Page 528 of 2430 FirstFirst ... 2842847851852452552652752852953053153253857862810281528 ... LastLast
Results 7,906 to 7,920 of 36448

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    If your roomie doesn't want critique, he shouldn't show people the teacher's stuff.

But martial arts are like an ego-feeding ground. Start with a skill that involves conflict, romanticized as a 'life or death' thing. So it's considered important. Add a large dollop of ego, mostly male (occasionally female) since this is about 'me better than you', again in that whole 'fighty' situation. Pour on the idea that 'if it's so important, then I need to be learning the best style around, at the best school, from the best of the best teacher' (thank you Hollywood), rather than 'I need to learn something useful/fun/whatever from a school that suits my needs due to proximity, training method, and so forth, whatever those needs might be' (Self-defence? Fitness? Fun? You decide!). For garnish, sprinkle on the teacher-student link, where people with lower self-confidence latch onto the idea that if THEY'RE not the best, their teacher MUST BE, and in so doing feel better about themselves (because they're learning from the bestest).

Stir, let sit, and bake to get a pretty bitter dish.

People don't like it when someone questions a single thing about their style/teacher/training method/school/whatever. After all, for something this important, why would they be learning this, at this school, from this teacher, if they weren't the BEST? Ergo, they must BE the best, and anyone who critiques anything calls the whole thing into question.

I find that cross-training can help with this perspective, but I've also met people who cross-trained who basically exemplify the above with regards to whatever style they happen to be training in at that time.

Me? I figure anything gives me an opportunity to learn something.
    He definitely looks up to his teacher. They spoke different languages so martial arts was how they bonded.

I love critiques simply because I love learning and improving.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    My roommate got mad at me for dissing his former ninjitsu instructor’s technique. I didn’t even know that was his instructor when he was showing me the video I was just judging based off of what was shown.
    I'm no martial artist, but arn't ninjitsu schools just scams? From what I understand none of them have any proven links to historicle ninjutsu schools and mostly just teach basic martial arts techniques along with stuff they made up?

Can someone who's actualy knowledgeable on the subject clear this up for me?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    He definitely looks up to his teacher. They spoke different languages so martial arts was how they bonded.
    And a critique of his teacher's technique becomes a critique of his teacher and, by extension, a critique of his care for his teacher, his respect of his teacher, etc.

It's understandable, but incorrect. Teachers aren't perfect, nobody is.

I'm not even going to get into whether or not ninjutsu is real or what-have-you. In the end, it's just a name, and if the teacher is teaching something of value and wants to call it ninjutsu, that's his business. If he's LYING about it, saying that it's some ancient art when it's something cobbled together from whatever, that's unethical, but that's a different matter (at which point we also need to know if teacher decided this, or got it from teacher's teacher, and where it started, before we start pointing fingers... ^_^).

I love critiques simply because I love learning and improving.
    Pretty much. Where would we be if we just accepted that, right now, everything we know is perfect? And that everything teacher is showing us is perfect?
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-12-2019 at 06:50 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I'm no martial artist, but arn't ninjitsu schools just scams? From what I understand none of them have any proven links to historicle ninjutsu schools and mostly just teach basic martial arts techniques along with stuff they made up?

Can someone who's actualy knowledgeable on the subject clear this up for me?
    *wiggles hand*

Depends on how you want to talk about it.

Ninjutsu as in 'From the ninja, lo these many centuries ago'?

If someone puts together a bunch of essentially Japanese stuff and says 'I'm trying to recreate what I figured Ninjutsu was like', I'm cool with that. Myself, I don't BELIEVE that ninja really existed as presented, but there's a paucity of evidence in both directions, so if someone wants to follow this path I'm not going to complain.

If someone says 'My style was passed down from the Koga ninja of legend, and I am the fifteenth generation sensei of Aki-I-Ninjitsu', that's about where I start saying 'Dude, you're probably scamming people.'

Fighting validity?

That's a factor more of 'how they practice and teach' than 'specific techniques' or the like (there are no magical secret techniques that only one style has 'figured out').

But even then, calling it 'ninjutsu' without anything to back it up, and without any kind of notation that it might be 'something I've tried to recreate, based on intensive study of Japanese martial arts, historical record, etc', it's getting pretty disingenuous. Basically, something to drag in people searching for magical martial arts.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-12-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Some information on various modern 'ninjutsu' things. It's interesting to note that some of the 'larger' schools popped into being at the beginning or middle of the 1980's...when Hollywood was going through a ninja craze.

Frankly, Ashida Kim hasn't helped the whole ninjutsu credibility thing.

And then you get dudes like this guy.

Timothy Moshimitsu a.k.a. Master Moshi
    Not much else is known about him other than somehow being of Japanese and Vietnamese descent. He was a little-known, self-proclaimed, Ninjutsu practitioner who popped up sometime around 1984 in Los Angeles, CA. He did not advertise, nor did he erect a big school. He gave private-lessons in his back yard and mostly applied his skills in Aikido and Jujitsu along with concepts of Ninjutsu. To date, he has never claimed lineage to ancient Ninja schools nor has he claimed lineage to any past historical Ninjutsu figures. He taught what he considered to be the true essence of Ninjutsu which according to him is "whatever the Ninja would do if you took a time machine and threw them in today's world".
    Which...you know, I can get behind. If he wants to call that ninjutsu, have at it; without getting into combat validity of what he teaches (I've never met the man), he's not claiming some traditional lineage or 'truth', he's basically stating 'this is some Japanese fighting stuff I've learned, here's how I feel the ninja would be if they were around'.

Edit: I used to get all bent out of shape about this kind of thing, but in the end, who cares? So long as they're not willfully bilking people out of money (unethical) and just want to call something ninjutsu (and are up front about it), what's the harm? Now, claiming to train people to fight when it's not really happening, that's also unethical, but frankly not limited to ANY particular martial art (this happens in everything). ^_^ It's a factor of school and training; one can point at big, organized martial arts that seem to be more egregious for this than others, but I've met 'karateka' who I would avoid fighting, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-12-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    Why are we here?

BANNED

Interesting stuff

Interesting stuff
    Probably too much, but I tend to ramble.
    Why are we here?

BANNED

Are the stats on the Kamen Rider wiki taken from diferent sources or somthing? Cause how much higher the Showa Rider's stats are in comparison to the heisei riders seems a bit absurd, atleast going by whats listed on the wiki.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Watched Godzilla last night. I thought it was decent.

Real Ninjitsu is not what people think it was.

The art of invisibility was about not being noticed. In feudal Japan. people went out of their way not to notice the lower classes for instance.You blended in and such

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

Death Batttle

spoilers:
    While it's good that they didn't go with a BS resault, I don't think it's a coincidence that the RWBY character gets the least lethal looking death that show has ever had
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

It was a recreation of Mitsuru's Instant Death Finisher from the fighting game
    end of spoilers

There’s new chapter of Abyss Rage out. The Entertainer is such an awesome character. He seems to be the only one that can fight the main bad guy and his pull inside the prison is pretty awesome. This dude just randomly pulled out a P90. I can’t wait for the backstory for him and his assistant.

Astral Chain's looking good

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel