• Harpy Gee
    • How to be a Werewolf
    • Phantomarine
    • Questionable Content
    • Sleepless Domain
    • Wychwood
    • xkcd
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I've only ever really followed Eight Bit Theater. That was a fun time though
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Webcomics are easier for me to read when I'm short on time. I really enjoy the ones that are on my list for the stories and the art, with the exception of xkcd which I just find funny and interesting.

There were others, but most suddenly stopped or ended early. It can't be easy to make a serial webcomic.
    Last edited by Tami; 03-01-2023 at 09:57 PM.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

The Bad Batch: spoilers:
    Remember that episode of The Clone War where Godzilla went after Palpatine's ass? The Bad Batch remembers
    end of spoilers

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Sweeeeeet!
    Yeah, pretty stoked.

H&L: The Worst isn't the same as the first series, which I prefer, but I still enjoy it a ton. So I'm looking forward to the insanity.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Attachment 129877

House within a house
    Goddamn it, how did they find me? I was perfectly disguised!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Webcomics are easier for me to read when I'm short on time. I really enjoy the ones that are on my list for the stories and the art, with the exception of xkcd which I just find funny and interesting.

There were others, but most suddenly stopped or ended early. It can't be easy to make a serial webcomic.
    My problem is when I finally check out a web comic, it's always one of the really long ones, and I either catch up, or get to a stopping point, then put it down, and months later, I have to find where I left off again.

Web comics I've enjoyed relatively recently:

MegaTokyo (caught up after a twenty year abcense, interesting to see the direction it took, but pretty slow in places; also read the Endgames novels, and webtoon side-story)

Sleepless Domain (recommend this one, cool Magical Girl story)

Slightly Damned (i'm actually still stuck way early in it, I've heard it gets draggy)

Homestuck (Acts 1-4 are great, Act 5 I didn't like but is still story relevant, Act 6 is a trashfire, the Epilogues are a slog, the dubious sequel is needless but more entertaining than the Epilogues)

Works of Jennifer Diane Reitz (Unicorn Jelly, etc. These are not "good" comics, art is pretty terrible, writing is lame, but there is a lot of fascinating worldbuilding and ideas)

Abian World (it's a short story about morality with religious overtones, but I liked the art)

Keychain of Creation (based in the RPG world of Exalted, funny with some heart, clever use of stickman-style art with some extra effort put in)
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 03-02-2023 at 07:17 PM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    MegaTokyo (caught up after a twenty year abcense, interesting to see the direction it took, but pretty slow in places; also read the Endgames novels, and webtoon side-story)
    Hm, completely forgot about this one. Used to read it a looooong time ago, but pretty much gave up.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Just to flag it to the mods, Ruins of Khazan will not be having an further additional threads made. We have the game thread, the sign-up for character customisation/OOC chat and the combat notation thread to help me keep track of interactions.

The third thread will only see activity when combat is happening and I'm being very strict about the content that goes into it so I hope this doesn't feel like an imposition.

We will have a subsequent game thread once Part 1 is done with but that will be a hand off not a parallel thread.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 03-02-2023 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Hm, completely forgot about this one. Used to read it a looooong time ago, but pretty much gave up.
    I read it mostly in 2001, right when it was really getting big. Then I fell off and just sort of forgot about it. Finally got back to it in 2020, so I didn't suffer the long wait periods.

The comic is crawling along at a few pages a year at this point, but that's because Fred, the guy making it, has gone through one crisis after another, and is presently working like 50 hours a week at his day job, so he only gets brief periods to do anything on the comic. Guys' had it rough. He does stream his art on Twitch occasionally, though.

The pacing does drag a lot, I will say, and the story itself feels like it's meandering on it's focus, but there's some interesting ideas about different levels of reality impacting the world (there's the "real" world, and then there's this weird phenomenon of fictional bleed-over that grants some people super powers and introduces demihumans into the world, but a lot of people don't actually perceive that part of the world? Except when they do? Fred is deliberately vague about the mechanics). The Endgames novels are more straightforward, and the six books have three stories happening in parallel to one another; there's an implication that the world of the games is it's own self-sustaining simulation that players in the real world are able to influence, rather than outright control their characters; again, Fred's vague about the exact mechanics of this. The Tokyo Threat Documentation Project is the webtoon spin-off, and it's a pretty self-contained, short-for-now comic.

Still, it was an interesting read to catch up on. Overall it's pretty much a soap opera/sitcom with fantastical elements thrown in, and Fred's sketchy style has it's charm.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 03-02-2023 at 03:13 PM.

I hadn't even twigged that the Ruins thread said part 1.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I am currently following:

• Ctrl + Alt + Del [Analog and D-Pad; The Starcaster Chronicles]
    • The Forgotten Order
    • Grrl Power
    • Harpy Gee
    • How to be a Werewolf
    • Phantomarine
    • Questionable Content
    • Sleepless Domain
    • Wychwood
    • xkcd
    Maybe I should have provided a summary of each one. I'll add some info later on tonight.

Extraordinary Member

Gonna be interesting to see how the anime handles the Swordsmith Village arc as I thought that was the weakest arc by quite a bit.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Gonna be interesting to see how the anime handles the Swordsmith Village arc as I thought that was the weakest arc by quite a bit.
    I agree, it's kind of weak compared to the rest of KnY.

But, tagging spoilers for those who haven't read the manga:

spoilers:
    The Upper Moons demons are kind of fun conceptually, we get a nice multi-person battle with Genya, Tanjiro and Kanroji, and the ending with Nezuko forcing Tanjiro to choose saving others over protecting her hits really hard and Nezuko conquering the sun is a very dramatic moment.

So less hype than I was for the last arc, but I'm keen to see this animated. See if they can elevate it.
    end of spoilers

It's not going to be as wild as the Red Light District arc. That arc was what made KnY go from "Hmmm, this is really well executed shonen," to "This is actually something really special and cool," in my books and the anime certainly handled that arc incredibly well.

The other issue with this arc is that it's the last major arc ahead of the endgame final arc and the endgame of KnY is like... well I mean I think my week to week reactions are in this thread somewhere.