Pot meets Kettle, Cell.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Just finished the most recent run of Punisher, where he's a member of the Hand. I don't even care about the Punisher, but I got tipped to read it by a YouTube vid and checked it out, and man, what a read. Somehow manages to balance wacky Marvel fantasy elements in with a deep, introspective saga about Frank's pre-Punisher life, and it hits the guts, man, at least for me. Great comic. Very tragic, though.

Granted, I see some bitching about how it totally betrays the Punisher mythos, but I was never a Punisher guy (mainly read him in various team up stories), so I'm not wedded to the past for the character. If it is a spit in the face to some, that's unfortunate, but I think on it's own, it's a really solid story.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 07-23-2023 at 09:22 AM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Just finished the most recent run of Punisher, where he's a member of the Hand. I don't even care about the Punisher, but I got tipped to read it by a YouTube vid and checked it out, and man, what a read. Somehow manages to balance wacky Marvel fantasy elements in with a deep, introspective saga about Frank's pre-Punisher life, and it hits the guts, man, at least for me. Great comic. Very tragic, though.

Granted, I see some bitching about how it totally betrays the Punisher mythos, but I was never a Punisher guy (mainly read him in various team up stories), so I'm not wedded to the past for the character. If it is a spit in the face to some, that's unfortunate, but I think on it's own, it's a really solid story.
    i was saying that too. i loved this run. it wasn't just frank killing people, and he does kill a lot of people, but it was also dealing with the consequences of being the punisher. maria was a nice juxtiposition to frank as we see how they hooked up and how frank was changing, both due to his time at war and that growing part of him that enjoyed killing.

the ending was great too, regardless of what people who only read bias articles about the comics without actually reading it. maria had a good reaction to finding out what frank had become since she and the kids died and how she wasn't happy with all the death he brought in their names.

it was the first full run of a punisher comic i've read since punisher max.

and since we are on the comics thing, ms. marvel is back in record time and as a mutant, and written by the actress who played her, whom i haven't even heard of her being a professional writer or anything.

sigh.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    and since we are on the comics thing, ms. marvel is back in record time and as a mutant, and written by the actress who played her, whom i haven't even heard of her being a professional writer or anything.

sigh.
    ...Well, that's expectedly disappointing. Though did get a bit floored bout the last part...Like really

For the curious, Shin Kamen Rider is now free on Prime!

This new version of the Double Riders should be fun to use in Rumbles!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

i was saying that too. i loved this run. it wasn't just frank killing people, and he does kill a lot of people, but it was also dealing with the consequences of being the punisher. maria was a nice juxtiposition to frank as we see how they hooked up and how frank was changing, both due to his time at war and that growing part of him that enjoyed killing.

the ending was great too, regardless of what people who only read bias articles about the comics without actually reading it. maria had a good reaction to finding out what frank had become since she and the kids died and how she wasn't happy with all the death he brought in their names.

it was the first full run of a punisher comic i've read since punisher max.
    Yeah, everything wrapped up well in the context of the story, and thankfully, the title wasn't put on pause for whatever the latest "event" was, or got dragged on longer than it needed to tell the story.

sigh.
    I knew they were just settin' Kamala up for a rushed gimmick resurrection. Probably to promo the upcoming movie/next season of the show I assume? Still weird how they killed her in the first place, but I guess they had to rush the death, too, so all the timing lined up.

Yeah, everything wrapped up well in the context of the story, and thankfully, the title wasn't put on pause for whatever the latest "event" was, or got dragged on longer than it needed to tell the story.

I knew they were just settin' Kamala up for a rushed gimmick resurrection. Probably to promo the upcoming movie/next season of the show I assume? Still weird how they killed her in the first place, but I guess they had to rush the death, too, so all the timing lined up.
    from what i've heard, they will bring her back via the krakoa ressurection protocals. now its not unheard of for them to bring back a non-mutant, (see captain america) but i don't know why they would bring her back as a mutant.

and i was right. the actress admits to have never written anything in her life and thinks of her run on the upcoming comic to be "fanfiction".

again.................sigh.

from what i've heard, they will bring her back via the krakoa ressurection protocals. now its not unheard of for them to bring back a non-mutant, (see captain america) but i don't know why they would bring her back as a mutant.

and i was right. the actress admits to have never written anything in her life and thinks of her run on the upcoming comic to be "fanfiction".

Really, Marvel. This is what you've stooped to, now? *sighs* This is just a new low.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

I mean, this reeks of the whole, "Oh, Marvel Studios can't use the X-Men, so lets downplay the X-Men and big up the Inhumans!" incident coming round again. Chances are the first draft of Kamala could very well have had her be a mutant, but at the time, they were leaning on the Inhumans. Now that the X-Men are back in Marvel's hands fully, they may be taking this opportunity to "correct" things years after the fact.

I remember in that same turn, they tried to retcon Pietro and Wanda out of being Magneto's kids. Which, apparently them being his kids was itself a weird, hackneyed retcon, but whatever, they'd been his kids for so long that undoing the connection years later just because they wanted to strip the characters of their X-Men ties because they were being used in Avengers movies seemed pretty lame. I don't know if they've already undone that or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    For the curious, Shin Kamen Rider is now free on Prime!

This new version of the Double Riders should be fun to use in Rumbles!
    Spoiler Alert just in case but I found a video with the Double Riders Fight and just wanted to post it because of how crazy this is.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Oh God no.

And pretty much admitting this run is "fanfiction" instead of a canonically new direction is really not a way to give confidence of the whole thing.

I mean, this reeks of the whole, "Oh, Marvel Studios can't use the X-Men, so lets downplay the X-Men and big up the Inhumans!" incident coming round again. Chances are the first draft of Kamala could very well have had her be a mutant, but at the time, they were leaning on the Inhumans. Now that the X-Men are back in Marvel's hands fully, they may be taking this opportunity to "correct" things years after the fact.

I remember in that same turn, they tried to retcon Pietro and Wanda out of being Magneto's kids. Which, apparently them being his kids was itself a weird, hackneyed retcon, but whatever, they'd been his kids for so long that undoing the connection years later just because they wanted to strip the characters of their X-Men ties because they were being used in Avengers movies seemed pretty lame. I don't know if they've already undone that or what.
    its still canon that the twins aren't magneto's kids.

and its bad enough that ms. marvel died in a spiderman book for no reason. add to the fact that her death scene was one of the poor drawn panels i've ever seen. and i actually like romita jr.s art work.

its still canon that the twins aren't magneto's kids.

and its bad enough that ms. marvel died in a spiderman book for no reason. add to the fact that her death scene was one of the poor drawn panels i've ever seen. and i actually like romita jr.s art work.

I like how the word bubbles in sharper ppi contrast than the art. :B

I've never been a fan of Romita, but it's not so terrible to me that I can't enjoy a comic he drew. And sometimes, the art style fits the mood of the story. It mostly jarring if I'm having to read a spider story where eery chapter has a different artist, so it's harder to get used to any given style.