Page 847 of 2458 FirstFirst ... 34774779783784384484584684784884985085185789794713471847 ... LastLast
Results 12,691 to 12,705 of 36861

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Soooo apparently, Palpatine's son you saw for two seconds in Rise Of Skywalker was actually a failed clone of his that didn't get force powers for some reason and Palptaine's body in the movie was itself a clone and Rey is the daughter of Clone-Son Palpatine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Soooo apparently, Palpatine's son you saw for two seconds in Rise Of Skywalker was actually a failed clone of his that didn't get force powers for some reason and Palptaine's body in the movie was itself a clone and Rey is the daughter of Clone-Son Palpatine.
    Now I want the movie to have bought this up. Rey's reaction would have been priceless.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

So she’s his ‘daughter’ technically, not grand daughter.

Interesting, if not really necessary.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    So she’s his ‘daughter’ technically, not grand daughter.

Interesting, if not really necessary.
    "Interesting, if not really necessary." kinda sums up everything about the Palpatine-Rey connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    "Interesting, if not really necessary." kinda sums up everything about the Palpatine-Rey connection.
    I didn’t mind it, but I had secretly hoped she was somehow related to Kenobi myself (not necessarily his grand daughter, but maybe a grand niece or something since Obi-wan was found as a baby and didn’t know his birth family AFAIK).
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    I didn’t mind it, but I had secretly hoped she was somehow related to Kenobi myself (not necessarily his grand daughter, but maybe a grand niece or something since Obi-wan was found as a baby and didn’t know his birth family AFAIK).
    I was personally a big supporter of the "She's nobody from nowhere" idea, since I'm kinda tired of the destiny narrative and I liked the way the handled that aspect in The Last Jedi.

So I was quite disappointed when she was a Palpatine of all things.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I was personally a big supporter of the "She's nobody from nowhere" idea, since I'm kinda tired of the destiny narrative and I liked the way the handled that aspect in The Last Jedi.

I share this view.

I didn't bother seeing RotS, because everything I heard about it sounded like it would just make me cross. Everything I've learned about it since seems to vindicate that choice XD

When my housemate told me about the Palpatine thing, I literally yelled "Oh come ON!"

That would have been fine too if they hadn’t done the whole visions and questioning thing in the first one. By setting up the possibility of a mysterious past, they only gave themselves two options (plus how powerful naturally she was), either she’s got some bloodline mojo or she doesn’t. Either way was going to upset fans.

I would have preferred it not be an issue. Don’t make her an orphan, don’t give her a mysterious past. Just let her be a force sensitive and let her actually ‘learn’ from Luke or Leia.

As it is, since they did give her the option of a mysterious past and the like, I thought the Kenobi connection would have been more fun. Anakin and Obi-wan were such a good and renowned team that I felt if Ben and Rey teamed up in the end (and they did) that it would have felt like a full circle of those two working together again, only it doesn’t end tragically.

Still, I did find enjoyment in the last movie. It certainly wasn’t the worst Star Wars movie.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I share this view.

I didn't bother seeing RotS, because everything I heard about it sounded like it would just make me cross. Everything I've learned about it since seems to vindicate that choice XD

When my housemate told me about the Palpatine thing, I literally yelled "Oh come ON!"
    As I personally detest the whole 'you gotta be special to be special' trope, I found the whole idea rather repellent, myself.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    As I personally detest the whole 'you gotta be special to be special' trope, I found the whole idea rather repellent, myself.
    I have also become more and more disenfranchised with the notion of chosen ones as I've gotten older.

Smacks of blood purity and eugenics stuff.

I share this view.

I completely agree about the Palpatine thing, but we can’t call it RotS. It’s RoS. RotS is Revenge of the Sith.

[/pedantry...fornow]

Chosen One/Destined One isn’t always a bad trope, it just depends on how the author/creator uses it.

Aang the Avatar is a good way to use the trope on my mind, as the nature of him being picked is utterly random.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

I have also become more and more disenfranchised with the notion of chosen ones as I've gotten older.

Smacks of blood purity and eugenics stuff.
    Pretty much. You're special if you're born that way, and if you're not...well, second-string at best.

The whole 'Harry Potter' and 'Muggles' thing I find exceptionally disturbing.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Pretty much. You're special if you're born that way, and if you're not...well, second-string at best.

The whole 'Harry Potter' and 'Muggles' thing I find exceptionally disturbing.
    Just playing devil’s advocate, but you’re fine with Marvel magic, which makes Jennifer Kale < Victor von Doom < Stephen Strange purely by dint of birth...?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Just playing devil’s advocate, but you’re fine with Marvel magic, which makes Jennifer Kale < Victor von Doom < Stephen Strange purely by dint of birth...?
    Nope. That's aptitude, similar to any skill.

ANYONE can learn magic in Marvel (unlike, for example, in DC), if we go by the original idea of magic and sorcery in Marvel. It's not that you're 'born with the gift', it's that 'learning to manipulate magic is a skill, and like any skill, you will have better or worse natural aptitude'. It's not something that separates the chosen ones from others, unless one wants to think that Mozart was, for example, some kind of superior human or person because he was born with a natural gift for piano.

There's a difference.
    Why are we here?