Page 70 of 2454 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374801201705701070 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 36805

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Not to be that guy, but you realise this animation is of extremely low quality right?

The new Netflix series actually has camera angles and elements of the character actually moving during the transformation sequence. It is a massive step up in terms of direction and animation quality.

Meanwhile in Kingdom, Kitari takes her opponent to pieces in quite exceptional fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Not to be that guy, but you realise this animation is of extremely low quality right?

The new Netflix series actually has camera angles and elements of the character actually moving during the transformation sequence. It is a massive step up in terms of direction and animation quality.
    Maybe it's just giving me an less than stellar first impression. If i get a chance to see the actual series, I might change my mind.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Maybe it's just giving me an less than stellar first impression. If i get a chance to see the actual series, I might change my mind.
    I don't mind people not liking the new She-Ra look. Obviously, it's impossible for something to be universally liked. I more just find it weird that people point at the old cartoon like it had good production values. It absolutely didn't because it was a cheaply made show designed to sell toys.

Those sequences you posted had like eight frames of character animation in like ten seconds. It's incredibly cheap and low quality stuff.

By all means hate on the design of the new show but like, that's art direction or design. It's nothing to do with animation quality or fidelity.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i really don't mind the new design and this is coming from someone who still loves the older cartoons, despite how cheap it all was. hell, me and my old roommate spent a whole afternoon watching the old he-man cartoon and laughing at how cheap everything looked.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Almost all those old cartoons were hot garbage. The shows had cool art and neat world building, but the general quality of animation, voice acting, writing, etc, was bargain-bin schlock at best. But then, what could one expect from extended action figure advertisements? A couple of higher-quality shows managed to squeak through the sludge as the 80s wore on, but cartoons didn't really Git Gud until the 90s.

So, on the one hand, it's annoying to keep seeing old properties reused when it feels like the entire 2000s thus far has been nostalgia obsessed, but on the other hand, there's something to be said for those older IP's given a chance to better realize their potential, after a couple decades of quality refinement and honing of the craft.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Almost all those old cartoons were hot garbage. The shows had cool art and neat world building, but the general quality of animation, voice acting, writing, etc, was bargain-bin schlock at best. But then, what could one expect from extended action figure advertisements? A couple of higher-quality shows managed to squeak through the sludge as the 80s wore on, but cartoons didn't really Git Gud until the 90s.

So, on the one hand, it's annoying to keep seeing old properties reused when it feels like the entire 2000s thus far has been nostalgia obsessed, but on the other hand, there's something to be said for those older IP's given a chance to better realize their potential, after a couple decades of quality refinement and honing of the craft.
    It kind of reminds that as dated and cheesy as G1 Transformers is, when you look at it's competition at the time (eg MoTU), it's no wonder the franchise had more far lasting relevance and success than it's contemporaries.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    It kind of reminds that as dated and cheesy as G1 Transformers is, when you look at it's competition at the time (eg MoTU), it's no wonder the franchise had more far lasting relevance and success than it's contemporaries.
    G1 TF is probably the in the top three of shows from that era, and it's basically unwatchable to me now (aside from the movie).

But it was Beast Wars Transformers which really revived the series ten years later and made it the juggernaut franchise it is today, due to superior storytelling, great voice acting, and being one of the early CGI shows which kept improving as it went on. And sure, it looks dated now, but the show still holds up even today, and there's been further great incarnations in the years since (Prime, Animated). Also a bunch of mediocre anime ones, but hey, can't win them all.

Also, being the coolest action figure franchise ever made sure helped. :P

BANNED

G1 TF is probably the in the top three of shows from that era, and it's basically unwatchable to me now (aside from the movie).

But it was Beast Wars Transformers which really revived the series ten years later and made it the juggernaut franchise it is today, due to superior storytelling, great voice acting, and being one of the early CGI shows which kept improving as it went on. And sure, it looks dated now, but the show still holds up even today, and there's been further great incarnations in the years since (Prime, Animated). Also a bunch of mediocre anime ones, but hey, can't win them all.

Also, being the coolest action figure franchise ever made sure helped. :P
    Sure G1 dosn't exactly hold up. But it was light years ahead of it's contemporaries in every aspect. Megatron wasn't exactly the height of menace, but he (and the other Decepticons) still managed to be a reasonably formidable opponent for the Autobots, wich put him far ahead of incompetent fools like Skeletor and Cobra Commander. The Autobots might have all had 2 dimensional personalities, but at least they had actual personalities. The list goes on. G1 dosn't hold up to today's show or the shows of the 90's , but when you rate it on a curve against the other 80's shows, it was a masterpiece in comparison.

Don't get me wrong ability to reinvent itself over time and make good shows by the standards of the 90's 2000's and 2010's helped and failure to do that is part of why franchises like MoTU and many others fell by the wayside.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Sure G1 dosn't exactly hold up. But it was light years ahead of it's contemporaries in every aspect. Megatron wasn't exactly the height of menace, but he (and the other Decepticons) still managed to be a reasonably formidable opponent for the Autobots, wich put him far ahead of incompetent fools like Skeletor and Cobra Commander. The Autobots might have all had 2 dimensional personalities, but at least they had actual personalities. The list goes on. G1 dosn't hold up to today's show or the shows of the 90's , but when you rate it on a curve against the other 80's shows, it was a masterpiece in comparison.

Don't get me wrong ability to reinvent itself over time and make good shows by the standards of the 90's 2000's and 2010's helped and failure to do that is part of why franchises like MoTU and many others fell by the wayside.
    i'm inclined to agree. a lot of the shows back then didn't have much in the way of character depth. at least i can remember almost every autobot and decepticon because they had memorable designs and interesting personalities. my favorites are still the constructicons.

Yeah, no argument there. And it certainly helps that TF by its very concept was a lot more adaptable to reincarnating and making big cast and circumstance changes than most of those other shows without feeling out of place. The TMNT are probably the only other show franchise able to consistently keep reincarnating itself as much as the TF.

Ha! Both series Transform and Mutate throughout the ages. Who knew the titles would turn out so meta! :P

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i'm inclined to agree. a lot of the shows back then didn't have much in the way of character depth. at least i can remember almost every autobot and decepticon because they had memorable designs and interesting personalities. my favorites are still the constructicons.
    Still a Dinobot guy, myself! :P

BANNED

Yeah, no argument there. And it certainly helps that TF by its very concept was a lot more adaptable to reincarnating and making big cast and circumstance changes than most of those other shows without feeling out of place. The TMNT are probably the only other show franchise able to consistently keep reincarnating itself as much as the TF.

Ha! Both series Transform and Mutate throughout the ages. Who knew the titles would turn out so meta! :P

Still a Dinobot guy, myself! :P
    I think the fanbases unwillingness to accept change a lot of the time, also hurt a lot of those old franchises abilities to get revamped overtime. You have to be willing to take a chance if want a franchise to be able to reincarnate.

I will say to the credit of She-Ra (including the 80's version), the concept of having a hero who starts out on the bad guys side, was actualy a pretty interesting one for the time and is arguably even still an interesting one by today's standards, when it comes to cartoons.

That could certainly make for a decent initial character arc for her.