nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    What is the opposite to the Winter Wolf? There should be a Summer Deity of some kind.
    There are many.

The Winter Wolf was a singular deity, not tied to a pantheon (like Baba Yaga) but loosely associated with the seasons. She was mostly revered/feared by the northern tribes and was generally more on the neutral side of things. Cold, Death, and the Hunt were her essence domains. No shrines to her, but the northern cities and tribes would have totems of her to ward her off or beg her mercy in harsh times.

Some theologians did reckon she had kin, and some contested that the Arboreal Maiden or Father Sand was just that. A dryad like deity of small renown, she tended toward the Lands of Green south of the Citadel where as he was the Whirlwind of the Wastes in the desert far south, called Kalakan.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Making your own class sounds cool, dunno if I have the creativity to though hmm
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Fandoms is as fandoms does, as they say. And despite a refreshing lack of a "male gaze" camera in the series (at least as I've seen in the manga, I dunno if the show decides to go for it), Frieren still checks all the boxes for this kind of stuff:

-A female character exists at all.
    -People have heard of the series, with a recent growth in awareness thanks to an anime adaptation (SEO optimization).
    -The series is a "pretty people" series, all the characters are handsome, beautiful, cute, and/or roguishly distinguished.
    -There is some romance/attractions in the series (shipping bait).
    -Frieren in specific is a "cute elf girl", a popular enough archetype for artists to latch onto.

It really doesn't take much for lewd artists to ride that wave for a bit. If anything, the lack of fan service may drive some people to indulge in that kind of fan work because its all the more shocking.

That said, Frieren did try to give Stark a "clothes removing potion" (which got turned back on her), and Sein speaks fondly of "attractive older women", and that kind of stuff is all a fandom needs to try and spiral off a lewd meme.

I dunno, I don't get the feeling the show itself will really be impacted, unless the people overseeing the show want to push that angle for marketing, but I would hope they have enough sense to not go that route. As you say, the lack of overt lewdness is one of the positives of the series.
    I can hope you’re right. So far, it seems to be pretty faithful to the manga. Like, exactly.

Speaking to which. Turns out, I’m just an idiot, it’s not going to be on Netflix Canada, the reason I thought it was is because I’m in Japan right now, and so the Netflix on the iPad says hey, it’s Japan, let’s use Japan!

So I’m getting all kinds of awesome stuff I will lose the moment I go back to Canada.

Ah, Well.

Binge watched Frieren today because we were taking a break (very tired). First 12 episodes hold up fantastically well.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I can hope you’re right. So far, it seems to be pretty faithful to the manga. Like, exactly.
    Good to hear, so hopefully it stays the course! Anime doing short-run seasons that take their time going through the material has definitely been a benefit for adaptation, I think.

Speaking to which. Turns out, I’m just an idiot, it’s not going to be on Netflix Canada, the reason I thought it was is because I’m in Japan right now, and so the Netflix on the iPad says hey, it’s Japan, let’s use Japan!

So I’m getting all kinds of awesome stuff I will lose the moment I go back to Canada.
    Quick, get a couple SSD portable drives and download them all somehow! :B

Ah, Well.

Binge watched Frieren today because we were taking a break (very tired). First 12 episodes hold up fantastically well.
    That's cool. Something else to add to my list of "shows I should watch when I get around to watching shows". :V
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 11-26-2023 at 04:27 AM.

well, hell has frozen over.

cm punk has returned to the WWE.

my thoughts?

does this make him look like a hypocrite? hell yes. he's spend so long ragging on the E and here he is, going back to the "place that made him sick".

was this a smart move for him? hell yes. he has to go where the money is and where he can do what he wants to do.

as for the locker room.............like anywhere you work, you are not gonna get along with everyone. some are happy he is back. most are indifferent. some don't like it but will work with him. and a few are outright upset that he's back.

regardless of how you feel about him, raw is gonna be a landmark show.

oh..........................****.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    well, hell has frozen over.

cm punk has returned to the WWE.

my thoughts?

does this make him look like a hypocrite? hell yes. he's spend so long ragging on the E and here he is, going back to the "place that made him sick".

was this a smart move for him? hell yes. he has to go where the money is and where he can do what he wants to do.

as for the locker room.............like anywhere you work, you are not gonna get along with everyone. some are happy he is back. most are indifferent. some don't like it but will work with him. and a few are outright upset that he's back.

regardless of how you feel about him, raw is gonna be a landmark show.
    We truly live in a time where any hypothetical scenario that would've been laughed at is pretty much happening.

Like wow.

Spy x Family: That's an intriguing tidbit. So, spoilers:
    Anya's real name is actually "Ania", and she's just been mispronouncing her name the entire time?
    end of spoilers
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Spy x Family: That's an intriguing tidbit. So, spoilers:
    Anya's real name is actually "Ania", and she's just been mispronouncing her name the entire time?
    end of spoilers
    Is that really relevant, plot wise? It almost sounds like someone made a mistake.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Is that really relevant, plot wise? It almost sounds like someone made a mistake.
    It seems deliberate. spoilers:
    In this short chapter (which takes place at the beginning of the series), Anya wanted to make a custom name plate for her door. She's carves the name "Ania" on her name plate until Loid tells her that she misspelled her name and that it's supposed to be "Anya". Anya has a pretty dubious expression on her face (instead of the over-the-top shocked look she has when she makes a mistake) before she redoes her carving to spell "Anya", with the chapter ending with stating her name.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 11-26-2023 at 10:03 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    It seems deliberate. spoilers:
    In this short chapter (which takes place at the beginning of the series), Anya wanted to make a custom name plate for her door. She's carves the name "Ania" on her name plate until Loid tells her that she misspelled her name and that it's supposed to be "Anya". Anya has a pretty dubious expression on her face (instead of the over-the-top shocked look she has when she makes a mistake) before she redoes her carving to spell "Anya", with the chapter ending with stating her name.
    end of spoilers
    I agree with Len.

This seems like a deliberate hint at something.

spoilers:
    We all know that Anya is the one of the most guarded secrets in the entire family. Due to her telepathic abilities, Loid and Yor can't hide anything from her. Meanwhile she's lying to everyone about said abilities, her age, her background and apparently her real name.
    end of spoilers

Her very pensive look at the end says both a lot and very little since it's up for interpretation what she's thinking about.

When Ochako gets back into the fight.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Jujutsu Kaisen: spoilers:
    Man, I couldn't really get into the gimmick of this fight. It's certainly creative and I give Gege props for going all in on it. It just didn't work for me. Stand up in general is difficult for me to get into and a lot of the stand up jokes just flew over my head. So the whole thing dragged out a bit. But at least Takaba got some really good character moments and the result of the whole thing actually does something to Kenjaku. So Takaba feels less like a waste of a character compared to Tsukumo and Kashimo.

I doubt Kenjaku is entire done for (though it would be hilarious if this is how he was defeated). But we'll see if he can pull anything else off.
    end of spoilers

One Piece: Holy **** this flashback is fastpaced. spoilers:
    In this chapter Kuma overthrows a tyrant king. He then becomes king of his country. Then he abbdicates to his advisor, who was an even earlier king. He abbdicated so that he could fight off the previous king who returned with several marine battleships. Kuma then goes all over the One Piece world looking for a cure for Bonney's disease. He runs into Dragon and the revolutionaries. Dragon recommends Kuma take Bonney to see Vegapunk, so he does that. Kuma agrees to let Vegapunk clone him for the future pacifistas, both of them intending for the clones to be instruments of peace. But Saturn strongly disagrees. And Bonney eats her devil fruit off-screen.

That is A LOT! ...and yet it doesn't really feel rushed. There's stuff that I would like to see elaborated. But overall it gets the point across quite well so that we get to what is most likely a defining moment in the lives of Kuma, Bonney AND Vegapunk. This flashback is fascinating for the content and how it'd told.

Also, I love the little joke with people confusing the old queen dowager for Bonney due to her DF ability. It's such a silly joke and it's perfect.
    end of spoilers

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob
    Quick, get a couple SSD portable drives and download them all somehow! :B
    We’ve tried; sadly, they can only be downloaded onto the Ipad. For some reason. Argh.

Which will still give us enough room to snag what we haven’t watched of ‘What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim’ and what I haven’t watched of ‘Tale of the Nine Tailed’ (potential good Rumbles characters there), and possibly seasons 1&2 of SpyxFamily (screw you Disney+). So that’s something. But maaaaan, so many good shows…
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate