Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

The dull surprise expressions in the first panel kinda...Yeah, that was not a way to convey the proper reactions to such a scene there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    and since we are on the comics thing, ms. marvel is back in record time and as a mutant, and written by the actress who played her, whom i haven't even heard of her being a professional writer or anything.

sigh.
    Eh, Everyone has to start somewhere. And Iman Vellani is a huge fan of the material who even bugged Kevin Feige about getting some facts about the Marvel universe wrong in the MCU. I'm sure she'll do fine

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Oh God no.

And pretty much admitting this run is "fanfiction" instead of a canonically new direction is really not a way to give confidence of the whole thing.
    To be frank, when it comes to Marvel and DC Comics the only difference between official material and fanfiction is that the rights holder gives you a shitty paycheck for the official stuff. There are plenty of canon comics that are worse than fanfic, and vice versa.

I don't see the comment as anything to be concerned about, especially when Ms. Marvel herself is someone who writes fanfic.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

they frankly all look high.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Eh, Everyone has to start somewhere. And Iman Vellani is a huge fan of the material who even bugged Kevin Feige about getting some facts about the Marvel universe wrong in the MCU. I'm sure she'll do fine

To be frank, when it comes to Marvel and DC Comics the only difference between official material and fanfiction is that the rights holder gives you a shitty paycheck for the official stuff. There are plenty of canon comics that are worse than fanfic, and vice versa.

I don't see the comment as anything to be concerned about, especially when Ms. Marvel herself is someone who writes fanfic.
    if she was starting off with a book of her own or a minor book, it would be a fine. but giving a first time writer duties over a major character, who not only just came back to life in damn near record time but being turned into a mutant, is not a good way to start. and considering how badly written the vast majority of marvel has been lately, letting an self-admitted ameture write something isn't a good way to get people to read.

Don't follow the comics but I've seen someone mention they'll take (any) new blood over folks who have been putting out bad (or the same) copy since pre-2000. I can understand a feeling like that
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I finished reading the latest episode of Flawed Almighty. Jeonji has Jotaro vibes. spoilers:
    So a Cult member gives a speech to Jeonji's Guardian Angle on how wearing clothing isn't allowed, because it's a original sin. As he tells it this Jeonji pops up right behind the dude, and when the dude turns around Jeonji sucker punches him. After they meet the leader of the Cult wearing masks. Jeonji's Guardian angel sentenced the dude to hell for using God's name.
    end of spoilers.

spoilers:
    Cult leader brags that he is god and that they should bow before him. Jeonji then injures himself and his Guardian angels healed him. Jeonji tells the Cult leader, that he doesn't like God. Doesn't like being forced to go around granting people's wishes.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    that God messed up his life, and that if he could he would sock him. That Guy showing up telling people he's God, is his lucky day. He then proceeds to crucify the cult leader. The cult leader starts laughing insanely after this, and Jeonji starts to think he's a nutjob.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    That's when the Cult leader's hands start to repair themselves and Jeonji figures out that the Cult leader is a demon.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 07-23-2023 at 08:09 PM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    if she was starting off with a book of her own or a minor book, it would be a fine. but giving a first time writer duties over a major character, who not only just came back to life in damn near record time but being turned into a mutant, is not a good way to start. and considering how badly written the vast majority of marvel has been lately, letting an self-admitted ameture write something isn't a good way to get people to read.
    More people are gonna be interested in seeing Iman Vellani writing Ms Marvel that they are in seeing her write any other character, due to her connection to the character.

Also: Vellani's not the only writer of the book, it's being Co-Written by Sabir Prizada who has a lot of professional writing credits (including an episode of the Bad Batch)

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

SPY X FAMILY:
    spoilers:
    So Nightfall gets a rage boost and uses it to overpower an opponent who is on par with, or maybe even superior to, Twilight. Basically punching and kicking through his guard. But in doing so she breaks her arm and leg.

Then she uses her broken arm to whip the dude's face, seemingly knocking him off his feet. At least that's what it seems like to me.
    end of spoilers

Nightfall is kinda crazy. Nothing compared to Yor still, but still good.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    SPY X FAMILY:
    spoilers:
    So Nightfall gets a rage boost and uses it to overpower an opponent who is on par with, or maybe even superior to, Twilight. Basically punching and kicking through his guard. But in doing so she breaks her arm and leg.

Then she uses her broken arm to whip the dude's face, seemingly knocking him off his feet. At least that's what it seems like to me.
    end of spoilers

Nightfall is kinda crazy. Nothing compared to Yor still, but still good.
    I also find it funny that a couple of chapters before,

spoilers:
    Twilight, clearly the stronger fighter, simply cannot put Yuri down for good, and (correctly, most likely) reasons it's because 'Is this what growing up with Yor does?'
    end of spoilers.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Marvel Studios is doing a really poor job explain Monica's power in Marvels trailer. I can seen comments online of people mocking the my power is to see light line from the trailer.
    That explanation was… terrible.

I mean her power is perfect for description when contrasted with Kamala. Monica turns herself into energy, and Kamala turns energy into other things.

They also ruined what I think was originally Intergalactic by the Beastie Boys (though I could be wrong, but I definitely recognised it).

Otherwise, I didn’t hate the trailer.
    Last edited by Beadle; 07-25-2023 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Random autocorrect of ‘originally’ to ‘organically’
    Chief Curmudgeon

Extraordinary Member

So it's not just Onigashima Luffy/Gear 5 Luffy, Uta and Gold Roger that are being added. There's also six other characters over the course of three DLC packs.

Yamato will almost certainly be in one of those. King and Queen feel like shoe-ins as well. After that I'm a bit more uncertain. Apoo might be a good choice if he's still one of the missing worst generation pirates, and he got a pretty substantial role in the raid. I'm guessing one or two of the Tobi Roppo will also be added. Probably Ulti, seeing how popular she was.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I also find it funny that a couple of chapters before,

spoilers:
    Twilight, clearly the stronger fighter, simply cannot put Yuri down for good, and (correctly, most likely) reasons it's because 'Is this what growing up with Yor does?'
    end of spoilers.
    Yup, that was also amusing.

In a similar vein I kinda want spoilers:
    Nightfall to think about how she's been training for an even stronger foe than Wheeler, of course refering to Yor. I think it'd be funny.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    More people are gonna be interested in seeing Iman Vellani writing Ms Marvel that they are in seeing her write any other character, due to her connection to the character.

Also: Vellani's not the only writer of the book, it's being Co-Written by Sabir Prizada who has a lot of professional writing credits (including an episode of the Bad Batch)
    still doesn't mean i want her writing for it. and her words in that interview don't exactly make me want to read it.

then again, i don't think marvel has too much idea of what to do with her since she got fridged in a comic that wasn't hers.
    Last edited by master of read; 07-24-2023 at 12:05 PM.

Dandadan: "Get out of here, Kinta! Why are you even here, Kinta!? You're useless, Kinta! H-holy shit, you're actually awesome, Kinta!" ~ The mood of this chapter.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!