Page 78 of 2453 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879808182881281785781078 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 36785
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    And this is why art is subjective. You can’t be objectively wrong about liking something.

I mean, apart from Jar-Jar. Liking Jar-Jar can be empirically proven to be wrong.
    Yarp, we are allowed to like different things and see the same thing from different perspectives.

Astonishing Member

I haven't seen the Force Awakens, but I saw The Last Jedi. TFA just didn't get my attention, and I love Star Wars.

Given that I wasn't actively influenced by the first movie, my general thoughts were "Eh. Not bad."

I mean, the entire plot of TFA pretty much was a rehash of the OT, with a few twists I've had years to learn about, but nothing outside of Han made me think I missed anything by not seeing the first movie in this one.

I can appreciate many of the complaints (Snoke, Reys family, Luke fucking off) of TLJ, but not be that influenced by them. Which, maybe makes me luckier than some, since I'm not going to be that invested in 'Jesus, all this build up about snoke, to kill him off", etc. And I won't feel trolled, since, pretty much even the film itself tells you it's going out of its way to be a subversion, not give answers, etc.

So, I'd say it was okay--at least on it's own merits--but I feel like it was shades of ESB. I like the themes it was going for--and I would maybe say it's the most overt in that sense-- but, I think if you take the movie by itself, it was fun, but nothing really amazing from most standpoints, although it was different from your 'traditional' SW, which I consider both good and bad in some senses.

I'd honestly put it beneath Ep III---Which I think gets no respect, and ranks pretty high on my Star Wars listing--and Rogue One, which I thought was really damn good.

Admittedly, I half expect the next ep to be like "PSYCH, THERE ARE ANSWERS TO STUFF" and then have to revise my estimate.

I mean, I kinda wonder what the plan is now, since the entire resistance is down to like a hand full of dudes, but I do feel they would have to do something amazing to cover this in like two hours, or have a bunch of supplementary material, or go for hit squad or something.

I did find DJ to be one of my favorite characters, though. That dood is mah boi.

But, I digress.
    Last edited by Miburo; 09-18-2018 at 03:59 PM.

So, I feel more positive about the Avatar adaptation. Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino are showrunners and they said in a press release that Netflix is committed to their artistic vision. They want to "go deeper," and realise the series on as cinematic a scale as possible.

They've also said no whitewashing, the cast will be culturally appropriate.

I am so much more receptive to this series now.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    So, I feel more positive about the Avatar adaptation. Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino are showrunners and they said in a press release that Netflix is committed to their artistic vision. They want to "go deeper," and realise the series on as cinematic a scale as possible.

I was terrified it was going to be another shitshow like the movie, but now my fears have been assuaged for now. I'm interested to see what they come up with.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Mighty Member

I am just worried about the special effects. In live action series they usually try to have powers that don't require a lot of CG or special effects. I am not sure practical effects will work with any bending other than air and fire. For air all you need is wire work and a large fan for the most part. Not so much water or earth bending. Firebending at least can use flamethrowers. Then you have that almost all the animals are specifically different to the point a normal bear was considered weird by the Gaang. It just seems like the worst kind of series to make live action because it's not low fantasy by any means.

BANNED

While Bryan and Michael are talented, I feel the absence of the other guy who was one of their head writers (I can't remember his name) on Avatar might hurt the live action version, much like his absence hurt Legend of Korra. Not that they don't still do good stuff mind you.

Coincidently Dragon Prince (by the aforementioned writer), is currently up on Netflix right now and is pretty damn good. Best way to describe it is Avatar in a more western, talken esque setting.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

an almost scientific breakdown of "rap devil" and "killshot".

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

While that is cool, I wonder if they will be ABLE to make it look as cool as the cartoon. I mean the movie had big-budget SFX money, and look at how good THEIR bending looked.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

I stumbled upon Yukito Kishiro's (Battle Angel Alita) Youtube Channel by accident recently.

Watching the guy craft a page is something to behold. I thought his inks were digital since Last Order, turns out it's just been the shade and texture fills.

However, this being Yukito Kishiro, there's only a handful of process videos uploaded, the rest are blogs of his pet pugs.

Kishiro is so damn talented.

Also the story telling the Mars Chronicle has been really good as well recently.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    While that is cool, I wonder if they will be ABLE to make it look as cool as the cartoon. I mean the movie had big-budget SFX money, and look at how good THEIR bending looked.
    Budget for the move was 150 million in 2010. That's a bigish budget but it's not earth shattering.

Huh, through looking that up, I also found out that the movie was a financial success worldwide. Go figure.

But the problem with that film was not how they tried to CG the effects, it more based on how they choose to shoot them.

The camera work and editing in TLA is some of the more bizarre things about that film. If they'd constructed their scenes better and given the editors and VFX guys good stuff to work with, the film would not have been as terrible.

You'd still have terrible casting, a bad script, woeful performances and pacing that was all over the place, but the fights would have been decent.

Crossposting this here:

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    I stumbled upon Yukito Kishiro's (Battle Angel Alita) Youtube Channel by accident recently.

Watching the guy craft a page is something to behold. I thought his inks were digital since Last Order, turns out it's just been the shade and texture fills.

However, this being Yukito Kishiro, there's only a handful of process videos uploaded, the rest are blogs of his pet pugs.
    ...In 2010's trend of producing anime adaptations of old long-running series(both manga AND live action i.e. Devilman, Hoshin Engi, Orphen, Ultraman, Superhuman Syber Squad, etc.), why haven't we gotten a green light for a Battle Angel Alita anime yet?
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

BANNED

Nice to see HxH get so many reps, I think there's no way that DBZ and Naruto get less than 4 at this rate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    Nice to see HxH get so many reps, I think there's no way that DBZ and Naruto get less than 4 at this rate.

It would be nice if we could get five for each series.

I'm hoping for Kakashi and Sakura for Naruto, we'll probably get Madara too.

And for Bleach I'd like Kenpachi and Ulquiorra. Yhwach would be a neat surprise though.