Page 798 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 29869874878879479579679779879980080180280884889812981798 ... LastLast
Results 11,956 to 11,970 of 36572
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Yeah, that just sounds about right.

You'd think he'd have more progression after his second fight with Deku. He does work with people now and he's able to do more than just fight whenever a villain shows up.

But he's also still an abrasive little **** in basically any and every form of social interaction and I got over that joke a while back. It would be nice if people in the story and the story itself could just tell him to not be an ******* just once. Especially Deku.

Thinking about it, it's a bit similar to my main issue with Itachi. He did horrible things and his batshit insane plan for Sasuke is one of the main reasons why Sasuke was so messed up in the first place. But nobody ever acknowledges this, every single time the guy is brought up everybody praises him for what a fantastic saint of a person he was. Actually one person mentions how messed up his actions were, Itachi himself. But it's more like "Whupps, my bad." rather than anything actually substantial. Just once during the series' run I wish somebody would've mentioned that a majority of Itachi's actions just made things worse at least.
    The Itachi comparison isn't exactly fair I feel.

Itachi was, initially, portrayed as a mass-murdering monster who was responsible for Sasuke being as psychologically damaged as he was. There was criticism of his actions inherent to that interpretation in the story.

The problem came later when he it was revealed that he was forced to commit said mass-murder under duress by the government, did so, then became a terrorist to try and stop the terrorism and also reform the government from the outside and... traumatised his brother to... protect him? Buh?!

While many parts of Naruto are well written and thought out, Itachi and his motivations were not. There's an audible and palpable narrative clunk as Kishimoto tries to shift tacks from "Itachi is a big old villain who murdered people to test his own strength or whatever and that's bad," to "Itachi was a gentle soul who murdered his entire family/clan in order to kill off an impending coup d'etat fuelled by a combination of systemic prejudice and a mass genetic predisposition towards poor mental health, and this is... good.. apparently?"

Even under the best of circumstances, the second is a really hard thing to land as a narrative beat and Kishimoto did not frame this complex position well enough to land it at all.

Bakugou is more a product of lazy writing.

Nah, that was The Dog.

I actually argued that Mineta's quirk is somewhat more useful than a simple cinder block.
    At least a cinder block isn't a sex pest

Heard this was one of the good arena fighters. Normall, I'd be happy for that alone...but then I saw this game had some G Gundam reps and now I'm hype lol.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    new one piece out.

roger's journey has ended. and he made some claims about the D and the one piece.

more seaking and joyboy stuff.

oden returns to wano and he doesn't like what orochi has done with the place.
    I wonder what pl happen that stops Oden from ending Orochi then and there. Either it's the clone-clone fruit user that he ends up killing or Kaido is making a beeline right towards the palace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Oden's pissed rampage looks real freaking cool there at the end. It's going to be interesting to see just how he fares against Kaido. I mean, this is the part where the story turns super tragic, but I still want to see how far he can get against Kaido.

And I love Oden's false descriptions of the farewells.
    "No tears were shed. None whatsoever. We were all super cool about saying good bye and didn't cry rivers. No sir. Just manly men saying manly stoic farewells to great friends."
    Iirc, it was said that Oden was one of the few who actually managed to put a dent in Kaidou. So whenever we see them scrap, however brief, it should be a good one.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i don't think my mom knows what the term "grilling" means.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Finally made it to Beijing....In the 14 hour flight of hell.

Seriously, cannot sleep a damn wink.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Finally made it to Beijing....In the 14 hour flight of hell.

Seriously, cannot sleep a damn wink.
    sounds like hell.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I know your pain. Have done the Ottawa-Tokyo (which ends up being 'Toronto-Tokyo' or '*********Tokyo') twice.

After nine hours, it's well-and-truly painful.

After twelve hours it's agonizing.

And then it just keeps going.

And, stupid me, I'm doing it again this year.

I love visiting Japan too much! *bursts into tears*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I know your pain. Have done the Ottawa-Tokyo (which ends up being 'Toronto-Tokyo' or '*********Tokyo') twice.

After nine hours, it's well-and-truly painful.

After twelve hours it's agonizing.

And then it just keeps going.

And, stupid me, I'm doing it again this year.

I love visiting Japan too much! *bursts into tears*
    I cannot blame ya.

The lousy part is that due to a delay, I completely missed my flight to Vietnam...And the next flight won't be available until two days.

...Damn right the airline is giving me a free hotel room for 2 days.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    I cannot blame ya.

The lousy part is that due to a delay, I completely missed my flight to Vietnam...And the next flight won't be available until two days.

...Damn right the airline is giving me a free hotel room for 2 days.
    Well, at least your body will have a chance to relax. And you can see it little of somewhere.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

In regards to the MHA conversation, I dislike Bakugou too. But I'm not going to say he hasn't had any character growth, but it's been so small and subtle over the course of 257 chapters that he feels static, and no one, not the teachers or his fellow students, have called him out on his ****. Well, except for the lead up to the USJ arc, but that was more mild ribbing than anything. And maybe Gang Orca said something, but that obviously didn't stick.

And this is especially jarring compared to the growth of other characters like Todoroki and Endeavour. Even the villain Tomura is getting character growth. Hell, Gentle had character growth in his arc.

But Bakugou? He's pretty much the same as he was in chapter one, and everybody treats him as a lovable scamp for it.

And I agree, anybody would be better than Mineta. And I don't remember nominating a cinder block as better that Mineta, but it's true. And in regards to Dark Soul's saying Mineta's Quirk is useful, just add a turret onto the cinder block that shoots a ball-shaped sticky restraint, and it becomes twice as useful as Mineta. Tie a rope to it, and it becomes three times as useful as Mineta (hand-to-hand bludgeon, mid-range bludgeon, and restraining balls).

And you don't have to worry about it sexually harassing women and making creepy comments to 8-year-olds.
    Last edited by The Dog; 01-21-2020 at 12:07 PM.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

BANNED

I'm not so sure the other classmates give Bakugo as much of a free rider as you are saying. Aside from Kirishima none of them really seem to like him and he's at best tolerated by them.

i'm gonna have to throw my hat in the "not a fan of bakugou" ring. i think he has potential for growth but compared to a lot of other characters, his act is getting kind of old.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The Itachi comparison isn't exactly fair I feel.

Itachi was, initially, portrayed as a mass-murdering monster who was responsible for Sasuke being as psychologically damaged as he was. There was criticism of his actions inherent to that interpretation in the story.

The problem came later when he it was revealed that he was forced to commit said mass-murder under duress by the government, did so, then became a terrorist to try and stop the terrorism and also reform the government from the outside and... traumatised his brother to... protect him? Buh?!

While many parts of Naruto are well written and thought out, Itachi and his motivations were not. There's an audible and palpable narrative clunk as Kishimoto tries to shift tacks from "Itachi is a big old villain who murdered people to test his own strength or whatever and that's bad," to "Itachi was a gentle soul who murdered his entire family/clan in order to kill off an impending coup d'etat fuelled by a combination of systemic prejudice and a mass genetic predisposition towards poor mental health, and this is... good.. apparently?"

Even under the best of circumstances, the second is a really hard thing to land as a narrative beat and Kishimoto did not frame this complex position well enough to land it at all.

Bakugou is more a product of lazy writing.
    My comment was less about the quality of the writing for the two characters and more me saying "I dislike these two characters for somewhat similar reasons."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    At least a cinder block isn't a sex pest
    True and the most important aspect really.

My point is that Mineta's quirk is actually pretty fun and useful. If only it belonged to a better character. Like a cinderblock.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I'm not so sure the other classmates give Bakugo as much of a free rider as you are saying. Aside from Kirishima none of them really seem to like him and he's at best tolerated by them.
    Kaminari is almost as close to Bakugo as Kirishima, and Sero seems to be in that same range, all of them ribbing on him as friends. The others mostly shrug off his comments even when he's being really freaking rude and everybody thinks he's kind of awesome since his so strong and good at a lot of things.

Extraordinary Member

You know, Mineta is the perfect fodder for SI fanfics, since that would allow someone to keep his actually interesting power and dump literally everything else about him.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.