Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    mostly black centrist who have been trying to claim cultures and historical figures as "ours". as a black man and a history buff, i find it disgusting.

mainly, black folks treat africa like a country, rather than a continent.
    As a black man, that is the dumbest revisionist horseshit I have read. Almost as idiotic as the people who tried to claim that Cleopatra was black.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm not black, so I can't speak from any place of authority, but I think treating Africa as the continent it is rather than some unified country is better - makes it more multicultural, makes the history richer, makes it more diverse seeing the whole breadth and scope of it all. But like I said, I'm white so can't even pretend like I'm in a place to know better or understand.

That said, still not sure how that relates to Napoleon. Dude was from France not Africa, and all surviving descriptions and paintings show he was white as hell and short to boot.
    its because most black people i know can barely name a proper african country and just assume it's all the same. i've heard stories of american blacks moving to africa and having severe culture shock as they see its nothing like they thought and many native africans don't like black americans. and that really depends on where you go.

as for nappy being black, that comes from a supposed portrait of him as a child but black. no source or anything. they just say its him. nevermind the fact that the french people wouldn't follow a black man nor would the media at the time, who ripped into him for being short, wasn't gonna go crazy that the french were being led by a black man.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    As a black man, that is the dumbest revisionist horseshit I have read. Almost as idiotic as the people who tried to claim that Cleopatra was black.
    "egypt is in africa and black people come from africa. so egyptians must be black."

its funny that people like jada smith are trying to co-op another culture's history and claim to know more about egyptian history than the people who live there. whom they called "invaders".

poor law. he had no idea what he was getting into.

mostly black centrist who have been trying to claim cultures and historical figures as "ours". as a black man and a history buff, i find it disgusting.

mainly, black folks treat africa like a country, rather than a continent.
    Certainly diaspora on the level of slavery would lead many searching for their roots, and if that fails, some sort of validation. Conversely however, this is a hard veer into overcompensation with these attempts at historic revisionism. Sadly it's not anything particularly new either.

That being said, the little African history I've been taught is limited to 20th century points of interest such as Ethiopian conflicts against Fascist Italy and South African Apartheid. Going back further an learning about, say, Mansa Musa, would require building some foundational understanding a bit outside of a Western-centric framework I suppose.

Extraordinary Member

Look who's back... or rather, they will be back this weekend. But here's their new opening.

Love Yor catching the coffee not once but twice.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Certainly diaspora on the level of slavery would lead many searching for their roots, and if that fails, some sort of validation. Conversely however, this is a hard veer into overcompensation with these attempts at historic revisionism. Sadly it's not anything particularly new either.

That being said, the little African history I've been taught is limited to 20th century points of interest such as Ethiopian conflicts against Fascist Italy and South African Apartheid. Going back further an learning about, say, Mansa Musa, would require building some foundational understanding a bit outside of a Western-centric framework I suppose.
    indeed. irony for me is the people i've had..........ahem......."discussions" on the topic of cleopatra and her blackness or lack thereof often leaving them scratching their heads when i ask them why she was called the last of the Ptolemaic pharaohs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Look who's back... or rather, they will be back this weekend. But here's their new opening.

*snip*

Well that is the thing she does best.

...y'know, besides murder. She's coming into the mom thing as well. Wonder if they'll get to the cruise ship?

indeed. irony for me is the people i've had..........ahem......."discussions" on the topic of cleopatra and her blackness or lack thereof often leaving them scratching their heads when i ask them why she was called the last of the Ptolemaic pharaohs.
    Surely you'd improved the framework of their understanding after the discussion. A lot of people tend to treat historical factoids as nifty beats of trivia rather than a piece of a whole picture.

Extraordinary Member

poor law. he had no idea what he was getting into.
    Teaming up with the Strawhats was the best decision Law ever made. But it was also the most frustrating decision.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Well that is the thing she does best.

...y'know, besides murder. She's coming into the mom thing as well. Wonder if they'll get to the cruise ship?
    They've shown bits of the cruise arc in trailers, and if they're going at the same rate as the previous season they'll cover it in the first cour I think.

Given how much the anime team loves Yor I am really excited to see what they'll do with the cruise arc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Wow, I was not expecting Kagurabachi to become so popular after three chapters. I was fully expecting it to be canned, so I am pleasantly surprised (honestly, astounded) that Manga Plus has ranked up there with Jujutsu Kaisen, One Piece and Chainsaw Man in terms of readership.
    Eh, don't put too much stock into that. Kagurabachi was getting memed as being super popular since before it came out. It's the same as those "Morbius made a morbillion dollars" memes from a while back. Except Kagurabachi is actually half-decent, instead of being Morbius

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Opening feels very Ranma 1/2. ^_^

Edit: In retrospect, I guess this shows I haven't watched a lot of anime in a loooooong time.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Opening feels very Ranma 1/2. ^_^

Edit: In retrospect, I guess this shows I haven't watched a lot of anime in a loooooong time.
    Makes me wonder if there'll ever be a reboot of Ranma 1/2.

There's a lot of things in that show that I don't think would fly today.

Jujutsu Kaisen: spoilers:
    Spoilers for Chapter 238 have been leaked. Sukuna mentions how Yorozu tried to teach him about love, but he continues to demonstrate that he is a complete psychopath by stating that love is a ridiculous concept and he doesn't understand why the "strong" (such as Gojo and Kashimo) should be concerned if they're loved or not for anything other than said-strength. Kashimo points out that if that was the case, then Sukuna would be satisfied and wouldn't care to be incarnated into the present era. Sukuna states that he just wants the freedom of devouring humans (who he states are diverse in flavor), and killing whoever he wants that annoys him, and toy with anyone that can entertain him. Kashimo is then seen being assaulted with a net of Dismantle attacks. it's revealed Yuji may or may not have been given the last finger of Sukuna's that Gojo had in his possession since he is seen transforming in the last panel after Sukuna defeats Kashimo, though his arms seem to take on a reptilian appearance instead of Sukuna's tattooed look. So, his transformation is either because of Sukuna's finger, The Death Painting abilities that he inherited from consuming his six other brothers, whatever he learned from the book of souls, or all three. On a related note, there's been other unconfirmed scans that suggest that Gojo may use the Reverse Cursed Technique to reattach his torso and bottom half in upcoming chapters, but I'm taking those with a grain of salt for the time being since they could be fan edits.
    end of spoilers

All in all, I need to see Sukuna to get knocked on his pompous ass.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 10-04-2023 at 09:01 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Makes me wonder if there'll ever be a reboot of Ranma 1/2.

There's a lot of things in that show that I don't think would fly today.
    That's...a hugely valid point. Would need to be some changes.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Latest in the saga of reading 'I was reborn into the villain's body' manwha, Villains Are Destined To Die.

Have to admit, once the central character got through the tutorial (it's hard to explain) this has become quite an enjoyable read with above average art (I mean, the art in this sort of story is usually quite good, and this is a cut above that). As usual, the central character is pretty unperceptive, but at least this time she has a reason to be this way. ^_^

Edit: I take it back, it's not enjoyable, it's downright delightful. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-04-2023 at 08:47 AM.
    Why are we here?