Page 735 of 2454 FirstFirst ... 23563568572573173273373473573673773873974578583512351735 ... LastLast
Results 11,011 to 11,025 of 36800
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I mean, that sounds like you saying that money is bad. Sounds like communist talk to me. /s

Sarcasm aside though, I feel that's a large part of the apathy and outright denial of Climate Change, the money to be made ... not at all trying to keep Earth from becoming the next Venus. So it's unlikely we'll ever see any worthwhile measures enacted until it's far too late for those measures to matter.
    Sad, but true is my feeling. The window is getting smaller, and even if we meet targets, horrible crap will STILL happen.

We're down to a hail mary of 'magic tech discovery saves everything', which isn't going to happen.

Also, children are horrible, what with the crying and the boogers. I'll stick to cats, dogs, and lizards.

Maybe a Raccoon if I'm feeling adventurous.
    I'm with you on kids (as is my wife), but other people have them, they're people as well, so...yeah, I'm worried.

...I find it (sadly) amusing that I seem to be more worried about other people's kids' futures than said people do about their kids' futures.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Sad, but true is my feeling. The window is getting smaller, and even if we meet targets, horrible crap will STILL happen.

We're down to a hail mary of 'magic tech discovery saves everything', which isn't going to happen.
    I doubt the people spending millions and millions annually to refute or outright deny the science of Climate Change care about the horrible things that are now guaranteed to happen. Which, and I should say this is my opinion and perhaps not a fact, seems to be sort of the result of the older generation and the mindset of "not my problem"; but hey ... at least we'll all be gone before the seriously bad crap happens, right ?

Oh, you mean that's not the case, and the consequences of Climate Change are already starting to manifest ?

It's almost as if we've known this since the 1980s or something.

I'm with you on kids (as is my wife), but other people have them, they're people as well, so...yeah, I'm worried.

...I find it (sadly) amusing that I seem to be more worried about other people's kids' futures than said people do about their kids' futures.
    Yea, that is certainly an unfortunate reality.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

In know this might seem a bit hypocritical of me since I comented on one of the issues myself, but I don't really feel comfortable with these things being descussed here. I know that stuff has to be descussed but, this the kind of place I come to get away from that kind of stuff, not be submerged in it.

Well, it's certainly hypocritical.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I'll spoiler it for those who don't want to see it.

...frankly, I think we all need to see it MORE, not LESS, but that's me. But I'm not going to NOT bring up the news about it when something...I gag on saying 'new', because it's not...happens. I come here and get meat-pictures and crap like that smeared in my face regularly, without complaint. If people can post that stuff, I don't see the problem with me posting a news article saying 'Yep, we're boned' or 'we STILL are not doing anything!' about Climate Change.

spoilers:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I doubt the people spending millions and millions annually to refute or outright deny the science of Climate Change care about the horrible things that are now guaranteed to happen. Which, and I should say this is my opinion and perhaps not a fact, seems to be sort of the result of the older generation and the mindset of "not my problem"; but hey ... at least we'll all be gone before the seriously bad crap happens, right ?
    To which the only reply possible these days is 'Okay, Boomer.' Snarky meme joking aside, it makes me horribly sick. It's right up there with the people who pat the activists on the head and say 'You'll make a great world leader when you're old enough, I'm sure you'll fix all of this.'

No, *******. First of all, they don't want to be world leaders, they're doing this because this **** is happening. Second of all, by the time they manage to wrest power from the greedy hands of those profiting off this situation or blindly ignoring it, it'll be too late.

Yea, that is certainly an unfortunate reality.
    I just don't understand the whole 'I have kids, but I'm going to deny and claim it's not a problem' crap while simultaneously espousing children as the most Important Thing Evah™
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-26-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I'll spoiler it for those who don't want to see it.

...frankly, I think we all need to see it MORE, not LESS, but that's me. But I'm not going to NOT bring up the news about it when something...I gag on saying 'new', because it's not...happens.

spoilers:

To which the only reply possible these days is 'Okay, Boomer.' Snarky meme joking aside, it makes me horribly sick. It's right up there with the people who pat the activists on the head and say 'You'll make a great world leader when you're old enough, I'm sure you'll fix all of this.'

No, *******. First of all, they don't want to be world leaders, they're doing this because this **** is happening. Second of all, by the time they manage to wrest power from the greedy hands of those profiting off this situation or blindly ignoring it, it'll be too late.

I just don't understand the whole 'I have kids, but I'm going to deny and claim it's not a problem' crap while simultaneously espousing children as the most Important Thing Evah™
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    *Insert Greta Thunberg "How dare you," speech here.*
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    spoilers:
    *Insert Greta Thunberg "How dare you," speech here.*
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Pretty much what leapt to mind, yes, though others have said similar stuff in the face of vast condescension and hypocrisy.
    end of spoilers
    Why are we here?

BANNED

I know this is going to incredably hypocritical after what I just said but, fuckit.

If we are all doomed and are going to die in a climate change induced apocolypse, then why should I even bother going on living? Give me one good reason (other than the fact that I would be too cowardly to go through with it), why I shouldn't just go and jump off a cliff here and now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I know this is going to incredably hypocritical after what I just said but, fuckit.

If we are all doomed and are going to die in a climate change induced apocolypse, then why should I even bother going on living? Give me one good reason (other than the fact that I would be too cowardly to go through with it), why I shouldn't just go and jump off a cliff here and now.
    I can give you two reasons, in fact!

1. We're not doomed YET. It looks bad. If we do nothing, it'll be incredibly bad. If we do something, but not a lot, it'll 'just' be really bad. If everyone gets off their asses and does whatever they can -- governments, individuals, corporations (hahahaha...) -- it'll 'just' be bad, but salvageable*. Mostly. UN reports do a good job of covering this, and are available for consumption on the internet for free -- the summaries handle it pretty well for those not interested in delving into the technical nitty-gritty.
    2. You have a life now, might as well live it. And try to do some good at the same time.

* There's the magic supertech will save us option, but people hoping for that are basically part of the problem.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-26-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Agreeing with Sharp, giving up on the problem just means it's guaranteed to happen.

Fight, struggle, protest, demonstrate, adopt as many green things into your life as possible, tear down capitalism and strip billionaires of their blood-soaked assets to be redistributed to those who need them and actually push for the advancements and restructuring of society that we need and VOTE at every goddamned opportunity you have!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i got 2 reasons to keep living.

1: one piece ain't done yet.

2: my best friend gabbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Agreeing with Sharp, giving up on the problem just means it's guaranteed to happen.

Fight, struggle, protest, demonstrate, adopt as many green things into your life as possible, tear down capitalism and strip billionaires of their blood-soaked assets to be redistributed to those who need them and actually push for the advancements and restructuring of society that we need and VOTE at every goddamned opportunity you have!
    Well-said, sir. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Fantastic Member

Elena Doublecast has a whole series of these.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

just..........damn.

So, a year after scientists are telling us we need to get started on Climate Change in a Very Serious Way™ or we're going to bugger up the planet even worse than it will be if we actually meet our 'goals' (said goals only mitigating the damage, not at all preventing it), we are still basically doing f-all.

And, as they note, had we started back in 2010 when the serious call to action had been given (gawd, had we started back in the 1980's when all of this was discovered) we would not nearly need to do as much drastic crap immediately. And every year that passes? It'll need to be more drastic, approaching the 'impossible' threshold.

Hope nobody is planning on having children, because it's a **** world we're leaving them.
    I don't think you have to worry about the US: US life expectancy is still on the decline. Here's why That and a major drop in the number of children being born.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.