Page 51 of 2430 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455611011515511051 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    I thought Rogue One was better, though.
    The last battle was good, yes .. but the entire film ? No. TLJ is just a consistently decent film.

Of course that's my opinion so, mileage may vary.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    I don't get what the fuss is about with TLA. I admit that I'm not as into Star Wars as some are, but I thought it was a perfectly fine film. I liked Rey, and I thought the Finn/Rose subolot was very well-done. Overall, I thought it was a good movie, certainly not the worst of the bunch like some are saying.
    As a followup to all the mystery-box plot threads JJ Abrams left in TFA, the answers were rather unsatisfying relative to the buildup and seemed to tend towards subversion seemingly for its own sake. Rather than moving anything forward much of what was revealed in TLJ nipped these plot threads in the bud, and rather decisively in a few cases, to the point where I don't really want to see how things wrap up in Episode IX.

The heroes losing effectively to their own stupidity over and over again appeared to contrive movement in the plot, and without them learning or growing much from this it felt like a bit of a slog for its own sake. I suppose with the overtones of challenging the viewer as it were that would be the point, but it was a bit of a labour to watch.

Cinematography was beautiful, would still watch it over, I dunno, Attack of the Clones I guess, and it isn't the end of western civilization many Youtuber doomsayers would have you believe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The last battle was good, yes .. but the entire film ? No. TLJ is just a consistently decent film.

Of course that's my opinion so, mileage may vary.
    The only major complaints I have is that Finn's subplot was a waste of time and the final act really undermined the rest of the film.

Either way it should be no surprise that their was an overreaction, don't forget these are the same people who spent a decade acting like Lucas was the devil, because he made a trilogy of bad films. Star Wars and overreactions seem to go hand in hand with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

can i just express my love for grand admiral thrawn, one of the best parts of "rebels"?
    Thrawn was always one of the more interesting characters brought into Star Wars and bringing him back AND being true to his character was a master stroke. Bonus for not killing him off prematurely as that was always a large mistep in the old EU.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I refer everyone in the thread to the mantra I have adopted over this year; "We're allowed to like different things," ^_^

Extraordinary Member

Black Clover: Hey cool. Fuegoleon is back. And he has a fire arm to replace the one that got blasted off. Neat.

Leopold still has a bit too go though before becoming potential top tier.

My Hero Academia: Another solid chapter.

I appreciate getting the deets on Shinsou's quirk, and that he's neither a game changing aspect nor a big hinderance for his team.

Tsuyu acting as the leader of the team makes tons of sense, and it's nice to see that the class B kids are just as skilled as the class A crew.

So far it's a bit up in the air as though which side will win the first bout. Class B seems to have the advantage in power, but Tsuyu's ploy might turn things around.

Only complaint is that Koda didn't get to do enough.

One Piece: Oh, I hope Holdem gets wrecked in the next couple of chapters. Dude's an ass.

I wonder if O-Kiku's reaction to Zoro is infatuation, admiration or just her weird way of interacting with people.

And of course everything's become a mess. Next chapter will probably be like:

Law: Strawhat!

Luffy: Oh, hi Law!

Law: How long have you been on this island?

Luffy: Ehh... about a day or so. Why?

Law: You're telling me that you've made contact with, and fought, two of Kaido's higher ranking soldiers and demolished a town, that you've also set on fire.

Luffy: Yes. Yes. That's last part is an accident.

Law: ...who do you keep doing these things?

Luffy: Dunno. Because they're fun.

Law: ...I should just accept that this is my life now.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I refer everyone in the thread to the mantra I have adopted over this year; "We're allowed to like different things," ^_^
    No U! >: P

I wasn't aware anybody was insinuating to the contrary, though to add on to that, one should not feel compelled, much less obligated, to watch anything they probably won't like in the first place.

Seems common sense does tend to lose out to grounds for banter and rabble-rousing these days, though, so one can't be too careful *shrug*
    Last edited by grampagen; 08-31-2018 at 01:55 PM.

No.

Everyone must like Cthulhu. Except Len. I do so enjoy his petty torments.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    I wasn't aware anybody was insinuating to the contrary, though to add on to that, one should not feel compelled, much less obligated, to watch anything they probably won't like in the first place.

Seems common sense does tend to lose out to grounds for banter and rabble-rousing these days, though, so one can't be too careful *shrug*
    Not insinuating anything. Generally the discourse around contentious films around here is of a much more even persuasion than elsewhere. (I refer you to the earlier referenced YouTube shitlords).

Just reminding folks that we don't have to agree or have consensus on this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    No.

Everyone must like Cthulhu. Except Len. I do so enjoy his petty torments.
    When will you two just get a nice house in the suburbs and raise some demon squid children?

I'll even give you time off from boat duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    No U! >: P
    Don't make me come into those pants.

Wait...

That didn't sound right...

Oh dear.

I will leave now.

*Smashes through window*

I keep trying Nik, but Len is resisting my Eldritch Advances™

Arx Inosaan

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

My biggest problem with TLJ was several bad plot holes. The lightspeeding into a bigger enemy to kill them was amazing looking, it really was, but if that tactic was viable then there is literally no way that zealots on both sides wouldn’t have killed each other that way. Especially not after seeing how desperate the old rebellion could be at times.

Also, the Falcon demonstrating pinpoint warping but the First Order ships being unable to do the same (and a big plot being them stuck in a stern chase with the resistance just staying ahead) when, in fact, we saw the Imperials could do exactly that before.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Don't make me come into those pants.

Wait...

That didn't sound right...

Oh dear.

I will leave now.

*Smashes through window*
    To be fair, it's not like I was wearing them in the first place.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Got an upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy 8. This thing is so damn spiffy
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!