My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So she can kill people with her brain now?

Metahuman Cass Confirmed!
    ... was she not already confirmed to be metahuman??

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    ... was she not already confirmed to be metahuman??
    'Ringer' technically. She can do superhuman stuff but she doesn't have a Meta-Gene or Official Superpowers, so she's on the edge.

Then again, people say Batman is human and he survived re-entry.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Extraordinary Member

'Ringer' technically. She can do superhuman stuff but she doesn't have a Meta-Gene or Official Superpowers, so she's on the edge.

Survived re-entry with what is functionally a parachute

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Anime waifu-bait is what all the kids are into these days, so I'm guessing that went that route just to be more marketable. Shame.
    I'm sure that's a chunk of the reason, yeah.

So she can kill people with her brain now?

Metahuman Cass Confirmed!
    River's vast telepathic powers have been over-rated over the years, with people ascribing stuff to them from the show that isn't actually held up by what is demonstrated in the show.

But that's another of my peeves. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Something that bugs me in fiction (in general, this isn't a 'manga-only' thing).

Some big evil guy with aspirations to power/ruling/whatever fights against a truly fantastic protagonist/important secondary character and gets their rear handed to them. But at some point in the fight, they poison/curse/whatever the person they're fighting with something horribly incurable that will eventually kill that character.

[Aside: this sounds complicated, and I don't know specific examples off-hand, but suffice to say I know I've read this in comics, manga, books, seen it on TV and movies, etc]

The villain then gives a final speech as they kick off that amounts to 'Haha, you believe you've won, but the poison/curse/whatever will kill you, there is no cure, my plans have succeed, I am the winner here.'

And...like, no.

No, dude. Unless your plans were 'Despite my grand aspirations, my goal is to have a mutual death-battle with this one character', you did not win. You died. You failed. Sure, the other character will (may?) also perish at some point, but if your big idea wasn't 'Also ends with my death', sorry, this is just your desperate ego talking out of your butt.

As villain death speeches go, it completely lacks gravitas and comes off sounding whiny. ^_^ I'd honestly rather hear 'But all of my plans, my goals, my aspirations...this cannot be! I may die, but I won't die alone!' or something like that.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Some of the ones using that trope I can think of WERE planning on dying in their quest, usually because the curse they hit the Hero with was something that was supposed to end life on the world, but just because they died doesn't mean their plans won't still succeed without them. It just requires having plans that go beyond one's own personal life. And the support to pull it off even after you die.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Has any writer in Marvel covering Bullseye finally bit the bullet and retcon his throwing abilities as some sort of mutation? Or is he still killing dudes with objects for the reason of "he throws hard?"

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Some of the ones using that trope I can think of WERE planning on dying in their quest, usually because the curse they hit the Hero with was something that was supposed to end life on the world, but just because they died doesn't mean their plans won't still succeed without them. It just requires having plans that go beyond one's own personal life. And the support to pull it off even after you die.
    Sometimes that happens, sure. And it makes perfect sense at that point.

But often I've seen presented as 'I have big plans to become something (like King of the World or whatever), and you're killing me, but haha, I killed you as well, so I win!'
    Why are we here?

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    River's vast telepathic powers have been over-rated over the years, with people ascribing stuff to them from the show that isn't actually held up by what is demonstrated in the show.

But that's another of my peeves. ^_^
    I know there were some comics. Maybe she got better showings there?

Something that bugs me in fiction (in general, this isn't a 'manga-only' thing).

Some big evil guy with aspirations to power/ruling/whatever fights against a truly fantastic protagonist/important secondary character and gets their rear handed to them. But at some point in the fight, they poison/curse/whatever the person they're fighting with something horribly incurable that will eventually kill that character.

[Aside: this sounds complicated, and I don't know specific examples off-hand, but suffice to say I know I've read this in comics, manga, books, seen it on TV and movies, etc]

The villain then gives a final speech as they kick off that amounts to 'Haha, you believe you've won, but the poison/curse/whatever will kill you, there is no cure, my plans have succeed, I am the winner here.'

And...like, no.

No, dude. Unless your plans were 'Despite my grand aspirations, my goal is to have a mutual death-battle with this one character', you did not win. You died. You failed. Sure, the other character will (may?) also perish at some point, but if your big idea wasn't 'Also ends with my death', sorry, this is just your desperate ego talking out of your butt.

As villain death speeches go, it completely lacks gravitas and comes off sounding whiny. ^_^ I'd honestly rather hear 'But all of my plans, my goals, my aspirations...this cannot be! I may die, but I won't die alone!' or something like that.
    "You believe that it is I who have been owned, but in fact, it is YOU who has been owned!"

"I mean, I have a whole team of super powered friends and tons of medical resources, I'm sure we can figure something out."

"Nuh-uh! Sh-shut up! No you won't!" ;_; ... x_x
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 02-16-2023 at 11:13 AM.

I know there were some comics. Maybe she got better showings there?
    Maybe?

I didn't like Firefly, but I DID watch it, and basically in the series the things people pointed at as evidence of psychic powers...weren't. In the movie, she gets some vague precog at one point, but that's about it.

"You believe that it is I who have been owned, but in fact, it is YOU who has been owned!"

"I mean, I have a whole team of super powered friends and tons of medical resources, I'm sure we can figure something out."

"Nuh-uh! Sh-shut up! No you won't!" ;_; ... x_x
    Pretty much nailed it, yeah. ^_^
    Why are we here?

The thing with poison storylines is I've never really seen them work in actually killing heroes.

Apparently there's some Silat in there, as well as FMA, so I'm not surprised at the 'swaying stance'. ^_^
    It was definitely distinctive to watch. I don't think I'd seen anything in quite that type of style before on screen at least

Last edited by Postmania; 02-16-2023 at 11:35 AM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie