Page 852 of 2452 FirstFirst ... 35275280284284884985085185285385485585686290295213521852 ... LastLast
Results 12,766 to 12,780 of 36776
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Interesting notation regarding magic and the lack thereof in Harry Potter. It's from wiki, but backed up.

"However, according to Ron's Aunt Muriel, the custom with Squibs has been to send them to Muggle schools and encourage them to integrate into the Muggle world, which is "much kinder" than keeping them in the wizarding world where they will always be "second-class". In contrast to most of the wizarding world's acceptance and even respect for Muggles and Muggle-born wizards and witches, it is often considered embarrassing to have a Squib in the family."

So...wizard kids born of 'muggles' get respect because...what, they've transcended their origins? But kids who are muggles, but are born of wizards, are 'embarrassing' or 'second-class'?

No bad vibes here, no. O_o
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

BANNED

Look I don't want to sound like I'm dismissing the virus, because measures absolutely should be taken to protect those who are vulnerable to it.

But I don't understand why there is such a panic over this when, it's no more lethal than your average case of the flu.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Oh, that's right up there with someone saying 'it would be better if everyone just got Covid-19 RIGHT NOW, and those who got over it, got over it.' You know, better for the ECONOMY.

Your PM is an interesting piece of work. But then, so is mine. He's just a little more subtle.
    Meanwhile in America, there's an actual risk that the President has been exposed to the Coronavirus.

There was someone with Corona at CPAC (A conservative convention which had a lot of republican politicians in attendance). The Cahirman of CPAC was confirmed to have been exposed to him, and said Chairman shook hands with Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    That might have been amongst the worst animation they've ever done, like mediocre flash animation level(which it basically was)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    Look I don't want to sound like I'm dismissing the virus, because measures absolutely should be taken to protect those who are vulnerable to it.

But I don't understand why there is such a panic over this when, it's no more lethal than your average case of the flu.
    Because it's new and that means the mainstream newsmedia can hype it up and get you watching them as they tell you about the number of people who caught it and how many died to keep you scared and watching.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Anyone who thinks this kind of thing is new doesn't remember SARS or bird/swine/whatever flu, this one is making waves because of how infectious it is and how badly some countries like China and Iran have been at being transparent about it, but it's highly likely it's no more dangerous than the normal flu once real data about it eventually becomes known

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Because it's new and that means the mainstream newsmedia can hype it up and get you watching them as they tell you about the number of people who caught it and how many died to keep you scared and watching.
    I get that, but we have had more lethal outbreaks in the not to distant memory, that didn't get this much media attention (eg Ebola).

On a side note, I find it bizarrely ironic that the current Precure season, has a healing theme and germ based villains and started airing around the same time as the outbreak. Obviously, it wasn't made to capitalise on that since it was advertised as being like that long before the outbreak started, but it's still a pretty wild coincidence.
    Last edited by TheLastDalek; 03-09-2020 at 10:45 AM.

I get that, but we have had more lethal outbreaks in the not to distant memory, that didn't get this much media attention (eg Ebola).

On a side note, I find it bizarrely ironic that the current Precure season, has a healing theme and germ based villains and started airing around the same time as the outbreak. Obviously, it wasn't made to capitalise on that since it was advertised as being like that long before the outbreak started, but it's still a pretty wild coincidence.
    Like I said, it's new, and a new disease is easier to make scary than a disease that's been around a while like Ebola.
    - C.S. Lewis

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I see FrenchGemini has returned.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Just to address the maths.

COVID-19 is 3x more infectious than conventional flu and 30x more deadly. Granted, that leaves the fatality rate at around 4-6% of a population who encounter the virus but, at the very high infection rate, that leads to a lot of dead people.

Also, it's less about fatalities for me. It's about poor people who are on zero hour contracts who get sick and still have to make rent. A lot of people are vulnerable to this thing and my government is reacting poorly.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 03-09-2020 at 12:14 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dtuwGjx7DE

Soooo gonna arrest her Kate? Gonna put a stop to this psychopath whom you claim to have finally given up on?

Kate: "Nah, I'm gonna go make out with my crush."

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

First look at Stormfront from The Boys Season 2.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dtuwGjx7DE

Soooo gonna arrest her Kate? Gonna put a stop to this psychopath whom you claim to have finally given up on?

Kate: "Nah, I'm gonna go make out with my crush."

Why you continue to watch this, or any DCEU show, at this point boggles my mind. Sans Gotham, they're a proven clustercrap of bad writing and rampant character stupidity.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Why you continue to watch this, or any DCEU show, at this point boggles my mind. Sans Gotham, they're a proven clustercrap of bad writing and rampant character stupidity.
    Honestly, I've pretty much given up on the CW Shows. I fell out of Flash and Supergirl, Arrow's over and Batwoman is Batwoman. Good for a laugh but not well written.

I still watch Black Lightning on Netflix but that's about it.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator