Page 341 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 2412913313373383393403413423433443453513914418411341 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 36575
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I've heard quite a few stories of a similar sort over the years. One of them - recently - was one in an apartment. Maybe the same one.

Ugly stuff.
    that's probably the same one.

Oh my God, Beasle. So sorry this is happening to ya man. Seriously that is fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    My uncle passed away today in hospital. He always had severe learning difficulties (his mother had rubella while she was pregnant with him, and at the time nobody knew the connection), and he lived in a care home in the same city as me. As the only member of the family who lives anywhere near him (let alone in the same city), I’ve been pretty close to him, and I’ve had to go in to the hospital this afternoon to pick up his things and say goodbye to him.

I think it’s the first time I’ve seen a dead body (which I realise is probably unusual at my rapidly-advancing age).

Damn, that was hard.

Especially because his brother, my Dad, will almost certainly also go this year. My uncle’s Parkinson’s was much more advanced than my Dad’s, but Dad’s dementia and Alzheimer’s are way further along the road. And the rate of decline is accelerating.

I've been prepared for this not to be a good year, but... ****.
    Sorry for your loss, man. I've sort've been in a similar situation myself, a couple years ago. Condolences to you and your family.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

My uncle passed away today in hospital. He always had severe learning difficulties (his mother had rubella while she was pregnant with him, and at the time nobody knew the connection), and he lived in a care home in the same city as me. As the only member of the family who lives anywhere near him (let alone in the same city), I’ve been pretty close to him, and I’ve had to go in to the hospital this afternoon to pick up his things and say goodbye to him.

I think it’s the first time I’ve seen a dead body (which I realise is probably unusual at my rapidly-advancing age).

Damn, that was hard.

Especially because his brother, my Dad, will almost certainly also go this year. My uncle’s Parkinson’s was much more advanced than my Dad’s, but Dad’s dementia and Alzheimer’s are way further along the road. And the rate of decline is accelerating.

Sorry for your loss mate.

If you need to talk about things or whatever, the community is here for you.

Damn, that was hard.

So sorry for your loss and for all of it. You have my shoulder if you need support. My condolences.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    So when you said "I don't see why people are outraged," what you meant to say was "I do understand why they are outraged but they shouldn't be because there are worse things in the world,"

That seems like a weirdly specific complaint to me.

I mean, it's perfectly possible to be upset about people saying the n word, former members of the KKK being in political office and Liam Neeson wanting get into fights with specifically black people all at that the same time.
    No, my complaint is that people shouldn't drag others down over incidents which are admitted in the context of regret and which didn't harm anybody. There are plenty of actual threats in today's society, and so far as I can tell Liam Neeson isn't one of them.

Damn, that was hard.

Damn Beadle. It's a hard road you're on right now. Whatever little my empathy is worth, you have it. You ever want to talk, you know where to find me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    No, my complaint is that people shouldn't drag others down over incidents which are admitted in the context of regret and which didn't harm anybody. There are plenty of actual threats in today's society, and so far as I can tell Liam Neeson isn't one of them.
    "Dragging others down" in this context being noticing that a very racist thing that a guy did was racist.

I just don't really understand. Should people not be like "yeah that's racist," when celebrities admit to doing a racist thing?

"Dragging others down" in this context being noticing that a very racist thing that a guy did was racist.

I just don't really understand. Should people not be like "yeah that's racist," when celebrities admit to doing a racist thing?
    If it's limited to saying "yeah that's racist" then they'd simply be agreeing with his own assessment. So sure.

It's the calls to end his career that I have a problem with.

Its the fact that he didn't show regret for the racism until called out on it after the interview

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    If it's limited to saying "yeah that's racist" then they'd simply be agreeing with his own assessment. So sure.

It's the calls to end his career that I have a problem with.
    Again though, this isn't what you said. Your initial post was "I don't understand why people are outraged," It's very obvious why people are outraged.

I really don't follow why you seem quite invested in Liam Neeson, with his millions of dollars, still being able to work in his industry of choice after the admission on his part of attempting to commit a hate crime. Worst case scenario he had to make do on his millions of dollars and we don't see him in any more films.

That's the worst case.

Not that that will happen, he's big enough that this won't kill his career. A much more directly offensive racial outburst from Mel Gibson didn't kill his career permanently. Neeson is going to be fine.

However, it's likely going to damage his career. Like that's going to happen. He's a figure in the public eye so it's a ton of negative press, he's probably going to be less in demand by directors or producers of colour and his films might do less well as he's going to be less appealing to viewers.

I don't really care either way, I've never been a huge fan of Neeson outside of Schindler's List but I just don't seem to get why you were at first claiming ignorance of why people might be upset and why you seem to want to handwave an attempt at racist assault as not worth complaining about.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

On another track, I should have an Anima post up tonight (my game) - it's mostly written, I just need to do a little more at home. And Siriel's game is moving, hooray.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    On another track, I should have an Anima post up tonight (my game) - it's mostly written, I just need to do a little more at home. And Siriel's game is moving, hooray.
    I’d got to yours before my news.

Siriel’s was due to follow, but it might be a day or two now, I’m afraid.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I’d got to yours before my news.

Siriel’s was due to follow, but it might be a day or two now, I’m afraid.
    That's rather understandable, man. Real life always comes first.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Again though, this isn't what you said. Your initial post was "I don't understand why people are outraged," It's very obvious why people are outraged.

I really don't follow why you seem quite invested in Liam Neeson, with his millions of dollars, still being able to work in his industry of choice after the admission on his part of attempting to commit a hate crime. Worst case scenario he had to make do on his millions of dollars and we don't see him in any more films.

That's the worst case.

Not that that will happen, he's big enough that this won't kill his career. A much more directly offensive racial outburst from Mel Gibson didn't kill his career permanently. Neeson is going to be fine.

However, it's likely going to damage his career. Like that's going to happen. He's a figure in the public eye so it's a ton of negative press, he's probably going to be less in demand by directors or producers of colour and his films might do less well as he's going to be less appealing to viewers.

I don't really care either way, I've never been a huge fan of Neeson outside of Schindler's List but I just don't seem to get why you were at first claiming ignorance of why people might be upset and why you seem to want to handwave an attempt at racist assault as not worth complaining about.
    No, the words are just being interpreted in a different way than I meant them. Acknowledging something is racist isn't outrage. Outrage involves rage, scandal, negative consequences to follow, that sort of thing.

There is merit to acknowledging something Neeson almost did is bad. There is no merit to destroying the Neeson today for what he almost did but didn't do. It is a waste of time and energy that encourages everyone who ever once almost did something really bad to cover it up.

This argument would apply equally to anybody. Neeson simply happens to be a prominent example.