Page 755 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 25565570574575175275375475575675775875976580585512551755 ... LastLast
Results 11,311 to 11,325 of 36575
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I will say Kylo was easily the best thing about the Disney trilogy, but I think elevating him to the status of main villain at the end of Last jedi was one of the biggest mistakes they made. He worked great as the rival character/enforcer of the big bad, but he's just not the kind of character who works as the big bad. So they wrote themselves into a corner there and had to bring back Palpatine to fill the role of big bad.

I still think Kylo's great though. On the bright side Disney can atleast be said to have done mostly good things with the franchise outside of the films.
    he was interesting to me in TFA but i lost interest in him after that. i mean, he feels like a poor's jacen solo.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

I will say Kylo was easily the best thing about the Disney trilogy, but I think elevating him to the status of main villain at the end of Last jedi was one of the biggest mistakes they made. He worked great as the rival character/enforcer of the big bad, but he's just not the kind of character who works as the big bad. So they wrote themselves into a corner there and had to bring back Palpatine to fill the role of big bad.

I still think Kylo's great though. On the bright side Disney can atleast be said to have done mostly good things with the franchise outside of the films.
    If anything, I learn not to expect much and it's surprisingly the most effective way for me to find enjoyment.

...Meanwhile, Battlefront 2 is apparently getting its redemption as a competent game after two years of mild disappointment since launch.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    he was interesting to me in TFA but i lost interest in him after that. i mean, he feels like a poor's jacen solo.
    I see as more Kyp Durron, especially early Kyp when Han was kinda like a father figure to him, had major issues until going into a rather nasty turn to the Dark Side thanks to subtle manipulations fueling those issues, and destroyed an entire system of planets.

this is a little gem that shows that lucas knew what he was doing with anakin and hayden's acting ability.

anakin tries to be a good jedi and be detached from emotions. we see him tinkering as a outlet for his emotions but it isn't enough. finally it all blows over and he vents everything he's been feeling.

then he looks down at his hands, as if he sees blood on them and he finally says "i killed them." and the way his face looks makes it seem like he can't believe he did what he did.

some might see this as anakin being whiny but........he's a guy who spent most of his childhood as a slave, torn from his mother too early, lost the only father figure he had in qui-gon, had a mentor who himself wasn't ready for the role of master, lacked many social skills due to being raised in a enironment that discouraged personal feelings and relationship, and now his mother whom he swore he would save dies in his arms when he had all the power to do so.

it's little things like this that keep me going back to the prequels.

BANNED

Not realy. Kylo's whole character revolves around the fact that he's kind of a loser and is an in universe poor man's Vader. Even in Last Jedi the fact that he was kind of loser beneath his exterior was evident.

Wich why I think he works well as a rival figure, but not as the big bad of the story.
    Last edited by TheLastDalek; 12-18-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Not realy. Kylo's whole character revolves around the fact that he's kind of a loser and is an in universe poor man's Vader. Even in Last Jedi the fact that he was kind of loser beneath his exterior was evident.

Wich why I think he works well as a rival figure, but not as the big bad of the story.
    that's just my personal feeling towards him.

but i agree. him being a rival to someone else works but as a big bad? nope. especially since the first order feels so hollow and weak compared to the empire.

BANNED

that's just my personal feeling towards him.

but i agree. him being a rival to someone else works but as a big bad? nope. especially since the first order feels so hollow and weak compared to the empire.
    My main point is that basic backstory aside, they don't have all that much in common. I will give credit to Last Jedi for the fight against the Crimson Guards, it's probably one of my favourite lightsaber fights in the movies.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

See, I disagree with this take myself.

Proviso, I've not seen the Rise of Skywalker yet and, given that it apparently undoes a lot of cool stuff in TLJ, I'm not rushing to.

I'm also not interested in litigating the quality of TLJ, don't @ on this one.

So!

Making Kylo Ren the main antagonist was a good move in my opinion. It felt natural but also unexpected. Snoke was just a dude in a chair with no real on-screen connection with anyone beyond Kylo himself and Kylo's constant rage and frustration meant that he was definitely going to try and take over at some point. I didn't expect him to do it successfully and it was a fun twist. Further to that, Kylo is intimately tied to the Skywalker dynasty/cast and he has the connection with Rey and he has a connection with Finn as his old boss and the guy who got his friends killed.

It made sense for his arc for him to dig into being darker by trying to take over, the interplay between him and Rey essentially trying to drag each other to the opposite sides of the force was some of the best writing in the Star Wars films franchise for my money.

As soon as I heard they were bringing back Palpatine my interest in the third film plummeted because it made all the good stuff in TLJ seem pointless. Why kill off a boring old man in a chair if you're just going to replace him with a slightly more established boring old man in a chair?

Yes, Kylo Ren is an explosive, misguided and somewhat pathetic man but putting that guy at the reins of power was a genuinely interesting as it forced him to confront his hubris, the consequences of his actions and made the plot turn around the interesting relationships of the text. Also, I personally found him intimidating as villain in different ways because that guy has nothing to lose.

Also Adam Driver just sells it really well.

I'll probably see RoS at some point but I am not expecting anything very interesting from it.

this is a little gem that shows that lucas knew what he was doing with anakin and hayden's acting ability.

anakin tries to be a good jedi and be detached from emotions. we see him tinkering as a outlet for his emotions but it isn't enough. finally it all blows over and he vents everything he's been feeling.

then he looks down at his hands, as if he sees blood on them and he finally says "i killed them." and the way his face looks makes it seem like he can't believe he did what he did.

some might see this as anakin being whiny but........he's a guy who spent most of his childhood as a slave, torn from his mother too early, lost the only father figure he had in qui-gon, had a mentor who himself wasn't ready for the role of master, lacked many social skills due to being raised in a enironment that discouraged personal feelings and relationship, and now his mother whom he swore he would save dies in his arms when he had all the power to do so.

it's little things like this that keep me going back to the prequels.
    Ditto. I once answer this that his rant towards Obi-Wan and the Jedi for supposedly holding him back is less arrogance and that he's so utterly lost about what to do. He killed those people down to women and children...And he was fine with it. Problem here was that he was taught that was wrong, especially given that he has the power to manipulate the force. He failed his teachers and no matter how much he lashed out, he knew they had a point in some level. He hated the sand people enough to kill them but again knew that's wrong. The whole thing just leaves him understandably pissed and frustrated.

I'm pretty sure that's where Padme made her decision to be with Anakin after initially rejecting him. She saw him mainly as a Jedi early on only to realize he's so alone and just wasn't your average cookie cutter Jedi. He was a mental mess and needed emotional support.

My main point is that basic backstory aside, they don't have all that much in common. I will give credit to Last Jedi for the fight against the Crimson Guards, it's probably one of my favourite lightsaber fights in the movies.
    uggg. i hate that fight. blame on my own tastes for fight scenes but i can't watch that fight without getting a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Shin guards?

Wow. Never had those. And boxing gloves, eh? I admit, I've never used boxing gloves while sparring (used light MMA ones). Lemme know how they work for you. ^_^
    These shin guards feel pretty good. The last ones I had were rather clunky.

I used to spar with mma gloves in Alaska. I like them both for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    Neat, keep us updated, even if my gear does the job for now, I might consider those as well .

Also, on Daredevil:

spoilers:
    Nice to see that Matt's lower brain is functioning as usual, if you catch my drift /s.

On a more positive note, him having flash grenades is such a great and obvious idea, I wonder if someone considered it before, and if not, why it hasn't been done until now.
    end of spoilers
    I’ll let you know.

How is the current run of Daredevil?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    These shin guards feel pretty good. The last ones I had were rather clunky.
    I've never had shin guards. Some of the people where I sparred used them, but I just...well...admittedly, there were times when I wished I had them, but not DURING the spar, if you get my meaning. Like, after.

The next day.

I used to spar with mma gloves in Alaska. I like them both for different reasons.
    When I used to spar, grappling was most certainly on the menu. Couldn't really do that with boxing stuff on.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

It might sound dumb but one thing that I found rather disapointing in regards to Disney and Star Was is when I saw one of those stage shows from Disney World. It had Kylo and Vader teaming up in the thumbnail. I thought that would be a prtty cool none canon story.

Only for them to turn out to be just force cave ilusions in the show.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    I’ll let you know.

How is the current run of Daredevil?
    It's okay. Better than normal for a 'character loses all of their ability and needs to train up again', even with Elektra showing up (ugh, gag). Art is good, characterization is pretty solid, but Matt completely losing his ability to the point where he's getting rolled by complete normals is too much of an attempt to line the comic up with the Netflix stuff. Still, that didn't stick around TOO long. I hope.

And complicated stuff happening with Fisk, so that's nice as well.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate