Page 567 of 726 FirstFirst ... 67467517557563564565566567568569570571577617667 ... LastLast
Results 8,491 to 8,505 of 10881
  1. #8491
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I get why he dosn't like it, it's just his refusal to accept that other people do that bugs me.

    I don't believe the Kenny or the Bucks will ever be mainstream stars or make wrestling mainstream again, but saying they never drew a dime, when they pretty clearly have a decent sized audiance who pay to see them, just seems nonsensicle to me.
    i understand what the bucks and cody are doing in AEW, so it's all good with me.

    and it's ironic because jim and russo hate each other for the exact same reason.

  2. #8492
    Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Earthrealm
    Posts
    13,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Mortal Kombat Reboot News





    Good news is, we are getting fatalities.
    I just noticed that article is from seven years ago. Phew! I was genuinely horrified this movie was going to suck

  3. #8493
    Astonishing Member Lord Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,209

    Default

    Order of the Stick: As a lawyer, I never expected the Norse-inspired gods to pull such a stunt, but I am mightily pleased.

  4. #8494
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    I just noticed that article is from seven years ago. Phew! I was genuinely horrified this movie was going to suck
    Huh so it is.
    Well that's good to know!
    ...

    *Hires Nappa to direct!*
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  5. #8495
    I turn into a BIRD! The Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Darkest recesses of my mind
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Mortal Kombat Reboot News

    Good news is, we are getting fatalities.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

  6. #8496

  7. #8497
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,251

    Default



    me being interviewed by author and comedian, matthew whiteside.

  8. #8498
    Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post


    me being interviewed by author and comedian, matthew whiteside.
    Nice. Great stuff.

  9. #8499
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Nice. Great stuff.
    thanks. he's a cool dude. all i did was ask and he said yes.

  10. #8500
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,251

    Default

    a friend showed me her WIP for a "detroit" fanfic she was working on. i gave her my honest thoughts (it was a good start and she needed to find her voice. and to read more of that genre to get more ideas on how to improve) and she pitched a fit at me. saying i was "condensing" and that she felt insulted. and she just said she needed some space from me.

    i asked a few other people their thoughts so i'll ask you all: should i be pissed?

  11. #8501
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    a friend showed me her WIP for a "detroit" fanfic she was working on. i gave her my honest thoughts (it was a good start and she needed to find her voice. and to read more of that genre to get more ideas on how to improve) and she pitched a fit at me. saying i was "condensing" and that she felt insulted. and she just said she needed some space from me.

    i asked a few other people their thoughts so i'll ask you all: should i be pissed?
    No. People are always going to feel defensive of their work. I have worked with a bunch of writers as an editor and navigating those interactions is very tricky.

    You also may well have been condescending or come across as insulting. Again, it's very difficult to have these discussions amicably, even more so through text.

    Give her space, perhaps consider apologising if it seems the damage to the friendship is bad. You don't really have any right to be more than a bit annoyed.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Underbelly: A Mafia Intrigue RPG. Come and do crimes!
    Art Thread on CBR

  12. #8502
    Reborn Samurai Len Ikari145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Right behind you.
    Posts
    3,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    a friend showed me her WIP for a "detroit" fanfic she was working on. i gave her my honest thoughts (it was a good start and she needed to find her voice. and to read more of that genre to get more ideas on how to improve) and she pitched a fit at me. saying i was "condensing" and that she felt insulted. and she just said she needed some space from me.

    i asked a few other people their thoughts so i'll ask you all: should i be pissed?
    Irritated, sure. But no, you shouldn't be pissed at her. As Nik said, writers are always going to feel defensive of their work and aren't always going to be readily receptive to criticism, especially if it's worded too bluntly. I know you didn't mean to come across as condescending and she may understand that you were just trying to help once she's calmed down, but give her space to mull it over. You are probably going to need to fully explain your intent to her that you weren't trying to insult her story and probably apologize to clear the air between you.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

    Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

  13. #8503
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Irritated, sure. But no, you shouldn't be pissed at her. As Nik said, writers are always going to feel defensive of their work and aren't always going to be readily receptive to criticism, especially if it's worded too bluntly. I know you didn't mean to come across as condescending and she may understand that you were just trying to help once she's calmed down, but give her space to mull it over. You are probably going to need to fully explain your intent to her that you weren't trying to insult her story and probably apologize to clear the air between you.
    i would like to clarify that i didn't say anything really bad about it. it was actually pretty good. i would've probably said more but "Detroit" is a fandom i know nothing about. i just said it needed a bit of work. and i went about it as nicely as i could. she just blew up at me and wouldn't give me a chance to say much of anything before saying leave me alone.

    edit: it also doesn't help things that people blowing up at me like that is a pet peeve of mine.

  14. #8504
    Reborn Samurai Len Ikari145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Right behind you.
    Posts
    3,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i would like to clarify that i didn't say anything really bad about it. it was actually pretty good. i would've probably said more but "Detroit" is a fandom i know nothing about. i just said it needed a bit of work. and i went about it as nicely as i could. she just blew up at me and wouldn't give me a chance to say much of anything before saying leave me alone.

    edit: it also doesn't help things that people blowing up at me like that is a pet peeve of mine.
    Then you should just stick to letting her have her space until she's ready to speak to you again. Has she ever come to you for advice about her writing before and responded similarly or is this the first time?
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

    Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

  15. #8505
    Astonishing Member Lord Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,209

    Default

    If someone asks for feedback and you give it in good faith while trying to avoid being cutting about it, and then they blow up at you because they can't handle it, that's likely on them.

    But creative works can be really sensitive things for people, and people don't always deal with sudden surges of such emotions well either. Nervousness, embarrassment, pride, ego, love, defensiveness, it can be a tight mess waiting to explode and the creator might not even realize it.

    Healthy communication, I find, is usually the best solution. Give her space to cool off, that's generally a good idea following a blow up (or ideally in place of one!). But communicate out of a desire to build understanding. If both parties are lashing out for their own self-satisfaction, well, that's unlikely to go anywhere good. Just communicate and evaluate what your relationship with her is going to be like moving forward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •