Page 236 of 2469 FirstFirst ... 1361862262322332342352362372382392402462863367361236 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 37026
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Ah yeah, that actually did strike an off-note with me. I wasn't even aware Xingyi had anything to do with animal forms. Shaolin is where my mind normally goes to when I think of animal kung fu.
    Exactly. Because Shaolin also attempts at least somewhat to overtly make the movements more 'animalistic'.

Xingyi HAS them, but they're considered a kind of 'advanced study' thing, they're not part of the fundamentals, and they're not overtly 'animalistic' in appearance. Here's a pretty good showing of someone demonstrating the 'forms' (which are basically only the fundamental movements/concept of that animal, repeated...many Xingyi forms tend toward the short and simple).

That's...all 12 of them, in 1:58.

Really, if one wanted to 'get' Xingyi in a short sentence, one might say "A method of boxing focusing on a particular kind of biomechanics usually associated with what are often termed 'the internal arts'". Which, as one might note, is vague to the point of total uselessness as an explanation, which is why I feel we shouldn't try to distill complex things into single sentences. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

...apparently, Adam Dudley uses the deadly art of Ice Hockey to win his fights.

While as a Canadian I approve of this fantasy, it's a little...again, someone with a very, very shallow knowledge of something has taken an idea and run with it so far he couldn't see the starting point with a telescope. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...apparently, Adam Dudley uses the deadly art of Ice Hockey to win his fights.

While as a Canadian I approve of this fantasy, it's a little...again, someone with a very, very shallow knowledge of something has taken an idea and run with it so far he couldn't see the starting point with a telescope. ^_^
    He’s a street fighter. They said it was impressive the way that he could knock people out while on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    He’s a street fighter. They said it was impressive the way that he could knock people out while on ice.
    True enough. It's just the whole...'Ice Hockey's speciality is hockey fighting!' (not true, it's skating, puck-handling, and various kinds of shots with the puck) 'Fistfights are tacitly approved!' (not true, you get a rather large penalty, and if you drop your gloves you get hoofed from the game, often get a suspension, etc) 'You can't throw any attacks but jabs!' (not true, hooks are thrown as well, and in fact once the fight gets serious jabs are rarely thrown as the forehand is normally grabbing the other guy's shirt) 'Coefficient of friction of 0.05!' (true, but misses the point that often people put their skates at angles and dig in just fine...which doesn't make for perfect footing, but does counter the whole 'there is near-zero friction on ice!' argument).

Knockouts don't tend to happen in SOME part because it's on ice and the footing is less-than-stellar, but also because....

1. Equipment;
    2. The fighters are not trained at all in fighting.

And he uses a Hockey-referencing finishing technique called a 'High Stick Shot' (which is...okay, High-Sticking is a penalty for hitting people with a stick or even raising it to a high level, not a shot ^_^').

I'm not saying the manga sucks or anything (I'm enjoying it immensely, much more than Baki), I'm just reading some parts of it and giggling uncontrollably. If I hated it, I'd be crabbing about every single unrealistic thing in the fights. ^_^
    Why are we here?

True enough. It's just the whole...'Ice Hockey's speciality is hockey fighting!' (not true, it's skating, puck-handling, and various kinds of shots with the puck) 'Fistfights are tacitly approved!' (not true, you get a rather large penalty, and if you drop your gloves you get hoofed from the game, often get a suspension, etc) 'You can't throw any attacks but jabs!' (not true, hooks are thrown as well, and in fact once the fight gets serious jabs are rarely thrown as the forehand is normally grabbing the other guy's shirt) 'Coefficient of friction of 0.05!' (true, but misses the point that often people put their skates at angles and dig in just fine...which doesn't make for perfect footing, but does counter the whole 'there is near-zero friction on ice!' argument).

Knockouts don't tend to happen in SOME part because it's on ice and the footing is less-than-stellar, but also because....

1. Equipment;
    2. The fighters are not trained at all in fighting.

And he uses a Hockey-referencing finishing technique called a 'High Stick Shot' (which is...okay, High-Sticking is a penalty for hitting people with a stick or even raising it to a high level, not a shot ^_^').

I'm not saying the manga sucks or anything (I'm enjoying it immensely, much more than Baki), I'm just reading some parts of it and giggling uncontrollably. If I hated it, I'd be crabbing about every single unrealistic thing in the fights. ^_^
    I love the silliness of it. It’s part of its charm lol.

One of my favorite things is the misconceptions the characters have about different people. There’s a chapter focusing on that and it’s downright hilarious.

Sharp you also need to learn the missile style. You are lacking.

I love the silliness of it. It’s part of its charm lol.

One of my favorite things is the misconceptions the characters have about different people. There’s a chapter focusing on that and it’s downright hilarious.
    Oh, absolutely. I'm giggling because it's so ridiculous. The writer clearly doesn't take himself too seriously (I mean, it's a semi-serious manga, but not like some of the fight ones out there). And that's fine. It's enjoyable.

Sharp you also need to learn the missile style. You are lacking.
    I'm Canadian, we don't allow Cruise Missiles.
    Why are we here?

Oh, absolutely. I'm giggling because it's so ridiculous. The writer clearly doesn't take himself too seriously (I mean, it's a semi-serious manga, but not like some of the fight ones out there). And that's fine. It's enjoyable.

I'm Canadian, we don't allow Cruise Missiles.
    That is why you will never master xing yi lol. Dude I forgot all about his fighting style.

That is why you will never master xing yi lol. Dude I forgot all about his fighting style.
    ^_^

Only way you can turn on a dime like that is on the Ice, man. Need Hockey Fighting.

Side note - I love the character interplay in this manga (again much more than Baki). So many characters are more like people off the mat, and actually have friendly (and grudgingly friendly) encounters with each other.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Well, for the first time in quite some time been actually writing things up to the thousand words range.

...In between work hours and breaks...On my phone.

...Has anyone just wrote novels on their phones before?

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Well, for the first time in quite some time been actually writing things up to the thousand words range.

I have. God, it was the worst.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    You mean best.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Damn... I thought writing all my Anima posts on my phone was bad.

No.

*limit dance*
    Why are we here?

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

All of my posts, including my RP ones, are via phone.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM