Page 623 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 12352357361361962062162262362462562662763367372311231623 ... LastLast
Results 9,331 to 9,345 of 36576
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    You don't know what you need until I give it to you. Fear not, my prescription is at hand.

Dr. Miburo is here to give you the audio logs you need, at the volume you deserve.

NIK. PUT ME ON THE PODCAST.
    I mean, if you're in London we should totally record an episode.

I'm going make a comment that's adjacent to the previous topic of conversion and it's not about any form of identity politics so I hope this is cool Guy1.

I only buy trades of comics and I haven't bought a mainline Marvel or DC property in a long time. I think the closest thing to that I bought was Tom King's Mr Miracle run, which is am entirely self contained AU and I've been buying Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing which is, again, weird enough that's not rally concerned with its links to the DCU at large.

I have however bought a ton of Image and indie comics over the years. The reason for this shift is not because I don't enjoy superheroes any more, though that does play into it a bit, but more I find the relentless status quo of Marvel and DC conceptually uninteresting.

Smaller companies have characters that genuinely grow and change and their stories end and that's satisfying. They also tend to focus on characters and ideas that would never get traction in the big two.

Something like ODY-C for example is weird and gross and transgressive but also beautiful and deeply magical to read. I don't get that from the big two which is why I stopped looking.

I also have rules when I buy comics.

1) I can only go comics shopping once a month
    2) I can buy one book that is a continuation of something I'm already buying
    3) I can buy one new thing that I have heard of that I want
    4) I must buy something I've never heard of before

This has led to be buying a lot more weird indie stuff and it's really been great for me. But yeah, the big two just aren't that engaging to me any more.

Whenever they introduce new characters, well executed or otherwise, I just can't get into it because I know they are going to end up in the big status quo pile and be locked at a certain point in their lives forever until they are killed off for drama or just forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    Yeah budddyyyy
    I just saw some stuff and I’m not too thrilled about the new combat system.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'm going make a comment that's adjacent to the previous topic of conversion and it's not about any form of identity politics so I hope this is cool Guy1.

I only buy trades of comics and I haven't bought a mainline Marvel or DC property in a long time. I think the closest thing to that I bought was Tom King's Mr Miracle run, which is am entirely self contained AU and I've been buying Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing which is, again, weird enough that's not rally concerned with its links to the DCU at large.

I have however bought a ton of Image and indie comics over the years. The reason for this shift is not because I don't enjoy superheroes any more, though that does play into it a bit, but more I find the relentless status quo of Marvel and DC conceptually uninteresting.

Smaller companies have characters that genuinely grow and change and their stories end and that's satisfying. They also tend to focus on characters and ideas that would never get traction in the big two.

Something like ODY-C for example is weird and gross and transgressive but also beautiful and deeply magical to read. I don't get that from the big two which is why I stopped looking.

I also have rules when I buy comics.

1) I can only go comics shopping once a month
    2) I can buy one book that is a continuation of something I'm already buying
    3) I can buy one new thing that I have heard of that I want
    4) I must buy something I've never heard of before

This has led to be buying a lot more weird indie stuff and it's really been great for me. But yeah, the big two just aren't that engaging to me any more.

Whenever they introduce new characters, well executed or otherwise, I just can't get into it because I know they are going to end up in the big status quo pile and be locked at a certain point in their lives forever until they are killed off for drama or just forgotten about.
    Even in spite of your issues with the Big Two, I would highly, highly recomend Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing.

It redefines the Hulk in the same way that Alan Moore redefined Swamp Thing, and in general it's just absolutely phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Even in spite of your issues with the Big Two, I would highly, highly recomend Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing.

It redefines the Hulk in the same way that Alan Moore redefined Swamp Thing, and in general it's just absolutely phenomenal.
    While I appreciate and respect the recommendation, even when I was in with the big two I didn't really care about the Hulk and the direction I've seen for Immortal Hulk hasn't convinced me to change my buying habits.

I'll keep an open mind though, I might be pleasantly surprised.

BANNED

I think the discussion kind of got away from my original point. Wich was that I don't agree with the revisionist history alot of comic fans have, were everythingwas hunky dory with Marvel until they introduced that kind of stuff and sudenly turned bad over night.

When in reality things had been going down hill almost a decade prior to that kind of stuff being introduced that kind of stuff. And while I don't care for it, I don't agree with the notion that it "ruined Marvel".

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    While I appreciate and respect the recommendation, even when I was in with the big two I didn't really care about the Hulk and the direction I've seen for Immortal Hulk hasn't convinced me to change my buying habits.

I'll keep an open mind though, I might be pleasantly surprised.
    Join me at Valiant!

A new Kengan Omega chapter is out and we finally get to see Purgatory. I’m not surprised that Jose is an A-list fighter. We also get to see the 6th Fang of Metsudo. I really hope that Agito bodies him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    I just saw some stuff and I’m not too thrilled about the new combat system.
    I didn't see it yet, but apparently it's turn based?

I'm going to have to look into it. On the one hand, I love Yakuza, and I love combat based stuff, on the other hand, I also really like the current Yakuza style, and at first blush, the new combat system seems....jarring, compared to what was had.

Hopefully they'll find a way to make it flow organically. I will research.

I guess with a new protagonist, they figured to change up the gameplay as well? It's interesting. Not sure how how to feel about it honestly. But I can't really judge it until I see more, either.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

I was today years old when I realized that the Soviets in Red Alert 2 are located to the west of the U.S., so it makes no sense why they'd start by invading New York.

Yes, time travel, total unrealism, whatever. This one stuck out.

Extraordinary Member

One Piece: Things are progressing smoothly for the good guys. They've got weapons, man power, good management (a rarity for the Strawhats) and a solid plan. And all the short time skips will give the anime lots of stuff to expand upon if they so wish. It looks like this'll go just fine.

*reaches final page*

...oh no. That's like the worst thing that could've happened.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 08-29-2019 at 11:55 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    One Piece: Things are progressing smoothly for the good guys. They've got weapons, man power, good management (a rarity for the Strawhats) and a solid plan. And all the short time skips will give the anime lots of stuff to expand upon if they so wish. It looks like this'll go just fine.

*reaches final page*

god help...............everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

*reaches final page*

...They better hope Cat arrives with Marco and some serious backup. And even then, lol not sure what can be done.

Also looks like Apoo was always a bastard....and then there's Hawkin's seeing seeds of dissent. **** won't be easy, haha.
    Last edited by KingofPie; 08-30-2019 at 03:18 AM.