Page 759 of 2461 FirstFirst ... 25965970974975575675775875976076176276376980985912591759 ... LastLast
Results 11,371 to 11,385 of 36910
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Steve Orlando is generally really good at comics
    Not saying his story was poor, or anything of that ilk. Just...research. Get at least the basics correct, is all.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Not saying his story was poor, or anything of that ilk. Just...research. Get at least the basics correct, is all.
    Eh, sometimes Realism needs to take a backseat for a cool moment.

Dunno if this comic qualifies, cuz I haven't read it, but the point stands

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Eh, sometimes Realism needs to take a backseat for a cool moment.

Dunno if this comic qualifies, cuz I haven't read it, but the point stands
    I'm okay with cool moments. What I'm not okay with are cool moments that simply flat-out are based on incorrect knowledge of How Things Work™.

Like, okay...let's say you have a character who, for whatever reason, is getting their ass kicked. They're busted up. They have broken bones. But because of some reason -- power of love/friendship, denial of pain, whatever -- they somehow turn it around and totally kick the rear of the person who was killing them a moment ago? Who are, themselves, undamaged to this point? It's not my thing, I don't like it, it's pretty unrealistic, but it's not something I just say 'that's crap writing'. I just say 'I hate that trope.'

Or, for example, you have someone by dint of training alone capable of perceiving bullets in flight, of being fast enough to literally run along thrown swords, or can catch five arrows between their fingers? Okay, that's impossible for a real-world human, but we're postulating superpowers and the like, so cool.

However, here we have a claim that 'the aura of silence around this character causes people to lose their balance. NOT because the aura has some special anti-balance properties, but because "if no sound gets into the inner ear, it ruins your equilibrium".' As if this is not a superpower effect, or special training, but simply a fact of the biology of everyone.

This is totally NOT how the inner ear regulates balance. At ALL. It has nothing to do with noise, silence, whatever. Edit: though if noise is loud enough it can cause vibrations in liquid, which could LEAD to some balance issues, but that's not the situation here at all.

It would be similar to making a situation where a car hits someone and shatters around them, then stating 'That car crashed into the character and didn't hurt them because cars are made of shaving cream.' Well, no, cars are NOT made of shaving cream. A better thing to say might have been 'because the character has super-durability'. Or 'because THAT SPECIFIC CAR was made of shaving cream.' But stating something factually incorrect -- all cars are made of shaving cream -- does not make for a good explanation.

A better example might be 'My aura lowers the air pressure around people, which naturally causes the bacteria of their body to multiply at hyperspeed and make them sick.' Well, no, air pressure does not do that to the bacteria in the body. Stating 'I have a magical aura that cause the bacteria in people's bodies to run wild and nauseate them', that would be fine. But claiming that the air pressure change is what's causing the bacteria to hypermultiply or whatever, that's just...ugh. No.

My examples are somewhat exaggerated, but the idea is there. ^_^ That's the kind of crap that tosses the realism out of story in a very bad way.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-19-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I probably should have mentioned my 'favorite' as well: Punching nosebones into brains (not talking about caving the face to do it, I'm talking about that martial art thing that gets bandied about from time to time).

No. That **** does not fly, unless characters in whatever story is taking place have long, impossibly tough and sharp nosebones that can be lined up with a gap in their skulls*.

* Non-fictional humans don't, in case that's not clear. We barely have a nose-overhang-ridge, and it's lined up with exactly zero gaps in the skull.
    Why are we here?

I probably should have mentioned my 'favorite' as well: Punching nosebones into brains (not talking about caving the face to do it, I'm talking about that martial art thing that gets bandied about from time to time).

No. That **** does not fly, unless characters in whatever story is taking place have long, impossibly tough and sharp nosebones that can be lined up with a gap in their skulls*.

* Non-fictional humans don't, in case that's not clear. We barely have a nose-overhang-ridge, and it's lined up with exactly zero gaps in the skull.
    Sharp is merely saying this to keep the forbidden and secret truths from seeing the light of day.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Sharp is merely saying this to keep the forbidden and secret truths from seeing the light of day.
    *rummages through files*

Gundam again.jpg
    Why are we here?

You cannot hide the truth for long.

Soon I will have an army of nosebone-into-brain punching Shoggoth.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

You cannot hide the truth for long.

Soon I will have an army of nosebone-into-brain punching Shoggoth.
    Oh, jeez....

GTFO Gundam 2.jpg
    Why are we here?

Oh, jeez....

GTFO Gundam 2.jpg
    Oh my gosh you have multiple. Fantastic.

... I can't fight that. You win.

Arx Inosaan

Oh my gosh you have multiple. Fantastic.

... I can't fight that. You win.
    I found the model one a long time ago, and have been awaiting the correct moment to deploy it.

Thank you for the opportunity. ^_^
    Why are we here?

I found the model one a long time ago, and have been awaiting the correct moment to deploy it.

Thank you for the opportunity. ^_^
    Anytime ! ^^

Arx Inosaan

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    one of the best fights in star wars.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    one of the best fights in star wars.
    Downright beautiful.

spoilers:

Sadly Palpy's big dramatic return ends with a bit of a dud in 9.

I won't spoil but....yeah. It's not great.
    end of spoilers
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Downright beautiful.

spoilers:

Sadly Palpy's big dramatic return ends with a bit of a dud in 9.

I won't spoil but....yeah. It's not great.
    end of spoilers
    i saw the reviews and the spoilers for it from youtubers. (because i'm not gonna watch it)

yeah. you see why jeremy jahns was so damn sad.