Page 851 of 2458 FirstFirst ... 35175180184184784884985085185285385485586190195113511851 ... LastLast
Results 12,751 to 12,765 of 36861
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Black Clover:spoilers:
    ....Did Gauche just die? Or is it his mirror double? God, I hope it's the latter. He's become one of my favorite BB and I've enjoyed his character development since he's become friends with Asta. And I don't want to see my OTP of him and Grey to go down in flames.

And it looks like Asta's demon power has gotten another boost from his rage, and he may actually lose control this time. Interestingly, we also get a brief flashback of a bloody figure speaking to Asta before his transformation. It could be his mother.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Without any destiny altering from Vanessa, Gauche does seem like the one most capable of duping out of a fatal blow thanks to his mirror clones. So here's hoping.

Oh god, did his mirror clones bleed or not before. I can't quite remember but this Gauche is definitely bleeding. Aaah!

Whoever the mysterious figure is, it's totally time we got some more information about Asta's past since Yuno's has been at least partly revealed.

With how poorly this fight is going and how Zenon monstered all of the Golden Dawn, I can't but worry about how things are going for Noelle.
    end of spoilers

My Hero Academia: Do you hear that echoing cheers of delight? That's all the KamiJiro shippers celebrating this latest chapter, and the Kaminari fans in general. Because it is totally awesome on both those fronts.

spoilers:
    Seriously, Jiro worrying specifically about Kaminari, and Kaminari thinking of Jiro (the person who matters most to him!!!) to get himself motivated enough to completely shut down a big threat. Just wow!

Tokoyami being a good friend to Kaminari and Cementoss getting to show off how devastating his quirk can be is top notch content.
    end of spoilers

Now excuse me while I rejoin the KamiJiro and Kaminari cheering.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 03-08-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Keith MUTHAFUCKIN David

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Okay, that looks dope as ****.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by kingofpie View Post
    keith muthafuckin david

my boy lives!
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    Without any destiny altering from Vanessa, Gauche does seem like the one most capable of duping out of a fatal blow thanks to his mirror clones. So here's hoping.

Oh god, did his mirror clones bleed or not before. I can't quite remember but this Gauche is definitely bleeding. Aaah!

Whoever the mysterious figure is, it's totally time we got some more information about Asta's past since Yuno's has been at least partly revealed.

With how poorly this fight is going and how Zenon monstered all of the Golden Dawn, I can't but worry about how things are going for Noelle.
    end of spoilers

My Hero Academia: Do you hear that echoing cheers of delight? That's all the KamiJiro shippers celebrating this latest chapter, and the Kaminari fans in general. Because it is totally awesome on both those fronts.

spoilers:
    Seriously, Jiro worrying specifically about Kaminari, and Kaminari thinking of Jiro (the person who matters most to him!!!) to get himself motivated enough to completely shut down a big threat. Just wow!

Tokoyami being a good friend to Kaminari and Cementoss getting to show off how devastating his quirk can be is top notch content.
    end of spoilers

Now excuse me while I rejoin the KamiJiro and Kaminari cheering.
    I'm too busy wondering why they brought the guy who has one big attack then becomes a liability with them on the front lines. Did they need a meat shield to throw in front of an actually useful fighter?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    I'm too busy wondering why they brought the guy who has one big attack then becomes a liability with them on the front lines. Did they need a meat shield to throw in front of an actually useful fighter?
    In the last two battles we've seen him in Kaminari's been a compotent and reliable team member without using his deblitating all or nothing move (I have not seen Heroes Rising so I have no idea how he performs there). And litterally in this very chapter he shuts down a powerful attack all by himself.

So I don't really see the point in downplaying Kaminari's character progression.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 03-09-2020 at 02:07 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I mean this discussion does kind of ignore all the stories were someone is the chosen one because they are worthy, rather than the other way around.
    I'm not actually talking about 'Chosen Ones' (though I'm not a huge fan of prophecies pointing to single people either, etc). I'm more talking about 'you need to be special to be special'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Ehh, it is mentioned few times in the books that only people who really think that the magically gifted a better than muggles are those that stick to older traditions and ways of thinking. And if the magical community wants to properly survive they do have to interact with muggles and live with them. They're admittedly not great at it in general. But looking down on muggles is generally seen as varying degrees poor behavior.
    They all still call them 'muggles'. I'm sorry, but it sounds rather derogatory. Calling someone a Swede makes sense (Swedish). Calling someone a Brit makes sense for the same reason. Even Canuck has some historical reason, and contains part of the country. Etc.

But 'muggle'? That...doesn't sound like anything that would be simply indicating 'people who don't have magic'. It sounds a whole lot more like 'muddle', or the like. Makes it sound like one is referring to them as 'foolish' or 'simple'.

I've always found it derogatory.

Going from the actual source....

"Rowling has stated she created the word "Muggle" from "mug", an English term for someone who is easily fooled. She added the "-gle" to make it sound less demeaning and more "cuddly"."

Yeah, not exactly a perspective that screams 'equal' or 'fair'.

But mileage, it may vary.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-09-2020 at 06:28 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm not actually talking about 'Chosen Ones' (though I'm not a huge fan of prophecies pointing to single people either, etc). I'm more talking about 'you need to be special to be special'.

They all still call them 'muggles'. I'm sorry, but it sounds rather derogatory. Calling someone a Swede makes sense (Swedish). Calling someone a Brit makes sense for the same reason. Even Canuck has some historical reason, and contains part of the country. Etc.

But 'muggle'? That...doesn't sound like anything that would be simply indicating 'people who don't have magic'. It sounds a whole lot more like 'muddle', or the like. Makes it sound like one is referring to them as 'foolish' or 'simple'.

I've always found it derogatory.

Going from the actual source....

"Rowling has stated she created the word "Muggle" from "mug", an English term for someone who is easily fooled. She added the "-gle" to make it sound less demeaning and more "cuddly"."

Yeah, not exactly a perspective that screams 'equal' or 'fair'.

But mileage, it may vary.
    Calling normal people muggles, isn't really derogatory, anymore so than a muggle using the term witch or Wizard. Don't forget in universe an actual derogatory term for muggles, with mudblood.

Anyway, you might have a point if Harry Potter portrayed Wizards as a better or more enlightened society than muggles, but the story goes out of it's way to show that, that isn't the case and that wizards really are no more enlightened than muggles and are actualy pretty behind the times in a lot of ways.

As for being special, to be be special. I can see potential for eugenics stuff depending on how it's handled. But being special in of itself is too vague and broad a term to paint all of them as that kind of thing. Because any character who has natural talent for something or a hidden potential, would qualify as special.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I know I'm not allowed to be political in this thread, so I'll keep this brief and vague.

Boy, COVID-19 is really showing up how little certain politicians in my country just do not give a **** about the disabled and the poor.

That's all I say, but I will comment that I sent a message to housemate in reaction to a recent statement by the Prime Minister which contained the word "bastard" eight times.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    Calling normal people muggles, isn't really derogatory, anymore so than a muggle using the term witch or Wizard. Don't forget in universe an actual derogatory term for muggles, with mudblood.
    Witch or Wizard is how they term themselves. Normal people don't walk around calling themselves muggles -- it's a term reserved for them by the people who 'aren't them', and it's similar enough to 'mug' (as noted) and 'muddle' to absolutely reek of condesention and superiority..

Also, that there is an even worse term doesn't make it right, just as it doesn't make the different levels of slurs correct in this world.

...also, Mud-blood isn't a 'muggle'; it's a wizard or witch that has one or more non-wizard/witch parents.

Anyway, you might have a point if Harry Potter portrayed Wizards as a better or more enlightened society than muggles, but the story goes out of it's way to show that, that isn't the case and that wizards really are no more enlightened than muggles and are actualy pretty behind the times in a lot of ways.
    I believe my point is that it's a prejudiced, derogatory word. Which everyone uses. Including the main characters. Whether or not the society is enlightened has no bearing on whether the word is a slur.

I mean, 100 years ago it wasn't as enlightened, and people thought nothing of using all kinds of slurs about race, sexuality, or the like. That doesn't obviate the fact that they were slurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I know I'm not allowed to be political in this thread, so I'll keep this brief and vague.

Boy, COVID-19 is really showing up how little certain politicians in my country just do not give a **** about the disabled and the poor.

That's all I say, but I will comment that I sent a message to housemate in reaction to a recent statement by the Prime Minister which contained the word "bastard" eight times.
    Is this the business about 'we can't possibly do meetings via telecom or the like, it's too hard, sorry disabled people!' Then 'Covid-19 has arrived! All meetings will be via telecom because the abled are at risk!'

If so, I've heard about it.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Apparently there is actually an American term for 'muggle' in the Harry Potter universe. It's 'No-Mag'.

I didn't know that, and am surprised to see it's descriptive rather than condescending/pejorative (though I expect it could be used that way).
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Is this the business about 'we can't possibly do meetings via telecom or the like, it's too hard, sorry disabled people!' Then 'Covid-19 has arrived! All meetings will be via telecom because the abled are at risk!'

If so, I've heard about it.
    No, this was a more recent statement where the Prime Minister of my country posited that it might "better" if "the country just took the virus on the chin,"

Cue me exploding with anger at my desk.

Total bastard. Unfeeling, rich, privileged bag of excrement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    No, this was a more recent statement where the Prime Minister of my country posited that it might "better" if "the country just took the virus on the chin,"

Cue me exploding with anger at my desk.

Total bastard. Unfeeling, rich, privileged bag of excrement.
    Oh, that's right up there with someone saying 'it would be better if everyone just got Covid-19 RIGHT NOW, and those who got over it, got over it.' You know, better for the ECONOMY.

Your PM is an interesting piece of work. But then, so is mine. He's just a little more subtle.
    Why are we here?