equally ambivalent if Meta (exc. WhatsApp), Snapchat and TikTok all implode.
    What about Tumblr and Reddit?
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Well, Tumblr’s mostly irrelevant and Reddit’s been a dumpster fire since forever.
    Chief Curmudgeon

It should say something about how things have devolved that Reddit is generally considered among the best platforms with regards to experience/dodging toxicity in terms of the social media landscape today
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie